Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, 6 YTBN Shot, Killed In Tuscon AZ

• News
  • Thread starter nismaratwork
  • Start date
In summary: I then went in the front door and around customer service to the copy machine. I was in the middle of copying when I heard a series of loud pops. I thought to myself: Why are people setting off firecrackers, don't they know that they could get in trouble with a member of congress so near? Then a couple came in covered with blood and other people rushed by to help. I continued to copy until I thought that this is stupid, I should either help or get out of the way. I walked over to where the shooting took place. There were people lying around I assume dead and injured. It was just like a scene from the movies. Blood everywhere. There
First call to get back on some meaningful discussion relevant to the OP.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there an update on her prognosis? I'm still stunned that someone could even survive this.

Math Is Hard said:
Is there an update on her prognosis? I'm still stunned that someone could even survive this.

To be shot through the brain and survive?

I agree, it can't be often that a person experiencing such a trauma can even respond to verbal commands as her doctors have reported.

Tough lady.

I hope she will pull through, but I fear that with these types of wounds, death can come suddenly and "inexplicably".

Math Is Hard said:

I heard (on CNN, I think) the bullet only passed through just one hemisphere of her brain, and that improves her prognosis. Now she's been put into a coma until the swelling goes down...it's just wait and see at this point. Must be hell on her loved ones.

lisab said:
I heard (on CNN, I think) the bullet only passed through just one hemisphere of her brain, and that improves her prognosis. Now she's been put into a coma until the swelling goes down...it's just wait and see at this point. Must be hell on her loved ones.

Did you see this segment with Dr. Sanjay Gupta onbrain injuries and the treatment of Rep. Giffords?
http://www.shoppingblog.com/blog/1091124

I'm pulling for her, too. I am so very sad for her and her family.

I didn't know it was only one brain hemisphere that had been been penetrated. I've read about brain surgeons doing hemisphere removals in children with severe epilepsy, and due to plasticity, they recover very nicely. Could adults also recover from these traumatic hemisphere injuries? From what I remember, younger people recover better.

A modest heroine speaks out.

Patricia Maisch, 61, was the woman who in the altercation with the gunman got hold of his magazine before he could reload.
Although others have already labelled her a hero, instrumental in stopping the shooting, she is adamant in this interview to limit her role to a tiny part after "two gentlemen" had pinned the gunman down, and that a third man grabbed the gun from him at the same time as she got hold of the magazine. She could easily have basked in the sun, by playing the grand heroine, but she chooses not to.

In a matter.of-fact way, as if it was the natural thing to do under the circumstances, she says that after the man was securely held down, she herself just went to find a roll of tissue paper to make a compression for a woman next to her with a bleeding head wound.

If we all can be as level-headed and compassionate as Mrs. Mairsch showed herself to be, the world would be a much better place:
http://www.foxnewsinsider.com/2011/01/09/patricia-maisch-im-not-the-hero-of-az-shooting/

Last edited by a moderator:
Math Is Hard said:

The latest that I heard from the University hospital doctors is that her survival is an optimistic wait and see situation.

The bullet entered the back of her head and traversed the entire length of the left hemisphere before it exited in the front.

They are optimistic because the bullet didn't pass through both hemispheres.

In gruesome detail, they removed a large section of her skull to avoid a pressure build up. They cleaned out bullet and bone fragments and removed some damaged tissue.

She is unable to open her eyes or speak, but she will resond to simple commands such as raising a finger.

If all goes well the section of skull will be replaced within several months.

arildno said:
Patricia Maisch, 61, was the woman who in the altercation with the gunman got hold of his magazine before he could reload.
Although others have already labelled her a hero, instrumental in stopping the shooting, she is adamant in this interview to limit her role to a tiny part after "two gentlemen" had pinned the gunman down, and that a third man grabbed the gun from him at the same time as she got hold of the magazine. She could easily have basked in the sun, by playing the grand heroine, but she chooses not to.

