Rule de l'Hôpital - Continuous and Differentiable

In summary: For continuity, I used the fact that ##x^x## is continuous and the limit of x as it approaches 0 is 0, therefore the limit is 0^0 = 1. For differentiability, I used the definition of a derivative and took the limit as x approached 0 from the right and showed that it does not exist. Therefore, h(x) is continuous but not differentiable at x = 0.In summary, the function h(x) is continuous at x = 0 because the limit as x approaches 0 from the right equals 1. However, it is not differentiable at x = 0 because the derivative does not exist due to a division by 0.
mk9898

Homework Statement

Prove that

##h: [0,\infty) \rightarrow \mathbb R, x \mapsto
\begin{cases}
x^x, \ \ x>0\\
1, \ \ x = 0\\
\end{cases}
##
is continuous but not differentiable at x = 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

To show continuity, the limit as x approaches 0 from the right must equal to 1. Meaning:

##\lim_{x \ \downarrow \ 0} h(x) = 1##.

##\lim_{x \ \downarrow 0} h(x) = \lim_{x \ \downarrow 0} x^x = 0^0 = 1## (I'm not too content with this part. Just plugging in 0 seems wrong to me and I would have to maybe use the definition of continuity?)

Differentiable:
##h'(0) = 0##
##\lim_{x \ \downarrow 0} \frac{f(x) - f(0)}{x-0} = \lim_{x \ \downarrow 0} \frac{x^x - 0^0}{x-0} = \lim_{x \ \downarrow 0} \frac{x^x - 1}{x} = \lim_{x \ \downarrow 0} x^{x-1}-1## does not exists due to 1/0. Therefore h(x) is not differentiable.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no left side. The function is not defined for ##x < 0##.

Crap. Right. Fixed it.

Can anyone give me some insight please?

I made an error in my calculations. I think I got it now.

mk9898 said:
##\lim_{x \ \downarrow 0} h(x) = \lim_{x \ \downarrow 0} x^x = 0^0 = 1## (I'm not too content with this part. Just plugging in 0 seems wrong to me and I would have to maybe use the definition of continuity?)

Differentiable:
##h'(0) = 0##
##\lim_{x \ \downarrow 0} \frac{f(x) - f(0)}{x-0} = \lim_{x \ \downarrow 0} \frac{x^x - 0^0}{x-0} = \lim_{x \ \downarrow 0} \frac{x^x - 1}{x} = \lim_{x \ \downarrow 0} x^{x-1}-1## does not exists due to 1/0. Therefore h(x) is not differentiable.

I'm not too happy with what you are doing there either. Maybe you should use that ##x^x=e^{x \ln x}## to get some believable arguments.

Thanks for the response. I figured that my last step there is false. After L'Hospital I found the answer.

1. What is the Rule de l'Hôpital?

The Rule de l'Hôpital is a mathematical rule used to evaluate the limit of a function that is in an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It is also known as L'Hôpital's Rule and was created by French mathematician Guillaume de l'Hôpital in the 17th century.

2. When can the Rule de l'Hôpital be applied?

The Rule de l'Hôpital can only be applied when the limit of a function is in an indeterminate form, meaning that both the numerator and denominator approach 0 or infinity. It can also be applied when the limit involves trigonometric functions, logarithms, or exponentials.

3. What is the process for using the Rule de l'Hôpital?

The process for using the Rule de l'Hôpital involves taking the derivative of both the numerator and denominator of the original function, simplifying the resulting expression, and then evaluating the limit again. This process can be repeated multiple times if necessary until the limit can be determined.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Rule de l'Hôpital?

Yes, there are limitations to using the Rule de l'Hôpital. It can only be applied to functions that are continuous and differentiable in the given interval. It also cannot be used for limits involving sequences or series.

5. Why is the Rule de l'Hôpital useful?

The Rule de l'Hôpital is useful because it provides a simplified and systematic way to evaluate indeterminate limits. It also allows for the evaluation of limits that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods.