Rotational Kinetic Energy of disc brakes

In summary, high performance cars often use carbon fiber disc brakes instead of iron, resulting in a reduction in mass. If both types of discs are of the same size and shape, with iron discs having a mass of 4 kg and carbon discs having a mass of 1 kg, the reduction in rotational kinetic energy at 72 km/h is 1200 J when replacing all four iron discs with carbon discs. However, the original calculation of 3600 J was incorrect as it included both rotational and translational energy. The correct calculation is 600 J, which only considers rotational energy.
johnhuntsman
The disc brakes of a high performance car are often made of carbon fiber instead of iron, thereby reducing the mass. If both types of discs are of the same size and shape, and each iron disc has a mass of 4 kg and each carbon disc has a mass of 1 kg, what is the reduction in rotational kinetic energy at 72 km/h if all the four iron discs in the car are replaced with carbon discs?

M1 = 4 kg
M2 = 1 kg
v = 72 km / h = 20 m / s
I = (1/2)MR2
K = (1/2)Iω2 + (1/2)Mv2
ω = v / R
ΔK = KFe - Kcf

My equation:
4[.5(.5M1R2)(v2 / R2) + .5M1v2] - 4[.5(.5M2R2)(v2 / R2) + .5M2v2]

The R's should cancel and and from that point on it's just plug and chug. Hoever I get 3600 J as the difference in KE. What's wrong with it?

[Edit] The answer is 1200 J by the way. That's why I don't like the 3600 J. [Edit]

Physics news on Phys.org
The question asks for the reduction in rotational energy.
You found the reduction in (rotational + translational) energy (correctly).

So then if my equation is really:

4[.5(.5M1R2)(v2 / R2)] - 4[.5(.5M2R2)(v2 / R2)]

I get 600 J as the difference, which is another 600 J short of the answer.

The expression looks good! I put in 4 for M1, 1 for M2and it worked out to 3v².
v = 72000/3600 = 20 and it evaluated to 1200 J.
Did you lose the minus sign on the 2nd term?

What I put in my TI-84:

4(.5(.5*4*200) - .5(.5*1*200))

Never mind. I see what I'm doing. I'm putting the v2 in parentheses with the .5M1R2. Thanks. I appreciate the help.

Easier to do that calc in your head than with the calculator! And no problems with brackets. Most welcome.

1. What is rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotation. It is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to rotation) by the square of its angular velocity.

2. How do disc brakes use rotational kinetic energy?

Disc brakes use rotational kinetic energy by converting it into heat energy. When the brake pads are pressed against the disc, the friction between them causes the disc to slow down, converting its rotational kinetic energy into heat energy. This heat energy is then dissipated into the air, allowing the disc to come to a stop.

3. Why is rotational kinetic energy important in disc brakes?

Rotational kinetic energy is important in disc brakes because it allows for efficient braking. By converting the rotational kinetic energy into heat energy, the brake pads are able to slow down the disc quickly and effectively, bringing the vehicle to a stop.

4. How does the mass of the disc affect its rotational kinetic energy?

The mass of the disc does not directly affect its rotational kinetic energy. The moment of inertia, which takes into account the mass and distribution of mass in an object, is the determining factor for rotational kinetic energy.

5. Can the rotational kinetic energy of disc brakes be increased?

Yes, the rotational kinetic energy of disc brakes can be increased by increasing the angular velocity of the disc. This can be achieved by applying more force to the brake pads or using larger brake discs.