Required backround for quantum cosmology

In summary: I will read the lecture and see if it is what I need.In summary, spacejunkie said that you need to have a good grasp of QM and GRS. He also said that the course is heavy on differential geometry.
houhou.trad
Hello every body. I want to learn about quantum cosmology but I always find lot of difficulties :confused:. I have a very usual background :frown: on Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity. What are the required specific topics of QM or GR that i should learn before I can learn about Quantum Cosmology. I think it will be a great idea if you suggest me some books or lecture notes..that can help me .
thanks for everybody :biggrin:.

Space news on Phys.org
Thanks ChrisVer. I am now looking at this article. What I have meant is the prerequisite background to make Quantum Cosmology more understandable.

Just by this question, I would say: "Quantum field theory" at least for scalar fields, and "Cosmology" (A certain branch of General Relativity)...
Then it depends from which point of view you are approaching quantum cosmology. For example string theory and supergravity can come in the play at some point.

Quantum cosmology generally does not include inflation. houhou.trad, what topics are you interested in studying? Quantum creation of universes, multiverse, wavefunction of the universe, etc?

This can also be helpful...
http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/research/gr/public/qg_qc.html

Thanks ChrisVer. This is a very helpful answer for me. I have some weakness in grasp of QFT. Perhaps that's why I have found problems. But about cosmology, all I know is from some introductory such as B. Ryden and M. Roos. Is this sufficient?

Thanks Bapowell for the reply. I am perhaps interesting in Quantum creation of universes. I want to understand some papers that used Bohmian mechanics for Quantum Cosmology, but first, I have to read about Quantum Cosmology.

Loop Quantum Gravity is the theory which underlies most of the ideas that go under the heading, "Quantum Cosmology."

If you like extreme geometry/topology, you will love quantum cosmology.

Chronos said:
If you like extreme geometry/topology, you will love quantum cosmology.
Do you mean quantum cosmology demand more geometry than that we find in usual G.R.?

bapowell said:
Quantum cosmology generally does not include inflation. houhou.trad, what topics are you interested in studying? Quantum creation of universes, multiverse, wavefunction of the universe, etc?
Let's say I am interested in the Quantum creation of universes. what is the main physical and mathematical tools I need to read and understand Quantum cosmology, assuming that I have some grasp of Q.M. and G.R.?

Not as long as you chose to disregard non-euclidean geometry.

houhou.trad said:
Let's say I am interested in the Quantum creation of universes. what is the main physical and mathematical tools I need to read and understand Quantum cosmology, assuming that I have some grasp of Q.M. and G.R.?
GR and QFT are necessary, though I'm not sure if they're sufficient (I'm not an expert). The early papers on the subject centered around the study of instantons, which describe tunneling events. When applied to the universe as a whole, these instantons describe the quantum birth of so-called bubble universes. The tunneling event is a field theory problem, whereas the dynamics of the bubbles after nucleation is understood within the context of GR. Here is an early paper by Alex Vilenkin: http://www.gravityresearchfoundation.org/pdf/awarded/1983/vilenkin.pdf .

He has several others but they are behind paywalls. Give that one a try and see what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take a look at lecture 4 of Intro to Quantum Gravity at the PIRSA site. It contains an overview of the mathematics and common notational conventions used in the course.
The course in general is much heavier on differential geometry than quantum theory.
http://pirsa.org/C06001

spacejunkie said:
Take a look at lecture 4 of Intro to Quantum Gravity at the PIRSA site. It contains an overview of the mathematics and common notational conventions used in the course.
The course in general is much heavier on differential geometry than quantum theory.
http://pirsa.org/C06001
spacejunkie, thank you for this reply :smile:. I think that it would be very helpful.

Related to Required backround for quantum cosmology

1. What is quantum cosmology?

Quantum cosmology is a branch of physics that combines quantum mechanics and general relativity to study the origin and evolution of the universe at a microscopic level.

2. What is the required background for studying quantum cosmology?

A strong understanding of quantum mechanics, general relativity, and theoretical physics is essential for studying quantum cosmology. Knowledge of advanced mathematics such as differential equations and calculus is also necessary.

3. Can someone without a physics degree study quantum cosmology?

While a background in physics is highly recommended, it is possible for someone without a physics degree to study quantum cosmology. However, it may require additional effort and time to catch up on the necessary knowledge and skills.

4. Are there any specific courses or books that can help with learning quantum cosmology?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning quantum cosmology, including online courses, textbooks, and research papers. Some recommended books include "Quantum Cosmology" by Martin Bojowald and "Quantum Cosmology: A Fundamental Description of the Universe" by John A. Wheeler and Wojciech Hubert Zurek.

5. Is there ongoing research in the field of quantum cosmology?

Yes, there is active research being conducted in quantum cosmology, as it is an emerging and rapidly developing field. Scientists are continuously exploring and testing new theories and models to better understand the origins and evolution of the universe.