Root Locus: Plotting for k=1.33 & Finding Equivalent Damping Coefficient

In summary, the conversation discusses plotting a root locus and determining the location of the root for a given value of k. The conversation also touches on finding the equivalent damping coefficient by comparing it to a standard second order equation. The correct approach is to equate the constants and solve for zeta. The conversation ends with the person expressing gratitude for the help and clarifications provided.
JohnielWhite
I was told to plot a root locus(by hand) of the open loop transfer function:

H(s)G(s)= (s+2)/(s^2 + 2s + 3)

and for a value of k=1.33 determine the location of the root, then find the equivalent damping coefficient.

After several attempts i was able to draw the correct root locus but I am not sure how to approach the other part of the question. Could someone with knowledge of the root locus offer me some assistance? Any comment would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
it should be in the numerator...

H(s)G(s)= k(s+2)/(s^2 + 2s + 3)

form characteristic equation 1+G(s)H(s)=0
and substitute K=1.33
solve the equation u ll get value of roots at K=1.33

1+G(s)H(s)=0
s2+2s+3+k(s+2) = 0
s2+3.33S+5.66=0
solve this you'll get roots at k=1.33

Last edited by a moderator:
ok thanks... how would I go about finding the equivalent damping coefficient?
I am thinking to compare it to the standard second order equation and equate like terms and solve for zeta. Is that the right approach?

JohnielWhite said:
ok thanks... how would I go about finding the equivalent damping coefficient?
I am thinking to compare it to the standard second order equation and equate like terms and solve for zeta. Is that the right approach?
that's exact approach
i think you'll get 0.699 zeta

thanks a lot... you really helped me to clear up some misconceptions i had... this will help in my preparation for my finals...

you're welcome .:cool:
and all the beat for your finals. . .:smile:

thanks all...

hey reddvoid, I tried solving for zeta however i got 0.58. What I did was to equate the constants for the characteristic equation from the standard second order equation to solve for omega, then i equate the coefficients of the "s" term and substitute omega and solve for zeta. Dnt know why i am not getting 0.699

S2 + 2zWnS + Wn2 = s2+3.33S+5.66
Wn2=5.66
Wn = sqrt(5.66) = 2.38
2zWn = 3.33
z=3.33 / (2*2.38)
z = 0.699

this is how i got 0.699
correct me if i am wrong . . .

ok I see where i made the error in my calculations. Thanks a lot for making those clarifications.

Related to Root Locus: Plotting for k=1.33 & Finding Equivalent Damping Coefficient

1. What is the purpose of plotting for a specific value of k in root locus?

The purpose of plotting for a specific value of k in root locus is to determine the stability of a closed-loop system. By varying the value of k and observing the resulting root locus plot, we can determine the range of k values that will result in a stable system.

2. How is the equivalent damping coefficient calculated from a root locus plot?

The equivalent damping coefficient can be calculated by finding the intersection of the root locus plot with the imaginary axis. The value of the equivalent damping coefficient can be determined by using the formula ζ = cos(φ), where ζ is the damping coefficient and φ is the angle of departure or arrival at the intersection point.

3. What does a root locus plot show for a system with k=1.33?

A root locus plot for a system with k=1.33 will show the location of the closed-loop poles and their movements as the value of k is varied. It will also indicate the range of values of k that will result in a stable system, as well as the equivalent damping coefficient for the system.

4. How does the value of k affect the stability of a system in root locus analysis?

The value of k plays a crucial role in determining the stability of a system in root locus analysis. If the value of k is too high or too low, the system may become unstable. By analyzing the root locus plot for different values of k, we can determine the range of values that will result in a stable system.

5. Can root locus analysis be used for systems with multiple inputs and outputs?

Yes, root locus analysis can be used for systems with multiple inputs and outputs. The root locus plot will show the behavior of all the closed-loop poles for a given value of k. However, the calculation of the equivalent damping coefficient may be more complex for systems with multiple inputs and outputs.