Rotational properties of the harmonic oscillator

In summary, The conversation is about evaluating the expectation value of the rotational constant for a diatomic molecule in different vibrational states using the Harmonic Oscillator model. The person has started with the ground state and is trying to find an expression for the dependence of the expectation value on the quantum number and other parameters. They have attempted a solution involving definite integrals and have not found a solution in any of the consulted books. They are now considering a different approach to the problem.
DielsAlder
Hi everybody,

This is my first post in this forum although I started following it some time ago. My question is related to rotational properties involving harmonic oscillator model.

Homework Statement

We are told to evaluate the expectation value of the rotational constant of a diatomic molecule for each vibrational state considering the Harmonic Oscillator model. I have started with the ground vibrational state, but the entire solution of the problem should include an expression for the dependence of the expectation value of B on the quantum number [itex]\upsilon[/itex] and other parameters.

Homework Equations

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/3463/physicsforum1.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/1899/physicsforum2.jpg

Do you agree with the way I am solving the problem? I don´t find the last gaussian-like definite integral in any of the tables I have consulted and I cannot find the solution by myself. Could you make me a suggestion about it?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi again,

I have checked plenty of books about rotational spectroscopy but none of them include a detailed explanation about this topic. They only mention that even for harmonic oscillator the expectation value of 1/R^2 varies with the vibrational state.

I am starting thinking that there may exist a different approach to the problem than solving the definite integrals I have proposed in the previous post.

Related to Rotational properties of the harmonic oscillator

1. What is the rotational property of a harmonic oscillator?

The rotational property of a harmonic oscillator refers to its ability to rotate or oscillate about a fixed point or axis, exhibiting periodic motion. This is a characteristic behavior of systems that follow the laws of harmonic motion.

2. How is rotational motion related to the harmonic oscillator?

Rotational motion is closely related to the harmonic oscillator as the latter is a type of motion that involves rotation around a fixed point. The harmonic oscillator follows a specific pattern of oscillation, where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position.

3. What is the significance of the rotational properties of a harmonic oscillator?

The rotational properties of a harmonic oscillator have significant implications in various fields of science and engineering. They can be used to model and study the behavior of systems that exhibit oscillatory motion, such as pendulums, springs, and even molecular vibrations.

4. How do the rotational properties of a harmonic oscillator affect its energy?

The rotational properties of a harmonic oscillator directly impact its energy. As the oscillator rotates, it alternates between kinetic and potential energy, with the total energy remaining constant. The kinetic energy is maximum at the equilibrium position, while the potential energy is maximum at the extreme points of oscillation.

5. Can the rotational properties of a harmonic oscillator be modified?

Yes, the rotational properties of a harmonic oscillator can be modified by changing its mass, spring constant, or initial conditions. Altering these parameters can result in changes in the period, frequency, and amplitude of oscillation, thus affecting the rotational behavior of the oscillator.