In summary: Please humor me on this. I'm still learning. Consider the force acting at a distance r/100 instead of r. In that case I can easily see that the friction force would act in a direction opposite of force F. But with the force F at a distance r, I think my calculations show that, without friction (Edit added "without friction"), the torque will produce an angular acceleration such that the acceleration of the perimeter of the sphere exceeds the linear acceleration of the sphere. The result of that would be that the friction force would act in the same direction...that is, to prevent the wheel from slipping. In summary, the static friction between the bottom and top
Yodaa

Homework Statement

A tangential force F acts at the top of a thin spherical shell of mass m and radius R. Find the acceleration of the shell if it rolls without slipping.

Homework Equations

Since the shell is rolling, friction does not act at the bottom.
So equating the torque,
F*R= I*α

The Attempt at a Solution

So putting in value of Moment of inertia for a hollow sphere, I=2/3mR^2
and α=a(COM)/R
And solving for a, i got a=3F/2m
But the correct answer is : 6F/5m
Where am i going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the tangential force F acts on Top of the shell, torque is equal to F x 2R, and the correct answer is 3F/m

malemdk said:
Since the tangential force F acts on Top of the shell, torque is equal to F x 2R, and the correct answer is 3F/m
Ive taken the centre of mass as the axis of rotation. So i think it will still be F x R?
Also the correct answer given is 6F/5m

No, you said the sphere is rolling without slipping, since sphere has a contact at the bottom torque arm is 2R,if it's freely rotating about an axis which passes through the center of spherical shell then the torque arm will be R,please recheck

Yodaa said:

Homework Statement

A tangential force F acts at the top of a thin spherical shell of mass m and radius R. Find the acceleration of the shell if it rolls without slipping.

Homework Equations

This is not true if the shell is accelerating.
upload_2017-2-7_6-24-7.png

The static friction counts both in the acceleration of the CoM, and in the rotation. When you consider rotation about the centre of mass, you have to take the torque of the friction force into account.

Last edited:
Likes Yodaa
malemdk said:
You are taking the moment about the point of contact - a good idea since that means you don't have to worry about the frictional force - but then you must use the moment of inertia about that point, not the MoI about the sphere's centre.

Likes Yodaa
Since we have to find the acceleration of the axis of the sphere it is enough to calculate the MoI about the axis, center of mass not rotating about the point of contact which is at bottom

Yodaa said:
I would have thought if there was no friction the shell would be slipping.

malemdk said:
Since we have to find the acceleration of the axis of the sphere it is enough to calculate the MoI about the axis, center of mass not rotating about the point of contact which is at bottom
The center of mass rotates about the point of contact when the shell rolls.

"@ehild, is your fs pointing in the correct direction?" Tom sheepishly asks.

TomHart said:
"@ehild, is your fs pointing in the correct direction?" Tom sheepishly asks.
The static friction prevents relative motion between the surfaces in contact. Without friction, the bottom part of the shell would slip forward with acceleration equal to that of the CoM. So what is the direction of the force acting here, to prevent slipping?
Edit: not true as the force also rotates the shell with angular acceleration FR/I. That would make the rim accelerate with FR2/I with respect to the axis of the shell. The center of the shell would accelerate forward with at=F/m, the bottom part of the rim would accelerate with ar=FR2/I backward with respect to the center, that is with F/m(1-R2m/I ) with respect to the ground. As I < mR2, the contact point would slip backwards, so the force of friction should point forward.

Last edited:
Since shell is rolling on horizontal plane no rotation of axis takes place with respect to the bottom

Rolling resistance, that prevents the wheel from slipping

malemdk said:
No, rolling resistance decelerates both rotation and translation, and it acts when the objects rolls already.

ehild said:
The static friction prevents relative motion between the surfaces in contact. Without friction, the bottom part of the shell would slip forward with acceleration equal to that of the CoM. So what is the direction of the force acting here, to prevent slipping?
Please humor me on this. I'm still learning. Consider the force acting at a distance r/100 instead of r. In that case I can easily see that the friction force would act in a direction opposite of force F. But with the force F at a distance r, I think my calculations show that, without friction (Edit added "without friction"), the torque will produce an angular acceleration such that the acceleration of the perimeter of the sphere exceeds the linear acceleration of the sphere. The result of that would be that the friction force would act in the same direction as force F. Please let me know what you find. My humble disclaimer: I am still learning. :)

Likes haruspex and ehild
ehild said:
No, rolling resistance decelerates both rotation and translation, and it acts when the objects rolls already.
The applied force balances rolling resistance force which is acting vertically and offset from the center of axis, ITS NOT HORIZONTAL

malemdk said:
You mean, acceleration about the axis, not acceleration of the axis.
The angular acceleration is the same no matter which axis you use. It's a rigid body. But you must use the same axis for the torque that you use for the moment of inertia, and that axis must either be the mass centre or one that is (momentarily at least) fixed in space.
And you must include all torques. If you select the centre of the sphere as axis then there will be a torque from the friction.
malemdk said:
Since shell is rolling on horizontal plane no rotation of axis takes place with respect to the bottom
By definition, rolling contact means that the piece of the sphere in contact with the ground is instantaneously stationary relative to the ground. It can have a relative acceleration but not a relative velocity. Consequently it is the instantaneous centre of rotation. If you are not familiar with the concept of instantaneous centre of rotation Google it.
malemdk said:
No, friction with the ground prevents slipping. Since it is static friction, while rolling, it does no work.
Rolling resistance is something else. It does negative work on the body and can apply whether purely rolling or rolling while skidding. It acts like, and can include, axle friction.

