Resolve forces along a pivot

In summary, this person wants to use a pneumatic cylinder to make a toggle clamp with a swinging arm along a pivot. They need to find the force at the end of the arm. Assuming the system is orientated such that the local gravity is in the negative vertical direction, the force would be 235kg.
mathuria1986
i want to use a swivel type pneumatic cylinder to make a toggle clamp with a swinging arm along a pivot. the line diagram is shown in the figure can anyone help me finding the force at the end of arm.
force by cylinder on one end of arm= 300kg

Attachments

• pivot.jpg
    pivot.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 439
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello mathuria1986,

This could be quite complex to solve, or simple depending on how this system is orientated with respect to the local gravity.

The 300Kg mass will have a force F=ma along this local gravity. You have drawn it such that there is an angle 23' to the x-axis (call it the x-axis such that the vertical is y). Is this is the direction of local gravity you can find the component acting perpendicular to the pivot then use
[itex] \textrm{moment}=F_{perp} d [/itex]
where d is the distance to the pivot, then you simple have that the force ? is the moment divided by the length 10.0 (units?).

However you have an unresolved component that will form a net force on the whole system, if the system is not under a net force this will require another force to acting in the opposing direction.

i tried to solve it this way. i took moment along pivot. and balanced the force on the other end of arm ehich comes to 235 kg. is it correct?/

the file is attached here

Attachments

• COMP-Model.jpg
    COMP-Model.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 429
Hi,
when you say a force of 235Kg this does not make any sense. A Kg is a Mass, so under the acceleration of gravity it will have a force 235g=2350N in the negative vertical direction.

Since your diagrams do not provide this direction I can't tell you if you are making a mistake.

I do not wish to sound patronizing but it will help you if you simplify your diagram as much as possible and add units to the lengths.

Then for the force's either draw forces and label them F1 F2 etc (which should have units of N) or draw circles for the mass and draw the acceleration (gravity).

I would first clarify the direction and magnitude of the force being exerted by the pneumatic cylinder. Is it pushing or pulling on the arm? Additionally, I would need more information about the pivot and the arm itself in order to accurately calculate the force at the end of the arm.

Once these details are known, the force at the end of the arm can be determined by resolving the forces along the pivot. This involves breaking down the force from the cylinder into its horizontal and vertical components, and then considering the forces acting on the arm at the pivot point. From there, the net force acting on the arm can be calculated, which would give the force at the end of the arm.

It is important to also consider the potential effects of friction and the weight of the arm itself on the overall force at the end of the arm. These factors may need to be accounted for in the calculation.

Overall, the force at the end of the arm can be determined by carefully considering the forces acting on the arm and using principles of mechanics to resolve them.

Related to Resolve forces along a pivot

1. What is a pivot in terms of forces?

A pivot is a fixed point around which a body or object can rotate or turn. In the context of forces, a pivot is used to determine the direction and magnitude of forces acting on an object.

2. How do you resolve forces along a pivot?

To resolve forces along a pivot, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object and their respective directions. Then, you can use trigonometric principles and the principle of moments to calculate the components of these forces along the pivot's axis.

3. What is the principle of moments?

The principle of moments states that for an object to be in equilibrium, the sum of the clockwise moments around a pivot must be equal to the sum of the anticlockwise moments. This principle is used to solve problems involving forces acting on an object around a pivot.

4. Can you use pivot points to solve problems involving multiple forces?

Yes, pivot points can be used to solve problems involving multiple forces. By identifying a suitable pivot point, you can break down the forces into their components and use the principle of moments to determine the overall force acting on the object.

5. Are there any real-life applications of resolving forces along a pivot?

Yes, resolving forces along a pivot is commonly used in structural engineering to determine the forces acting on a building or bridge. It is also used in mechanical engineering to design machines and mechanisms that can rotate or pivot.