Resistivity of a wire that is wound close on a cylinder

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of 200 coils in finding the effective resistance in a circuit. The relevant equations are R= pl/A and effective resistance= 1/R. The person is unsure of where to start and suggests making a diagram, but it is necessary to show effort in solving the problem independently.
curiosity colour

Homework Statement

20793725_1771973616149698_645562293_o.jpg

Homework Equations

R= pl/A
effective resistance= 1/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm honestly don't know where to start, althought I know i need to do something with the 200 coils first, but I have no idea what should be done with it

Physics news on Phys.org
curiosity colour said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 208708

Homework Equations

R= pl/A
effective resistance= 1/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm honestly don't know where to start, althought I know i need to do something with the 200 coils first, but I have no idea what should be done with it
You can start with a diagram. It is mandatory here to show some efforts on your own.

cnh1995 said:
You can start with a diagram. It is mandatory here to show some efforts on your own.
I think it's should look like this, with the wire wound closely together( please excuse my horrible drawing).
20750448_1772001139480279_1032064015_n.png

1. What is the resistivity of a wire that is wound close on a cylinder?

The resistivity of a wire that is wound close on a cylinder is determined by the material of the wire, the diameter of the wire, and the length of the wire. It is a measure of how much the wire resists the flow of electric current.

2. How does the diameter of the wire affect the resistivity?

The diameter of the wire has a direct impact on the resistivity. A smaller diameter wire will have a higher resistivity compared to a wire with a larger diameter. This is because a smaller diameter wire has less space for the electric current to flow through, causing it to encounter more resistance.

3. What is the impact of the length of the wire on resistivity?

The longer the wire, the higher the resistivity. This is because a longer wire has more atoms and particles for the electric current to pass through, resulting in more resistance. Therefore, a shorter wire will have a lower resistivity compared to a longer wire.

4. Does the material of the wire affect its resistivity when wound close on a cylinder?

Yes, the material of the wire plays a significant role in its resistivity when wound close on a cylinder. Different materials have different resistivities, and some materials, such as copper, have lower resistivities compared to others, such as steel. This is due to differences in atomic structure and conductivity of the material.

5. How is the resistivity of a wire that is wound close on a cylinder measured?

The resistivity of a wire that is wound close on a cylinder is measured using an Ohmmeter. This device measures the resistance of the wire and can calculate the resistivity using the wire's dimensions. The resistivity of the wire can also be calculated using the formula ρ = RA/L, where ρ is the resistivity, R is the resistance, A is the cross-sectional area of the wire, and L is the length of the wire.