Retaking Calc 2 Exam: Is it Worth the Effort?

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's decision to retake a calculus 2 exam after receiving a score of 76/100. The exam covers integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, trigonometric integrals, and partial fractions decomposition. The student is unsure if they should retake the exam for a chance at a higher grade, despite feeling confident in their ability to work the problems. The conversation suggests that it is always beneficial to retake a test if the higher score is accepted.
benEE2018
hey everyone so i just took my calc 2 exam and the whole class basically bombed it. the professor is giving us a chance to retake the exam or to keep the score we had the first time around. the exam is on integration by parts, trig sub, trig integrals and partial fractions decomposition. i got a 76/100 the first time and don't know if i should try for a higher grade. the thing is i know how to work the problems out but the exam problems are a bit tricky and can confuse. eg instead of the integral e^2x sin 3x dx he'll put a 26 insde which comes back because u have to multiply the 26 to get back the original integral and it gives very big numbers questioning if u did it right. should i retake the exam in hopes of a higher grade or keep the 76? thanks sorry if this isn't a homework question

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, retake the exam. All tests are learning experiences. Look to the Monte Hall three-doors problem.

Rule of thumb: If they will only accept the higher score (most do it like this), then ALWAYS retake the test. It can only help!

1. Should I retake my Calc 2 exam if I failed?

It ultimately depends on your personal goals and circumstances. If you need a passing grade in Calc 2 for your major or future courses, then retaking the exam may be necessary. However, if you are satisfied with your grade and it won't affect your academic progress, then retaking may not be necessary.

2. Will retaking Calc 2 improve my GPA?

If you received a failing grade on your first attempt, then retaking the exam and receiving a passing grade will improve your GPA. However, if you received a passing grade on your first attempt, retaking the exam may not have a significant impact on your GPA.

3. How many times can I retake Calc 2?

This varies depending on your institution's policies. Some schools may have a limit on the number of times you can retake a course, while others may not. It is important to check with your academic advisor to determine the specific rules at your school.

4. Is it worth retaking Calc 2 for a higher grade?

Again, this depends on your goals and circumstances. If you are planning on pursuing a career or further education in a field that heavily relies on Calc 2 concepts, then retaking the exam for a higher grade may be beneficial. However, if Calc 2 is not a crucial course for your academic or career path, then it may not be worth the time and effort to retake it.

5. Can I retake Calc 2 even if I passed the exam?

Most institutions allow students to retake courses even if they have passed them. However, it is important to consider if retaking the course will have a significant impact on your academic progress or if it is worth the additional time and effort.