In a matter.of-fact way, as if it was the natural thing to do under the circumstances, she says that after the man was securely held down, she herself just went to find a roll of tissue paper to make a compression for a woman next to her with a bleeding head wound.

If we all can be as level-headed and compassionate as Mrs. Mairsch showed herself to be, the world would be a much better place:
http://www.foxnewsinsider.com/2011/01/09/patricia-maisch-im-not-the-hero-of-az-shooting/

I'm so glad you posted that. There has been too little coverage of the heroes who prevented further tragedy.

arildno said:

.. you see, the world IS full of good people.

I read once that the best politician is he / she who ain't one, and would refuse the job if offered to him / her.

What about that poor little girl that was killed ? During a brief reading of the front page of my newspaper this morning, I seemed to have read she was born on 9/11, and her birth was celebrated and used as a symbol of hope. The irony.

What about the shooter ? I also read briefly that he had a high hit rate for shots fired. If this was targetted (rather than shooting into a crowd), it would be extraordinary performance, and great cause for thought.

Anyhow, my condolences to the victims and their loved ones - and to the Republic.

I sympathise with the anguish you good people are feeling about this, and feel it too.

lisab said:

Edward has it, but I'd add that she can't open her eyes because it sounds as though her left orbit was shattered, that eye was nearly lost, and she's back in a medically induced coma.

A word about "recovery", and "prognosis" as I've heard it used here:

THERE IS NONE. Once someone has a bullet pass through their brain, you're dealing with:
-Initial wound track
-Fragments of bone acting lacerating the brain, driven by the bullet
-Secondary cavitation that only becomes evident upon necrosis of neurons many days or weeks later
-Swelling and the fear of herniation (why they removed a portion of her skull, in addition to protecting the brain)
-Infection... oh lord infection.

Then... for recovery, she's already ahead of the game, but if she lives AND wakes up again... I wouldn't be shocked anymore... this is one tough lady. I WOULD however be shocked if she doesn't spend the rest of her life severely disabled, should she ever regain primary mobility, if she wakes up... if she lives. This woman was shot, and the man who kept her alive on scene unfortunately had to apply pressure to the wound. I can't tell you how it makes me cringe to know the risk of infection as a result, and ANY time there's a catastrophic breach of the BBB.

It's also worth pointing out that she could wake up with slurred speech and right-sided weakness, which... would be the equivalent in my mind to a miracle. Once someone lives through this, it's waiting... waiting... and then if they recover... more waiting... a lifetime of putting the pieces back together.

re: Brady Bill comments: You mean, if she recovers she'd be a perfect advocate for a bill based on this (gun control or other), or that her astronaut husband would be a fairly sympathetic figure in her stead? Yeah... I think so too, because it doesn't matter what happned to who, or why... there's political hay to be made. *vomit*

OOOOOK... just when you thought a guy who shot 20 people couldn't get any creepier...

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/01/10/arizona.shooting.investigation/index.html?hpt=T1

CNN said:
But court documents released Sunday show that investigators found a letter from the congresswoman in a safe at the house where Loughner lived with his parents, thanking him for attending a similar 2007 event.

"Also recovered in the safe was an envelope with handwriting on the envelope stating 'I planned ahead,' and 'my assassination' and the name 'Giffords,' along with what appears to be Loughner's signature," the affidavit states.

So, maybe he had issues or a fixation with this woman, or maybe when he was looking for targets he remembered attending her meeting. Either way, this may have been "convenient", but it wasn't impulsive or random.

I don't think it is, per se, abnormal to keep a thank-you letter from a high ranking politician.

His murderous obsession might have developed much later than when he received it back in 2007; at a later stage when his general mental health worsened considerably.

Perhaps he was full of hopes, back then?
And then, those hopes all turned to ashes. Perhaps the bland, encouraging words given to him from Mrs. Giffords then took on some dark, sinister meaning he hadn't noticed before..

nismaratwork said:
http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/01/10/arizona.shooting.investigation/index.html?hpt=T1

CNN said:
But court documents released Sunday show that investigators found a letter from the congresswoman in a safe at the house where Loughner lived with his parents, thanking him for attending a similar 2007 event.

