Rotation Operator: Interaction between Two-Level Atom in {|g>, |e>} Basis

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the rotation operator R(t) in the context of a two level atom system. The operator is represented in the {|g>, |e>} basis using the Pauli matrix σz and its exponential is found to be the exponential of its diagonal term. The concept of taking exponential of a matrix is also mentioned and its relation to the diagonal form of the matrix is explained.
zDrajCa
Poster has been reminded to use the Homework Help Template when starting threads in the schoolwork forums
Hi, I'm working on the interaction between a two level atom (|g>, |e>)
In my exercise we have to use the rotation operator :

R(t)=exp[i(σz+1)ωt/2]

with σz the pauli matrix which is in the {|g>,|e>} basis :
(1 0)
(0 -1)

If i want to represent my rotation operator in the {|g>,|e>} basis. Then i can do:
σz +1 = (1 is the identity matrix)
( 2 0)
( 0 0)

Do my operator is :
(exp(iwt) 0 )
( 0 exp(0) )

Thanks for your answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with taking exponential of a matrix. But if you had exp(0) in the lower right position, would it also be exp(0) in the upper right and lower left?

i have read that if a matrix was diagonal (my case right) ,then the exponential of the matrix is the exponential of his diagonal term

scottdave said:
I'm not familiar with taking exponential of a matrix. But if you had exp(0) in the lower right position, would it also be exp(0) in the upper right and lower left?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrix_exponential
It can be expanded in a Taylor series.
zDrajCa said:
the exponential of the matrix is the exponential of his diagonal term
Yes, this is right.

1. What is a rotation operator in the context of a two-level atom in the {|g>, |e>} basis?

A rotation operator is a mathematical tool used to describe the interaction between a two-level atom and an external electromagnetic field. It is used to calculate the probability amplitudes for the atom to transition between its ground state (|g>) and excited state (|e>) under the influence of the external field.

2. How is the rotation operator related to the Hamiltonian of the system?

The rotation operator is closely related to the Hamiltonian of the system, which describes the total energy of the atom-field system. The rotation operator is defined as the exponential of the Hamiltonian divided by the reduced Planck's constant.

3. What is the significance of the rotation operator in quantum mechanics?

The rotation operator plays a crucial role in quantum mechanics as it allows us to calculate the evolution of a quantum system over time. It is also used to determine the probability amplitudes for different quantum states, which are essential for understanding the behavior of particles at the microscopic level.

4. Can the rotation operator be applied to other systems besides a two-level atom?

Yes, the rotation operator can be applied to any quantum system, not just a two-level atom. It is a fundamental tool in quantum mechanics and is used to describe the behavior of various physical systems, including molecules, atoms, and subatomic particles.

5. How is the rotation operator used in practical applications?

The rotation operator is used in many practical applications, including quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum information processing. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of atoms and molecules in various experimental settings, such as in the development of new technologies and materials.