Solving a 1st-Order Diff Eq for Boating Path

In summary: I don't think so. I think I started with the equation in polar coordinates and then changed it to Cartesian. I am not sure.
PhysicsMark

Homework Statement

The following problem involve the setting up and solving of a first-order differential equation for a physical situation. Once, derived the equation itself is not difficult to solve.

A boater rows across a straight river of constant width "w", always heading (i.e., pointing the front of the boat) toward the position on the bank directly opposite the starting point. If the river flows with uniform speed "v" and if the speed with which the boater can row is also "v", find the equation of the path of the boat. How far downstream does the boater finally land? [Hint: if x is the cross-stream position of the boat and y is its downstream position, find an expression for dy/dx. Then solve for y(x).]

Homework Equations

All knowledge gained up to this point.

The Attempt at a Solution

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I would first like to point out (I assume most will understand this, but I didn't at first) that the path of the boat is a parabolic curve, not a straight line. I have been working at this for a couple of days. I believe I am extremely close. I think it would take a lot to explain all my steps, so I am going to try and write down the "important" parts and take it from there. If something is unclear, or you see something you do not agree with, I will explain what I did in detail and we can take it from there.Ok, drawing a picture and breaking down the velocities into components ( I drew a triangle here) I have the following EQ for dy/dx (This part wasn't obvious to me, though it may be for you):

[tex]{\frac{dy}{dx}={\frac{sin(\theta)}{1-cos(\theta)}[/tex]

Where:

[tex]cos(\theta)={\frac{y}{\sqrt{(w-x)^2+y^2}}}[/tex]

and

[tex]sin(\theta)={\frac{w-x}{\sqrt{(w-x)^2+y^2}}}[/tex]

After getting here, I got stuck for awhile. I tried different algebraic manipulations but in the end was not able to get the y^2 term out. Based on that I started to think the equation was not separable (by methods that I know). So I made a substitution.

[tex]z=w-x[/tex]

[tex]dz=-dx[/tex]

First I inserted the "z" substitution here(I made more than a few manipulations with the equation but I don't think they're hard to follow):

[tex]{\frac{dy}{dx}={\frac{z}{\sqrt{z^2+y^2}-y}}[/tex]

Then I separated the Equation and made the dz=-dx substitution.

[tex](\sqrt{z^2+y^2}-y})dy=-zdz[/tex]

Ok so here is where I am now. First; I am not sure if everything from the original dy/dx equation until now is correct. I am sure about the dy/dx (at least according to my professor. I am of course open to criticism). Second; I do not know where to go from here. I was thinking of using a method we have learned about solving inexact differentials. I am not sure if I can use this because my book seems to imply that you must have functions of 2 variables where I do not have functions of 2 variables. If someone has an idea, I would love to hear it. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What you did is correct. Actually a function that depends only on z is also a function of 2 variables: f(y,z) = -z
I don't think you can solve it as an exact differential equation.

I wrote the differential equation in polar coordinates. (with the target point as the origin)
and got a differential equation for r and [itex] \phi [/itex] that was separable.
You should be able to solve your equation by substituting

[tex] r = \sqrt{y^2 + z^2} [/tex] and

[tex] \cos {\phi} = \frac {y}{r} [/itex]

willem2 said:
What you did is correct. Actually a function that depends only on z is also a function of 2 variables: f(y,z) = -z
I don't think you can solve it as an exact differential equation.

I wrote the differential equation in polar coordinates. (with the target point as the origin)
and got a differential equation for r and [itex] \phi [/itex] that was separable.
You should be able to solve your equation by substituting

[tex] r = \sqrt{y^2 + z^2} [/tex] and

[tex] \cos {\phi} = \frac {y}{r} [/itex]

Do you mean changing to polar from the beginning?

1. How do you solve a 1st-order differential equation for a boating path?

Solving a 1st-order differential equation for a boating path involves using mathematical techniques to find the equation that describes the path of a boat on water. This typically involves using known variables such as the boat's velocity, wind speed, and water currents to create an equation that represents the boat's position at any given time.

2. What is the importance of solving a 1st-order differential equation for a boating path?

Solving a 1st-order differential equation for a boating path is important for understanding and predicting the movement of boats on water. This can be useful for navigation, optimizing boat routes, and predicting potential hazards on the water.

3. What are some common methods used to solve 1st-order differential equations for boating paths?

Some common methods for solving 1st-order differential equations for boating paths include separation of variables, substitution, and using numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods. These methods involve manipulating the equation to isolate the dependent variable and then integrating to find the solution.

4. How does wind and water currents affect the solution of a 1st-order differential equation for a boating path?

Wind and water currents can significantly affect the solution of a 1st-order differential equation for a boating path. These factors can change the boat's velocity and direction, which in turn affects the equation and the boat's path. It is important to consider these variables when solving the equation to accurately predict the boat's movement.

5. Can 1st-order differential equations be used to model more complex boating paths?

Yes, 1st-order differential equations can be used to model more complex boating paths. In some cases, multiple equations may be needed to account for different variables and factors affecting the boat's path. Furthermore, higher-order differential equations can also be used to model more complex movements such as curves and turns in the boat's path.