"Also recovered in the safe was an envelope with handwriting on the envelope stating 'I planned ahead,' and 'my assassination' and the name 'Giffords,' along with what appears to be Loughner's signature," the affidavit states.
This says to me that Loughner has been seriously and dangerously mentally ill for a long time and that he has had Giffords in his sights for a long time as well. No external prodding was needed. All that was needed was the opportunity that she was coming to / perceived insult that she was invading his home turf.

arildno said:
I don't think it is, per se, abnormal to keep a thank-you letter from a high ranking politician.

His murderous obsession might have developed much later than when he received it back in 2007; at a later stage when his general mental health worsened considerably.

And then, those hopes all turned to ashes. Perhaps the bland, encouraging words given to him from Mrs. Giffords then took on some dark, sinister meaning he hadn't noticed before..
I think this will explain better.

TUCSON, Ariz. – At an event roughly three years ago, Rep. Gabrielle Giffords took a question from Jared Loughner, the man accused of trying to assassinate her and killing six other people. According to two of his high school friends the question was essentially this: "What is government if words have no meaning?"

Loughner was angry about her response — she read the question and had nothing to say.

"He did not like government officials, how they spoke. Like they were just trying to cover up some conspiracy," one friend told The Associated Press on Sunday.

Both friends spoke on condition of anonymity, saying they wanted to avoid the publicity surrounding the case. To them, the question was classic Jared: confrontational, nonlinear and obsessed with how words create reality.

The friends' comments paint a picture bolstered by other former classmates and Loughner's own Internet postings: That of a social outcast with nihilistic, almost indecipherable beliefs steeped in mistrust and paranoia.

"If you call me a terrorist then the argument to call me a terrorist is Ad hominem," the 22-year-old wrote Dec. 15, part of a wide-ranging screed that was posted in video form and ended with this: "What's government if words don't have meaning?"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110110/ap_on_re_us/us_congresswoman_shot_gunman_11

arildno said:

It's possible... I was engaging in the unfortunate act of trying to find a rational causal chain with an irrational link: Loughner. Given the description of his past I have to say, he used (at least marijuana) drugs, dropped out of high school, was BOOTED from community college for outbursts in the classroom... more and more I suspect mid-onset of schizophrenia or bipolar with a sustained manic phase. The marijuana use, while not a cause, HAS been shown to be a risk factor in (sometimes) early emergence of psychosis... especially schizophrenia... and he'd have been the perfect age for it.

It's unusual for schizophrenics to be so violent and organized in their violence, but everyone is different, and it is a condition/disease with a course that tends to decline.

In the end, I suspect that you're correct: he probably attended those meetings because of his beliefs about the government, but a fixation on a particular person seems to be tangential to the act of lashing out at a representative of what he hated and feared. Above all this illustrates how hard it can be to predict this behaviour (hindsight makes it easy), and even when you confirm that troubling sign... who is the target?

D H said:
This says to me that Loughner has been seriously and dangerously mentally ill for a long time and that he has had Giffords in his sights for a long time as well. No external prodding was needed. All that was needed was the opportunity that she was coming to / perceived insult that she was invading his home turf.

Yep... I'm still placing my bets on schizophrenia given the age and writing. If not that, then DD:NOS, or prolonged use of hallucinogens or amphetamines.

Read my post #295 nismar, he was angry specificially at Giffords, aside from other problems he might have.

A couple I can't help feel sorry for are Jared's..parents.

Jared's Dad has been described as the stret a**hole, I guess that would mean the irate, asocial man screaming at neighbourhood kids to keep off his lawn, or stop laughing&playing outside his window. that doesn't make him a criminal, it doesn't make him into an objectively bad parent, either.

I don't think it can be any worse anguish than seeing your own children slowly go to pieces in front of you.
The hardest part is probably to face up to that that is actually what is happening. Many will rather go into denial, hoping against hope that "everything will turn out better tomorrow", clinging at the ever rarer "good moments".

