Representation of spin matrices

In summary, the conversation discusses the representation of spin operators in quantum mechanics, specifically the matrices for s_x, s_y, and s_z. It also addresses the components of eigenstates of s_z and writing spin states using the base of eigenstates of s_z. The conversation concludes with the question of whether a specific state is equal to a normalized vector.
bznm
I have just started to study quantum mechanics, so I have some doubts.

1) if I consider the base given by the eigenstates of s_z [tex]s_z | \pm >=\pm \frac{\hbar}{2} |\pm>[/tex] the spin operators are represented by the matrices

[tex]s_x= \frac {\hbar}{2} (|+><-|+|-><+|)[/tex]
[tex]s_y= i \frac {\hbar}{2}(|-><+|-|+><-|)[/tex]
[tex]s_z=\frac{\hbar}{2}(|+><+|-|-><-|)[/tex]

but I don't have clear idea of what they correspond to concretely. Considering the Dirac formalism, can they be represented by Pauli's matrices?

[tex]s_x=\frac {\hbar}{2} \sigma_x; s_y= i \frac {\hbar}{2} \sigma_y; s_z=\frac {\hbar}{2} \sigma_z[/tex]

2) I can write a vector using its components, e.g. v=(a,b)
but which are the components of the eigenstates of s_z?

3) If I have a state such as [tex]s_x |\phi>=\frac {\hbar}{2} |\phi> [/tex]
and I want to write it using the base of the eigenstates of s_z,
can I write [tex] |\phi>=a|+>+b|->[/tex], with [tex]|a|^2+|b|^2=1?[/tex] (I need this condition to have a normalized vector)
Is it equal to [tex]\frac {e^{i\theta}}{\sqrt 2}(|+>+|->)?[/tex]

Many thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
bznm said:
Considering the Dirac formalism, can they be represented by Pauli's matrices?
Yes.

bznm said:
2) I can write a vector using its components, e.g. v=(a,b)
but which are the components of the eigenstates of s_z?
Yes, if you use the representation of the spin operators in terms of Pauli matrices.

bznm said:
can I write
Yes, what you quoted here was a general spin state. You need to fix a and b so that it is actually an eigenvector of s_x.
bznm said:
Is it equal to
... Which you did here. The exponential is an arbitrary phase factor and can be dropped.

Thanks a lot!

What is the representation of spin matrices?

The representation of spin matrices is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior and properties of particles with spin, such as electrons. It involves using a set of matrices to represent the spin of a particle in different directions and states.

Why is the representation of spin matrices important?

The representation of spin matrices is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of particles with spin, which is crucial in many areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and particle physics.

How are spin matrices represented?

Spin matrices are represented using a set of mathematical matrices, known as Pauli matrices, which have specific properties and relationships with each other. These matrices are used to represent the spin of a particle in different directions and states.

What are the properties of spin matrices?

Spin matrices have several important properties, including being Hermitian (equal to their own conjugate transpose), unitary (their inverse is equal to their conjugate transpose), and traceless (their diagonal elements sum to zero). They also have specific relationships with each other, such as anti-commutation and commutation.

How do spin matrices relate to spin angular momentum?

Spin matrices are related to spin angular momentum, which is a measure of the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle. The Pauli matrices used to represent spin have eigenvalues that correspond to the possible values of spin angular momentum, and the eigenvectors represent the different spin states of a particle.