Science Competition Entry Ideas

In summary, this person wants some ideas for a presentation on a topic they have not thought of before. They recommend browsing the forum or the PF Insights Blog for ideas, and also reading popular science periodicals.
Physics news on Phys.org
One of the judging criteria is "Originality in the choice of the scientific concept(s)". Do you think it is right that someone else come up with the topic so you can be rewarded for it? This should be your work, not ours.

Likes Dadface, jedishrfu and berkeman
Ivan Samsonov said:
I have decided to take part in a science competition for 2018.
Link:
https://eureka-entry.australianmuseum.net.au/school-science/sleek-geeks-science-eureka-prize-–-secondary
I would love some advice of some topics I could make a 3 min presentation about. I am looking for original, interesting and informative ideas.
Can you help?
Thank you.

I have a slightly different angle than Vanadium. Usually, one first have an idea on what to present BEFORE deciding on entering such a competition, not the other way around. You seem to have decided to enter this before you actually have something to present. That is the definitive "putting the cart before the horse" case.

It seems that this competition is about YOUR ability to present a scientific idea. So might be more prudent that you figure out the topics that you have already understood, or might have the ability to understand, and maybe already have an interest in. It is of no use to you if we start suggesting something that goes WAY above your head. How will you be able to explain something that you yourself do not understand?

So why don't you either browse through the forum, or better yet, browse through the PF Insights section, and see if a topic catches your eye that you think you might be able to handle. If you need further help in understanding that topic, then this is where you can make the most effective use of this forum.

Zz.

Likes Dr. Courtney, Dadface and berkeman
Ivan Samsonov said:
I have decided to take part in a science competition for 2018.
Link:
https://eureka-entry.australianmuseum.net.au/school-science/sleek-geeks-science-eureka-prize-–-secondary
I commend your enthusiasm in wanting to enter the science competition. You can get a lot out of doing such a project. BTW, did you already submit your application? When is the deadline for submitting your video, or are you thinking ahead to next year?
Complete the online entry form by 7pm AEST Friday 5 May 2017 and print a copy.
EDIT/ADD -- I see now you mention you want to do the 2018 competition. :smile:

It seems like the short length and format of the video presentation will drive a lot of the ideas you end up exploring. You can think about how to use things like a smartphone or tablet as part of the presentation, and perhaps could think about even presenting something about the physics and science behind the new features in such portable devices that we are now starting to take for granted. There is some great science behind that technology.

Can you show us some ideas that you can think of for presentations about some feature(s) of modern portable devices that involve a lot of science that the general public may not know much about? Can you make a presentation in 1-3 minutes with demos and other interesting things about any of those ideas?

And definitely read through the PF Insights Blog area to look for ideas and inspirations. And perhaps check out some of the science periodicals with popular articles for ideas, like Science News, etc.

https://www.sciencenews.org/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4MqRz8yJ1gIVRmV-Ch2jYAg7EAAYASAAEgI8Y_D_BwE

Last edited:
Likes Dadface and jedishrfu

What is a science competition entry?

A science competition entry is a project or idea that is submitted to a competition in the field of science. It can be a research project, an experiment, a design, or any other innovative idea that showcases a scientific concept or problem.

What makes a good science competition entry?

A good science competition entry is well-researched, original, and addresses a relevant scientific issue or question. It should also be clearly presented and demonstrate a strong understanding of scientific principles and methods.

How can I come up with ideas for a science competition entry?

Brainstorming, researching current scientific topics, and collaborating with others are all great ways to come up with ideas for a science competition entry. You can also draw inspiration from your own interests and hobbies.

Do I need to have a background in science to enter a science competition?

No, you do not necessarily need a background in science to enter a science competition. However, a basic understanding of scientific principles and methods will be helpful in developing and presenting your entry.

What are the benefits of participating in a science competition?

Participating in a science competition can help you develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills. It also provides an opportunity to showcase your knowledge and creativity, and potentially win prizes or recognition for your work.