It is not easy to admit defeat (particularly about the well-being of your loved ones), and Jared's murderous rage might well have been triggered by a firmness in his parents he'd never met before. He didn't buy that gun before November 30th, a month after he was forced out of school, apparently with his parents at last fully informed about how badly he was faring.

Most of the really sinister rants we've seen seem to be from this period as well.Now, the parents must feel like pariahs, filthy, with only their son's execution to look forward to. And no one who can understand their strange dilemmas of guilt&despair

It might be perverse, but I feel for them as well. They have also lost a son for good in this tragedy.

Evo said:
Read my post #295 nismar, he was angry specificially at Giffords, aside from other problems he might have.

I did, at the same I was shaking my fist and shouting, "EVOOOOOO!". I need to be less verbose...
He clearly had it in for her, but was it proximity because of the district, or because of some other element of her, including gender? He MAY have intentionally gunned down a 9 year old girl... that's some serious rage and confusion; if it was unintentional, his lack of remorse is telling.

Arildno: Until we know more about his parents, it's hard to know, but his pathology seems more consistent with so much separation from others that I doubt his parents had a chance. Of course, they could be horrible people, or the greatest people on earth, who happened to mix their genes badly.

nismaratwork said:
I did, at the same I was shaking my fist and shouting, "EVOOOOOO!". I need to be less verbose...
He clearly had it in for her, but was it proximity because of the district, or because of some other element of her, including gender? He MAY have intentionally gunned down a 9 year old girl... that's some serious rage and confusion; if it was unintentional, his lack of remorse is telling.

Arildno: Until we know more about his parents, it's hard to know, but his pathology seems more consistent with so much separation from others that I doubt his parents had a chance. Of course, they could be horrible people, or the greatest people on earth, who happened to mix their genes badly.

Even the dragons love their ugly chicks.
So, I'd feel sorry for them, even if they are horrid people (the mother gets generally good grades among the family's neighbours)

nismaratwork said:
He clearly had it in for her, but was it proximity because of the district
In another article i read that he was upset at her also because she was for more lenient immigration laws and he was against immigrants, he felt they were bringing the area down academically. Don't ask to me to back through 100 articles to find this, take that tidbit or leave it until I stumble back upon it. Also, proximity was a big thing, he lived a few miles away.

I've also read that the family was avoided by neighbors, they rode old souped up cars they worked on up and down the streets and their yard was unkept. As one neighbor said "when we went door to door to sell girlscout cookies we never went to *that* house. :tongue2: Sounds more like misfits than bad people, but who knows?

Evo said:
Also, proximity was a big thing, he lived a few miles away.
A very big thing. Opportunity coupled with the fact that this woman that he despised was invading his home turf.

Evo said:
I think this will explain better.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110110/ap_on_re_us/us_congresswoman_shot_gunman_11

(Quote from Evo's link)

"The Loughner they met when he was a freshman at Mountain View High School may have been socially awkward, but he was generally happy and fun to be around. The crew smoked marijuana everyday, and when they weren't going to concerts or watching movies they talked about the meaning of life and dabbled in conspiracy theories.

Mistrust of government was his defining conviction, the friends said. He believed the government was behind 9/11, and worried that governments were maneuvering to create a unified monetary system ("a New World Order currency" one friend said) so that social elites and bureaucrats could control the rest of the world."

This sounds like a very paranoid person - pot probably didn't help him grasp reality.

Not that any of this makes sense, and given the information he was angry at her, I find it difficult to understand why he attacked anyone except Rep. Giffords?

IMO - my instincts tell me he used her as an excuse to attack the society that he clearly did not fit into - it was the validating point (in his twisted mind) for a final act of desperation.

Holy cow! 300+ posts in less than 48 hours! That's more than 6 posts per hour.

I think this set a new PF record!

Here is more Local information on Loughner. He had contact with Pima Community College police 5 times. He was expelled from the college in September.

