Residue on steel after caustic cleaning

In summary, the brown chalky layer can be removed with a sandpaper with a very fine grit in the presence of sodium hydroxide solution.
Mark Anderson
After cleaning aluminum from steel I use with sodium hydroxide, there a brown chalky layer I want to clean off. Other than sanding, I cannot remove it. Is there a way to chemically remove it without affecting the steel?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
"Affecting?" Etching?

There's a scale residue left that I use sandpaper to remove.but sanding it also damages the steel. I've tried alcohol and degreasers with no luck.

Mark Anderson said:
There's a scale residue left that I use sandpaper to remove.but sanding it also damages the steel. I've tried alcohol and degreasers with no luck.
That won't work if it is what it could be.
Sodium aluminate should have dissolved in alcohol, so it can't be that.

You mean something like this perhaps.
http://www2.uni-siegen.de/~pci/versuche/english/v44-10.html

If so, aluminium oxide is fairly unreactive. In fact, it can be found on sandpaper since it is hard ( next to diamond I believe ).

You might try sanding with a very fine grit in the presence of sodium hydroxide solution, and see if some of the stuff will go back into solution.
Try a DILUTE solution, and a small section, since you don't want to be splashing the stuff around onto your clothes, skin and eyes.

I suppose previously, you just let the metal sit in an hydroxide solution to dissolve the Al.
Some of the Al went into the small microscopic indentations of the Fe during the original joining, and is now oxide.

Not 100% sure though if that is what you have there.

Yes I believe you are correct on the oxidization. As far as going over it again with the caustic solution, I think sanding it the normal way I do it is the best. I prefer not to deal with these chemicals more than necessary. Thank you for the input. This forum is very helpful and has much information.

This electrolytic method sounds like the ticket. When I get free time (tough with 3 kids), I will give it a test. I have all of the materials except for some rebar. I will let you guys know if it does.

1. What causes residue to form on steel after caustic cleaning?

Residue on steel after caustic cleaning is typically caused by incomplete rinsing or neutralization of the caustic solution. This can leave behind alkaline deposits on the surface of the steel, which can appear as a white or gray film.

2. How can residue on steel after caustic cleaning be prevented?

To prevent residue formation, it is important to thoroughly rinse the steel with clean water after the caustic cleaning process. Additionally, using an acidic solution to neutralize any remaining caustic can help prevent residue from forming.

3. Is residue on steel after caustic cleaning harmful?

In most cases, residue on steel after caustic cleaning is not harmful and can easily be removed with proper rinsing and neutralization. However, if the residue is left to build up over time, it can potentially affect the surface of the steel and compromise its integrity.

4. How can residue on steel after caustic cleaning be removed?

To remove residue on steel after caustic cleaning, it is important to first rinse the surface with clean water. Then, an acidic solution can be used to neutralize any remaining caustic and dissolve the residue. Finally, the surface should be thoroughly rinsed again with clean water.

5. Can residue on steel after caustic cleaning affect the outcome of further processes?

Yes, residue on steel after caustic cleaning can affect the outcome of further processes such as painting, plating, or welding. It is important to remove all residue to ensure proper adhesion and surface preparation for these processes.