Deriving Rutherford Scattering Angle

In summary: Anyhow, if anyone can tell me if I am doing something wrong that would be much appreciated, and I thank you.In summary, the conversation is discussing the derivation of an expression for the Rutherford scattering angle, denoted by \theta. The expression is derived for a hyperbolic trajectory in terms of α and ε, where α is a constant (\alpha = \frac{L^2}{mk}) and \frac{\alpha}{r} = 1 + \epsilon \cos \theta. The goal is to find an equation for the scattering angle, knowing that the asymptotes are y = \pm \tan \left(\frac{\pi - \theta}{2}\right)(x+x_0). The conversation includes a
Emspak

Homework Statement

We want to fin an expression for [itex]\theta[/itex], the Rutherford scattering angle.

I have an expression that I derived for a hyperbolic trajectory, of the form [itex]\frac{(x+x_0)^2}{A^2}-\frac{y^2}{B^2} = 1[/itex]. We wanted it in terms of α, ε, where α is a constant ([itex] \alpha = \frac{L^2}{mk}[/itex]) and [itex] \frac{\alpha}{r} = 1 + \epsilon \cos \theta[/itex].

So what I got was:

[tex] \left( x - \frac{\alpha \epsilon}{(\epsilon^2-1)} \right)\frac{(\epsilon^2-1)}{\alpha^2} - \frac{y^2(\epsilon^2-1)}{\alpha^2} =1 [/tex].

Well an good, I thought. Anyhow, the next bit is deriving an equation for the scattering angle, knowing that the asymptotes are [itex]y = \pm \tan \left(\frac{\pi - \theta}{2}\right)(x+x_0)[/itex].

I have [itex](x+x_0)[/itex], that's [itex] \left( x - \frac{\alpha \epsilon}{(\epsilon^2-1} \right)[/itex].

so if I want θ i first solved for [itex]\tan \left(\frac{\pi - \theta}{2}\right)[/itex].

I got:

[tex]\tan\left(\frac{\pi - \theta}{2}\right) = \frac{y}{x+x_0} = \frac{y}{\left( x - \frac{\alpha \epsilon}{\epsilon^2-1}\right)} = \frac{y(\epsilon^2-1)}{x(\epsilon^2-1)+\alpha \epsilon}[/tex]

From there it seems to me I need to solve for θ. The simplest thing seemed to be to take an inverse tangent of the rather messy expression on the right. But I suspect something else is wanted here. That's what I am trying to figure out.

Otherwise Id have tried treating [itex]\tan ((\theta - \pi)/2)[/itex] as [itex]\frac{-\sin(\theta)}{1-\cos \theta}[/itex] on the left and substituting in the conversion to cartesian coordinates for cos θ, and then take an inverse sine of the (again) messy stuff on the right.

Anyhow, if anyone can tell me if I am doing something wrong that would be much appreciated, and I thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equationsx = \frac{\alpha \epsilon}{\epsilon^2-1} + r\cos \theta y = r \sin \theta The Attempt at a Solution I got: \tan\left(\frac{\pi - \theta}{2}\right) = \frac{y}{x+x_0} = \frac{y}{\left( x - \frac{\alpha \epsilon}{\epsilon^2-1}\right)} = \frac{y(\epsilon^2-1)}{x(\epsilon^2-1)+\alpha \epsilon}From there it seems to me I need to solve for θ. The simplest thing seemed to be to take an inverse tangent of the rather messy expression on the right. But I suspect something else is wanted here. That's what I am trying to figure out. Otherwise Id have tried treating \tan ((\theta - \pi)/2) as \frac{-\sin(\theta)}{1-\cos \theta} on the left and substituting in the conversion to cartesian coordinates for cos θ, and then take an inverse sine of the (again) messy stuff on the right.

What is Rutherford scattering angle?

Rutherford scattering angle refers to the angle at which an alpha particle is deflected as it passes through a thin gold foil, as observed in Ernest Rutherford's famous experiment in 1911.

How is Rutherford scattering angle derived?

Rutherford scattering angle is derived using the classical equation for the force between two charged particles, Coulomb's law. By considering the repulsive force between the alpha particle and the positively charged nucleus of the gold atoms, the angle of deflection can be calculated.

What factors affect the Rutherford scattering angle?

The Rutherford scattering angle is affected by the distance between the alpha particle and the gold nucleus, the charge of the alpha particle and nucleus, and the initial velocity of the alpha particle. Additionally, the thickness and density of the gold foil can also impact the scattering angle.

Why is the Rutherford scattering angle important in understanding atomic structure?

The Rutherford scattering angle provided evidence for the existence of a small, dense, positively charged nucleus within the atom. This discovery revolutionized the understanding of atomic structure and paved the way for the development of the modern atomic model.

How does the Rutherford scattering angle support the atomic model?

The Rutherford scattering angle supports the atomic model by confirming that the majority of an atom's mass and positive charge is concentrated in the nucleus. This is consistent with the idea of a small, dense nucleus surrounded by a cloud of negatively charged electrons, as proposed by the atomic model.