He was told that he must obtain a mental health evauation that stated that he was not a danger to anyone befor he could return He never went back to the School.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7230682n&tag=related;photovideo

When the College Administration mentions police I believe that it was Campus police and not the Tucson Police Department.

http://www.azbiz.com/articles/2011/01/08/news/breaking_news/doc4d29463932228218107137.txt

More here:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/artic...hner-gabrielle-giffords-arizona-shooting.html

arildno said:
Even the dragons love their ugly chicks.
So, I'd feel sorry for them, even if they are horrid people (the mother gets generally good grades among the family's neighbours)

It's sad, but true, and as I said I really doubt that their parenting had much to do with this. In essence I see the portrait of someone who as you and others have said, has been obviously and profoundly mentally ill for YEARS.

Evo: If this is, as I conjecture, schizophrenia, then first order relatives can be expected to exhibit as-yet odd behavioral traits associated with schizophreniform disorders. If not, well... as you say, they could be misfits, it could be an abusive father, or none of the above.

Of course, it may be that neighbors are vilifying them now, or that they're wonderful people who were driven to distraction with the struggle to nurture a child who, as arildno says, fell apart over time.

edward: Had to get an eval... well... that's fairly clear. He's in the perfect age-range for the emergence of schizophrenia... which, if true, would make this even more sad. Not Palin, not parents, not videogames or the internet... just a kid who's mind fell apart, and the man he became.

WhoWee said:
This sounds like a very paranoid person - pot probably didn't help him grasp reality.

Not that any of this makes sense, and given the information he was angry at her, I find it difficult to understand why he attacked anyone except Rep. Giffords?

IMO - my instincts tell me he used her as an excuse to attack the society that he clearly did not fit into - it was the validating point (in his twisted mind) for a final act of desperation.

I don't trust our government, and I carry a firearm pretty much everywhere I go. However, this kid's actions are reprehensible. Approximately 4 million other U.S. 22-year olds aren't gunning down members of Congress, so there's definitely something wrong with this fellow.

My instincts tell me you're right, WhoWee. Congresswoman Giffords was an unfortunate target of opportunity for this perp.

I find it interesting that he had tried to cut in line, unarmed, but was rebuffed by another person waiting in line. Only then did he loose it, retrieve his gun from his vehicle, and return to commit this heinous crime.

Sounds to me like it was a crime of passion. I recently read that in the U.S. politics are about 30% more closely held (i.e. hotly contested) than religion. Regardless, I can't tell you how many times I've been stirred into rage by one issue or another. That doesn't mean I blow my stack, pick up a gun, and start blazing away, however. More than 99% of all humans have a normally-developed portion of our brains which keeps us from doing harm to others unless it's absolutely necessary for self-preservation. The only reason I routinely carry a firearm is because that statistic is less than 100%, and on one occasion, more than 20 years ago, it saved my life.

As for this kid, I feel sorry that he just royally flushed his life down the drain, and more sorry for the friends and family members of those whom he harmed. Where were his parents during his upbringing? I have a ten-year-old son with whom I, limited by divorce decree to just 12% of his life, attempt to steer him in the right direction. Quite frankly, and according to him, I think I'm having more a positive effect on his life than his 88% mother!

Regardless, it's a sad state of affairs, period. I really wonder whether his parents are wondering where they went wrong, or are merely writing him off.

I sincerely hope the powers that be recognize this has nothing to do with the availability of a firearm. In fact, I hope and pray everyone with more than two cents worth of brains would recognize that had I or any of the other 10% of our population who carries a firearm on a regular basis been there, the kid would not have managed to get off more than two shots.

I thank God for the two people who tackled him to the ground. Brave souls, they were, and they earned a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congressional_Gold_Medal" .

I'm forwarding a recommendation to that effect to my Congressman. If you concur, https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml". Thank you.

mugaliens said:
I don't trust our government, and I carry a firearm pretty much everywhere I go. However, this kid's actions are reprehensible. Approximately 4 million other U.S. 22-year olds aren't gunning down members of Congress, so there's definitely something wrong with this fellow.

