Rotation around an axis

In summary: For the rotation about the y-axis, y is a function of x, and the integration variable is x, not y, so that should be dy.
BadatPhysicsguy

Homework Statement

The curve y=1/x and the line y=2.5-x enclose an area together. Determine the exact volume of the rotating body that is formed when this field rotates about
a) The x-axis and b) The y-axis

Homework Equations

The formula for rotation around the x-axis is pi*integrate from b to a y^2 dy..
The formula for rotation around the y-axis is pi*integrate from d to c x^2 dx.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm going to start with a). So what I've learned is that around the x-axis, first I have to find the points from where I'm going to integrate (i.e. integrate from z to y and so on). To get these two points, I'm going to put the curve equal to the line so I know where they intersect.
2.5-x=1/x => 2.5x-x^2=1 => x^2-2.5x+1 = 0 and I get x(1) = 2 and x(2) = 0.5.

So if I'm going to find out the answer, I'll also use (1/x)^2 - (2.5-x)^2. So the total would be:

pi * integrate from 2 to 0.5 for (1/x)^2 - (2.5-x)^2 which gives me the correct answer 1.125*pi.

Okay, so how do I do it for b then?
Take a look here: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=y=1/x,+y=2.5-x
I want to calculate the volume for the rotation that is both under the purple and blue line. But how do I get that? It is obvious that the "integration limits" are from 2.5 to 0 from that graph. But how do I express it in a formula?

If I do the same as earlier, (1/x) - (2.5-x) Then doesn't that area under the purple line eliminate all of it that is under the blue and then some?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of it this way:
You'll get the volume of the figure if you first find the volume under the purple line and the remove the volume [itex]between[/itex] the purple line and the blue curve

6c 6f 76 65 said:
Think of it this way:
You'll get the volume of the figure if you first find the volume under the purple line and the remove the volume [itex]between[/itex] the purple line and the blue curve

So first I'd take the total volume under the purple line. But how do I get the volume that is between the purple line and the blue curve? Purple minus blue and then the total volume under purple minus whatever I got from the second one?

BadatPhysicsguy said:
So first I'd take the total volume under the purple line. But how do I get the volume that is between the purple line and the blue curve? Purple minus blue and then the total volume under purple minus whatever I got from the second one?
Exactly!

BadatPhysicsguy said:

Homework Equations

The formula for rotation around the x-axis is pi*integrate from b to a y^2 dy..
The formula for rotation around the y-axis is pi*integrate from d to c x^2 dx.
In this and your other recent thread, you have the form of the integral wrong.

For the rotation about the x-axis, y is a function of x, and the integration variable is x, not y, so that should be dx.

The integral is: ##\displaystyle\ \pi\int_{x_1}^{x_2} y^2\, dx ##

1. What is rotation around an axis?

Rotation around an axis is a type of movement in which an object or system rotates or spins around an imaginary line called an axis. This type of rotation is commonly seen in physics and engineering, and is a fundamental concept in understanding motion and forces.

2. How is rotation around an axis different from rotation around a point?

Rotation around an axis involves spinning an object or system around an imaginary line, while rotation around a point involves spinning an object or system around a fixed point in space. In rotation around an axis, the distance from the axis is constant, while in rotation around a point, the distance from the point can vary.

3. What are some real-life examples of rotation around an axis?

Some common examples of rotation around an axis include the rotation of a spinning top, the rotation of a Ferris wheel, and the rotation of a helicopter's rotor blades. Other examples include the rotation of the Earth around its axis, the rotation of a fan blade, and the rotation of a spinning dancer.

4. How is rotational motion related to angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object or system is rotating around an axis. It is related to rotational motion because the faster an object or system is rotating, the greater its angular velocity will be. This relationship is described by the formula angular velocity = (change in angle)/(change in time).

5. What are some applications of rotation around an axis?

Rotation around an axis has many practical applications in science, engineering, and everyday life. It is used to describe the motion of objects in space, the rotation of planets and stars, and the operation of machines such as turbines and engines. It is also important in fields such as robotics, computer graphics, and video game development.