Last edited:
malemdk said:
The applied force balances rolling resistance force which is acting vertically and offset from the center of axis, ITS NOT HORIZONTAL
Do I understand you correctly that you are saying rolling resistance is a vertical force? Maybe I misunderstood, but rolling resistance is a horizontal force.

TomHart said:
Please humor me on this. I'm still learning. Consider the force acting at a distance r/100 instead of r. In that case I can easily see that the friction force would act in a direction opposite of force F. But with the force F at a distance r, I think my calculations show that, without friction (Edit added "without friction"), the torque will produce an angular acceleration such that the acceleration of the perimeter of the sphere exceeds the linear acceleration of the sphere. The result of that would be that the friction force would act in the same direction as force F. Please let me know what you find. My humble disclaimer: I am still learning. :)
You are right (I am still learning at this old age :) ) You can take the direction of fs either forward or backward, you get the same acceleration of the CoM, but the direction of the static friction proves to be forward in this case.

Likes TomHart
TomHart said:
Do I understand you correctly that you are saying rolling resistance is a vertical force? Maybe I misunderstood, but rolling resistance is a horizontal force.
You are right that the net effect of rolling resistance is antiparallel to the motion (not necessarily horizontal, of course), but its nature is more complicated than you might guess. See section 4 of https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/frequently-made-errors-mechanics-friction/.

malemdk said:
The applied force acts horizontally. A horizontal force cannot, of itself, balance a vertical force. There would have to be some kind of pivot mediating, turning them into opposing torques.
Anyway, there is no suggestion in the setting of the question that rolling resistance is to be taken into account.

haruspex said:
You are right that the net effect of rolling resistance is antiparallel to the motion (not necessarily horizontal, of course), but its nature is more complicated than you might guess. See section 4 of https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/frequently-made-errors-mechanics-friction/.
@haruspex, I am trying to get on board with this rolling resistance concept.

The link you posted said: "Because of the imperfect elasticity, the normal force is stronger in the front half than in the rear. This leads to a torque opposing rotation."

So is that basically the bottom line reason for rolling resistance - that a counter torque is produced because more of the normal force is on the front part of the tire than the rear part of the tire? Or I suppose if it was a very hot day where the roads were kind of sticky, that could also produce an opposing torque from the rear part of the tire.

So from what i have understood, as @ehild mentioned, i had taken centre of mass as the axis which means i should have taken the static friction acting at the bottom into count(and should not have said that the friction does not act at the bottom what was i even thinking:cry:)
And approaching as @haruspex said, by taking the bottom point as the axis, we don't need to worry about the friction acting
Solving, Tx2R = I*(a/R) [ where I= 2/3MR^2 + MR^2 by parallel axis theorem]
Thus we get a=6F/5m, the correct answer:smile:
Thanks for putting things into perspective!

haruspex said:
The applied force acts horizontally. A horizontal force cannot, of itself, balance a vertical force. There would have to be some kind of pivot mediating, turning them into opposing torques.
Anyway, there is no suggestion in the setting of the question that rolling resistance is to be taken into account.
It's not vertical force balances the horizontal force rather F x R = Fr x s
Where Fr is rolling resistance and s the distance Fr offset from the axis

TomHart said:
@haruspex, I am trying to get on board with this rolling resistance concept.

The link you posted said: "Because of the imperfect elasticity, the normal force is stronger in the front half than in the rear. This leads to a torque opposing rotation."

So is that basically the bottom line reason for rolling resistance - that a counter torque is produced because more of the normal force is on the front part of the tire than the rear part of the tire? Or I suppose if it was a very hot day where the roads were kind of sticky, that could also produce an opposing torque from the rear part of the tire.
Yes,

Likes TomHart
TomHart said:
Yes, each of those mechanisms would provide an opposing torque. But to slow the ball that torque must somehow be turned into a horizontal force opposing the linear motion.
A third way such a torque can arise is from friction at the axle.
As I explain in the next paragraph at that link, the torque opposes the rotation of the ball, leading to a rotational deceleration. Since rotating more slowly but maintaining the same linear speed would lead to skidding, a horizontal frictional force arises. This is antiparallel to the linear motion, tending to reduce the angular deceleration while causing a linear deceleration. In this way, the rolling relationship between linear and rotational speeds is maintained.
And as the paragraph after that explains, there is another, rather different way that rolling resistance can act. In this case, it is deformation of the substrate. The normal forces are now at a range of angles to the "normal" (or, to put it another way, there is a range of normals). The normal forces at the front of the contact area tend to be stronger than those at the rear, and they point backwards. Thus, the net normal force has a component antiparallel to the linear motion. But all these normal forces point towards the ball's centre (if it it does not deform), so no torque this time.

haruspex said:
As I explain in the next paragraph at that link
You wrote that? Great job! But having read it, I realize that one time through is not enough. I am going to have to spend some mulling time.

1. What is rotational mechanics?

Rotational mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects that rotate around a fixed axis. It involves the study of torque, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.

2. How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

In rotational motion, an object moves along a circular path around a fixed axis, while in linear motion, an object moves along a straight line. Rotational motion also involves angular quantities, while linear motion involves linear quantities.

3. What is the difference between angular velocity and angular acceleration?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement, while angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity. In other words, angular velocity measures how fast an object is rotating, while angular acceleration measures how quickly the angular velocity is changing.

4. How does torque affect rotational motion?

Torque is the measure of a force's ability to cause rotational motion. It depends on both the magnitude of the force and the distance from the axis of rotation. The greater the torque, the greater the rotational acceleration of an object.

5. What are the applications of rotational mechanics?

Rotational mechanics has many practical applications, such as in the design and operation of machinery, vehicles, and sports equipment. It is also used in the fields of robotics, astronomy, and engineering to understand and predict the behavior of rotating systems.