Schutz First Course in GR Problem 15b, chapter 1. Mistake?

In summary, the conversation discusses an approximation of the Lorentz contraction formula for an observer with a velocity close to the speed of light. The approximation is given by ∆x≈∆x'/√(2ε), but it is believed to be a typo and should instead be ∆x≈∆x'√(2ε). The length measured by the observer is shorter than the length measured by the moving frame of reference. There is also mention of a different problem related to special relativity.
guitarphysics

Homework Statement

Suppose that the velocity of an observer O' relative to O is nearly that of light, |v|=1-ε, 0<ε<<1. Show that the Lorentz contraction formula can by approximated by:
∆x≈∆x'/√(2ε)

Homework Equations

Lorentz contraction, ∆x=∆x'/γ

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it should be ∆x≈∆x'(√(2ε)). (As opposed to divided by the square root of 2ε). Is this a mistake in the book, or am I just being stupid? Don't tell me how to solve it or anything- just if it's a mistake or not; if not, I'll keep trying but I don't want to waste my time if the problem is stated incorrectly. Thanks!Ps. Anybody who likes SR- try out problem 12 from that same chapter, it's very fun :).
PPs. Just thinking intuitively, the approximation given by the problem is incorrect because it'd give a longer length measured by observer O, which just makes no sense. The famous effect is a contraction, after all!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The length is maximum in the frame in which the object is at rest. Usually x' refers to the moving frame of reference. Imagine you stand on the ground and determine the length of a stick in a spaceship. The length of a stick is measured Lo by the astronaut, the observer who moves together with the stick: Δx' = Lo. You measure L=Δx, a shorter length, L=Lo√(1-(v/c2), but that means Δx'=Δx/√(1-(v/c)2).

ehild

I agree, and I don't believe I said anything that contradicted any of that. What are your thoughts on the problem? I think it has a typo, and it should say that ∆x is approximately ∆x' *times* sqrt(2 epsilon).

guitarphysics said:
I agree, and I don't believe I said anything that contradicted any of that. What are your thoughts on the problem? I think it has a typo, and it should say that ∆x is approximately ∆x' *times* sqrt(2 epsilon).

Yes, you are right if Lo=∆x' and L=∆x, as L should be shorter than Lo :) . It is a typo in the book, or it defined x' and x in the opposite way.

ehild

Cool, thanks!

Related to Schutz First Course in GR Problem 15b, chapter 1. Mistake?

1. What is the problem in Schutz First Course in GR Problem 15b, chapter 1?

The problem in Schutz First Course in GR Problem 15b, chapter 1 is a mathematical exercise that involves solving for the Ricci tensor and scalar curvature for a given metric tensor.

2. What is the significance of Problem 15b in chapter 1?

Problem 15b in chapter 1 of Schutz First Course in GR is an important exercise that helps students to apply the concepts of general relativity and understand the mathematical techniques used in solving problems in this field. It also helps to build a foundation for solving more complex problems in the future.

3. What is the mistake in Problem 15b?

The mistake in Problem 15b is that the given metric tensor is not a valid solution to the Einstein field equations. This results in incorrect calculations of the Ricci tensor and scalar curvature.

4. How can the mistake in Problem 15b be corrected?

The mistake in Problem 15b can be corrected by carefully checking the given metric tensor and ensuring that it satisfies the Einstein field equations. It may also involve using different mathematical techniques to solve the problem.

5. What can be learned from Problem 15b in chapter 1 of Schutz First Course in GR?

Problem 15b in chapter 1 of Schutz First Course in GR teaches students the importance of double checking their calculations and solutions, as even a small mistake can lead to incorrect results. It also highlights the need for a deep understanding of the mathematical concepts used in general relativity.