Rescaling the equation of motion of inflation

In summary, a discussion on the dimensionality of the differential equation for inflation led to the realization that in order to make all terms dimensionless, the time parameter and Hubble parameter had to be rescaled. However, the presence of the mass term ##m^2## in the potential presented a challenge in finding a dimensionless parameter. Additionally, it was noted that there are two potentials involved in the equation of state for inflation, one for kinetic energy and one for pressure. Furthermore, examples were provided to illustrate the use of equations of state in scalar modeling and the inflaton was identified as having dimensions of mass in 3+1 dimensions.
shinobi20
From the equation of motion of inflation, $$\frac{d^2\phi}{dt^2} + 3H\frac{d\phi}{dt} + \frac{dV}{d\phi} = 0$$ Example: ##V= \frac{1}{2}m^2\phi^2##
$$\frac{d^2\phi}{dt^2} + 3H\frac{d\phi}{dt} + m^2\phi = 0$$
If I want to make the DE dimensionless then I let ##~t = \frac{1}{H_o} \tilde t~## and ##~H = H_o \tilde H~## then,
$$H_o^2 \frac{d^2\phi}{d\tilde t^2} + 3H_o^2\tilde H \frac{d\phi}{d\tilde t} + m^2\phi = 0$$
But the last term has ##m^2## in it, so how can I rescale this DE such that every term would be dimensionless? Also, what is the dimension of ##~\phi~##(inflaton)?

Space news on Phys.org
[Moderator's note: moved from a separate thread to this one since the topic is the same. Also edited to delete duplicate content.]

Another question:

To solve this differential equations, we need two initial value conditions, ##\phi(0) = ?\,## and ##\dot \phi(0) = ?\,##. But I don't know what they should be, I know that in the early stages of inflation, the potential ##V## should be dominant so I think ##\dot \phi(0)## should be small?

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you look at my reply in your other thread?

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/different-forms-of-energy-density-in-inflation.900158/

you keep missing the detail that there is two potentials involved. One for kinetic the other for pressure. In order to get your dimension
less parameter which I assume is w you require both terms. [tex]w=p/\rho [/tex]

Look at the equation's of state (Cosmology) see the section on scalar modelling.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equation_of_state_(cosmology)

Here some additional examples see equations 1.36 to 1.39
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwi67MqH0dPRAhVH4mMKHf9vBhgQFgggMAE&url=http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/pls/portallive/docs/1/56439.PDF&usg=AFQjCNFCbq4LLlR6366LhUvr8T_y6_f0eA&sig2=n5C7FRMAGfPcq5gYfq4hMw

The formulas showing action via those equation's are included

Last edited:
The inflaton has dimension m in 3+1 dimensions.

1. What is the equation of motion of inflation?

The equation of motion of inflation is a mathematical expression that describes the dynamics of the inflationary phase of the early universe. It is used to model the expansion of the universe during this period and predict the evolution of various physical quantities, such as energy density and temperature.

2. Why is it necessary to rescale the equation of motion of inflation?

The equation of motion of inflation is based on the assumption that the early universe is in a state of near-constant energy density. However, this is not always the case, and the equation may need to be rescaled to account for variations in energy density that can occur during inflation.

3. How is the equation of motion of inflation rescaled?

The equation of motion of inflation can be rescaled by introducing a new variable, known as the scale factor, which represents the change in size of the universe over time. This allows for a more accurate description of the expansion and energy density of the early universe.

4. What are the implications of rescaling the equation of motion of inflation?

Rescaling the equation of motion of inflation can have significant implications for our understanding of the early universe. It can help explain the observed variations in the cosmic microwave background and provide a more accurate prediction of the inflationary period.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to rescaling the equation of motion of inflation?

Rescaling the equation of motion of inflation is a complex task and requires a deep understanding of both theoretical physics and observational data. Furthermore, it is based on several assumptions and may not accurately capture all aspects of the inflationary phase. Additionally, the rescaled equation may be sensitive to initial conditions and may produce different results depending on the chosen parameters.