Row and Column space questions.

In summary, the conversation discusses two linear algebra problems related to the consistency and rank of a linear system and the null space of matrices. The first problem involves proving that the rank of a matrix stays the same when adding a new column vector, while the second problem requires showing that the only matrix with all of R^n as its null space is the 0 matrix. The conversation also mentions a general question about the linear independence of row vectors in a matrix with linearly independent column vectors, which depends on the size of the matrix.
seang
Hey, I was looking for help on these questions dealing with row and column spaces...

1. Prove that the linear system Ax = b is consistent IFF the rank of (A|b) equals the rank of A.

2. Show that if A and B are nxn matrices, and N(A-B) = R^n, then A = B

The first one I can't get much of a handle on. I can sort of feel like its going to have to do something with b lying in the column space of A? maybe? I can't quite get there. The second one I think I understand: N(0) corresponds to 0x = x, which is any vector in R^n, or something along those lines.

And also, I have a general question: If a matrix has linearly independent column vectors, under what conditions are its row vectors linearly independent?

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track with the first one. The rank of a matrix is the dimension of the column space, or in other words, the number of columns that are linearly independent. So if the rank doesn't change when you add another column vector, what is true of this new column with respect to the old ones?

For the second, you want to show that the only matrix that has all of R^n as its null space is the 0 matrix. That is, show that if there is a single non-zero element in A, then there is some vector x with Ax[itex]\neq[/itex]0.

There is a theorem that the dimension of the column space of a matrix is the same as the dimension of the row space. So the answer to your question is that it depends on the size of the matrix (ie, if it's nxm, is n>m, n=m, or n<m?)

Related to Row and Column space questions.

1. What is the difference between row space and column space?

The row space of a matrix consists of all linear combinations of the rows of the matrix, while the column space consists of all linear combinations of the columns. In other words, the row space represents the possible outputs of a matrix, while the column space represents the possible inputs.

2. How do you find the row space and column space of a matrix?

To find the row space, we can row reduce the matrix and take the non-zero rows as the basis for the row space. To find the column space, we can column reduce the matrix and take the non-zero columns as the basis for the column space.

3. Can a matrix have different row and column spaces?

Yes, it is possible for a matrix to have different row and column spaces. This occurs when the number of rows and columns are not equal, or when there are linearly dependent rows or columns in the matrix.

4. What is the significance of the row and column spaces?

The row and column spaces are important because they provide insight into the underlying structure and properties of a matrix. They also help us solve systems of linear equations, find eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and perform other operations on matrices.

5. How can we use row and column spaces in real-world applications?

Row and column spaces are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to model and analyze systems. For example, in engineering, row and column spaces can be used to represent systems of equations and find solutions for them. In economics, they can be used to analyze data and make predictions about market trends.