Ring homomorphisms of polynomial rings

In summary: So then S(a+b)=S(a)+S(b) in addition to S(a*b)=S(a)*S(b). Do you know what 'ring homomorphism' means? If not, could you look it up, please?A ring homomorphism is a function that takes two sets and converts them into a single set.
missavvy

Homework Statement

Let R be a commutative ring and let fa: R[x] -> R be evaluation at a [tex]\in[/tex] R.
If S: R[x] -> R is any ring homomorphism such that S(r) = r for all r[tex]\in[/tex] R, show that S = fa for some a [tex]\in[/tex] R.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't get this at all.. really.. :S

Is this to show that for any ring homomorphism, you can evaluate it at some a in Z(R)?

Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Take the polynomial x in R[x]. S(x) is in R. Call it 'a'. Can you show, for example, that S(x^2)=a^2?

So then S(x^2) = x^2, which is an element of R[x] and since fa: R[x] -> R is evaluation at a, we can sub in the a for x and get a^2... ?

missavvy said:
So then S(x^2) = x^2, which is an element of R[x] and since fa: R[x] -> R is evaluation at a, we can sub in the a for x and get a^2... ?

No. You want to PROVE that S is evaluation at a. Use that S is a ring homomorphism. S(x^2)=S(x*x)=S(x)*S(x), right?

Ok, well then S(x)*S(x) = a*a = a^2 = x^2... ?

missavvy said:
Ok, well then S(x)*S(x) = a*a = a^2 = x^2... ?

So far so good. Now you've got S(x^2)=f_a(x^2). What about the rest of the polynomials? And saying a^2=x^2 is wrong and sloppy. a^2 is a real number, x^2 is a polynomial. S(x^2)=a^2. x^2 isn't equal to a^2.

So I have to show that S(a_0 + a_1x+ ... + a_nx^n) = f_a(a_0+..+a_nx^n).
I don't really understand how I separate the terms of the polynomial to get to the point where they end up as evaluation at a.. do I have to define each x^k term to be = a^k for k = 0, n?

missavvy said:
So I have to show that S(a_0 + a_1x+ ... + a_nx^n) = f_a(a_0+..+a_nx^n).
I don't really understand how I separate the terms of the polynomial to get to the point where they end up as evaluation at a.. do I have to define each x^k term to be = a^k for k = 0, n?

You do it the same way you did x^2, missavvy. And use S(a+b)=S(a)+S(b) in addition to S(a*b)=S(a)*S(b). Do you know what 'ring homomorphism' means? If not, could you look it up, please?

Last edited:
Yes sir :) Got it thanks.

1. What is a ring homomorphism?

A ring homomorphism is a function between two rings that preserves the ring structure. This means that it maps the ring's operations (addition and multiplication) and identity elements in a consistent manner.

2. How are ring homomorphisms of polynomial rings defined?

A ring homomorphism of polynomial rings is a function that maps one polynomial ring to another, while preserving the ring structure. It must also satisfy the property that the image of the indeterminate variable is a root of the image polynomial.

3. What is the importance of ring homomorphisms of polynomial rings?

Ring homomorphisms of polynomial rings are important because they allow us to study the properties of polynomial rings in a more general setting. They also play a crucial role in abstract algebra and algebraic geometry.

4. How do you determine the kernel and image of a ring homomorphism of polynomial rings?

The kernel of a ring homomorphism is the set of elements in the domain ring that are mapped to the zero element in the co-domain ring. The image of a ring homomorphism is the set of elements in the co-domain ring that are mapped from the domain ring. In the case of polynomial rings, the kernel is the set of polynomials whose coefficients are all mapped to zero, and the image is the set of polynomials obtained by substituting the image of the indeterminate variable into the image polynomial.

5. Can you give an example of a ring homomorphism of polynomial rings?

One example of a ring homomorphism of polynomial rings is the evaluation homomorphism. This maps a polynomial ring to a field by evaluating the polynomial at a specific element in the field. For instance, the evaluation homomorphism from the polynomial ring ℤ[x] to the real numbers ℝ can be defined as f(x) → f(2). This preserves the ring structure and satisfies the property that the image of x is a root of the image polynomial.