My instincts tell me you're right, WhoWee. Congresswoman Giffords was an unfortunate target of opportunity for this perp.

I find it interesting that he had tried to cut in line, unarmed, but was rebuffed by another person waiting in line. Only then did he loose it, retrieve his gun from his vehicle, and return to commit this heinous crime.

Sounds to me like it was a crime of passion. I recently read that in the U.S. politics are about 30% more closely held (i.e. hotly contested) than religion. Regardless, I can't tell you how many times I've been stirred into rage by one issue or another. That doesn't mean I blow my stack, pick up a gun, and start blazing away, however. More than 99% of all humans have a normally-developed portion of our brains which keeps us from doing harm to others unless it's absolutely necessary for self-preservation. The only reason I routinely carry a firearm is because that statistic is less than 100%, and on one occasion, more than 20 years ago, it saved my life.

As for this kid, I feel sorry that he just royally flushed his life down the drain, and more sorry for the friends and family members of those whom he harmed. It's a sad state of affairs, period.

I sincerely hope the powers that be recognize this has nothing to do with the availability of a firearm. In fact, I hope and pray everyone with more than two cents worth of brains would recognize that had I or any of the other 10% of our population who carries a firearm on a regular basis been there, the kid would not have managed to get off more than two shots.

I thank God for the two people who tackled him to the ground. Brave souls, they were, and they earned a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congressional_Gold_Medal" .

I'm forwarding a recommendation to that effect to my Congressman. If you concur, https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml". Thank you.

He's most definitely not in the 99%, and I'll write my congressperson. I can say that it's the type of thing that I feel strongly about, but I can see the merit in the award for those two.

mugaliens said:

Sounds like the kid in Omaha that shot the principle over a small suspension. A massive overreaction to the final falling straw, but it was always a culmination of life long events.

No doubt this is tragic, but let's not lose focus that countless people all over the country/world are being murdered every day. Why does it take a congresswomen to wake people up?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Sounds like the kid in Omaha that shot the principle over a small suspension. A massive overreaction to the final falling straw, but it was always a culmination of life long events.

No doubt this is tragic, but let's not lose focus that countless people all over the country/world are being murdered every day. Why does it take a congresswomen to wake people up?

It takes a congresswoman because she's pretty, her husband is an astronaut, and it's a built-in media sensation. Oh... and now other members of congress are wetting themselves, which tends to be a very public process.

We might as well ask why only little white girls are kidnapped, and no little black or Hispanic girls! *sigh* They're not, it's just the story that's sold. I would add that given his apparent obsession with this woman, paranoia, recent defeat at college, move home, and in November the purchase of this gun... I think this wasn't an accident.

mugalians: How did he retrieve his gun from a vehicle? He arrived in a cab. He walked to a staffer, asked to see the congresswoman (saw the staffer talk about this on the scene on CNN), was told to go to the back of the line, he returned "moments later" and began shooting.

nismaratwork said:
mugalians: How did he retrieve his gun from a vehicle? He arrived in a cab. He walked to a staffer, asked to see the congresswoman (saw the staffer talk about this on the scene on CNN), was told to go to the back of the line, he returned "moments later" and began shooting.

Has there been any mention of security cameras in the parking lot?

mugaliens said:
Can you post the link to this story? I can't find it. He was driven by taxi, he didn't have a vehicle. I read that the driver went into the store to get change for a $20 and that was why he was initially thought to be involved.

Thanks.

Evo said:
Can you post the link to this story? I can't find it. He was driven by taxi, he didn't have a vehicle. I read that the driver went into the store to get change for a $20 and that was why he was initially thought to be involved.

Thanks.

There will not be a credible link to the story because it didn't happen that way. Loughner took a cab to the scene. The cab driver was the person of interest who was later cleared.

A staffer asked Loughner to please wait because there were people in front of him. He didn't come to the gathering with a Glock handgun and at least three high capacity clips just to chat.