Sealing Hellium at Higher Temperatures: Possible Solutions?

• Thread starter Pkruse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sealing
In summary, Hellium leaks through all normal seals. I've used Indium seals to get leak rates down as low as 0.0000000001 grams/sec, but that only works for normal ambient temperatures. The stuff has a low melting point, which prohibits its use in my current application.
Pkruse
Hellium leaks through all normal seals. I've used Indium seals to get leak rates down as low as 0.0000000001 grams/sec, but that only works for normal ambient temperatures. (Customer requirements were no greater than ten to the minus six grams/sec. The Indium seals were orders of magnitued below that.) The stuff has a low melting point, which prohibits its use in my current application.

Has anyone successfully sealed Hellium at higher temperatures? I'm talking about a number of different temperature ranges, some of them up to 1800 degrees F. It is possible that some future applications will be higher than that. I'm looking for any ideas for temperatures starting as low as 400 degrees F, since some of the appliacations are not so high.

I understand that I will have to accept some leakage at rates higher than customers have found acceptable in previous applications. We just need to keep the leak rates as low as reasonable.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Nobody has any good ideas?

I could not find any, either.

Looks like I might be reduced to cooling the joints and using Indium. Maybe I could find a way to use Indium as a brazing material to install the copper cooling tube, and then find a really clever means of using the soldier surface as a sealing surface.

Anyone ever braze or soldier with Indium?

CF flanges can be used up to at least 450C (around 800 F) with standard copper gaskets and the leak rate should not be a problem.
But I have no idea what you would use for temperatures above that.

Thanks much, f95toli. I had not given them a thought because while they are awesome for vacuum systems, the suppliers of CF seals all have warnings in their literature against using them for pressure systems. But if I modify the flange design a little and test appropriately, I can probably sell the concept.

On a side note, many years ago I worked on a high pressure Helium system that had a near zero leak design requirement. On the flare fittings, we simply used a modified CF gasket on a standard flare fitting, and got leak rates that we needed some very expensive equipment to measure any leak rates at all. The atoms must have almost been leaking out one at a time. That also was a pressure system rather than vacuum.

Would there be any advantage to stacking multiple seals (like an airlock sort of setup)?
I know nothing of the subject; just thinking out loud.

We used to weld the seams. But then again, I don't know of anyone going that high. You'd better have great materials, or you'll have helium wiggling through defects in the microstructure.

CF seals do something of that effect on vacuum systems. If I use that concept for a high pressure system, I'll redesign the interface to make it more so. Certainly the Indium seals for lower temperature Helium do that extremely well. Essentially, we are talking about making a labrinth along the leak path, and packing that labrinth with either Indium for low temperature applications, or copper at higher temperatures. Clamping the flange together provides the pressure to force either the Indium or the Copper to flow through that labrinth leak path, thereby blocking it.

In one potential application, the Helium may be contaminated such that we must keep our leak rate down very low as a matter in Industrial Safety.

What is the purpose of sealing helium at higher temperatures?

The purpose of sealing helium at higher temperatures is to prevent the gas from escaping or leaking out of a container when it is exposed to high temperatures. Helium is commonly used in various scientific and industrial processes, and it is important to ensure that it remains contained and does not escape into the environment.

Why is it difficult to seal helium at higher temperatures?

Helium is a gas with very small molecules, which makes it difficult to contain and seal at high temperatures. At higher temperatures, the molecules have more energy and move faster, increasing the chances of escaping through any small gaps or imperfections in the container. Additionally, helium is also chemically inert, meaning it does not react with other substances, making it difficult to form strong bonds or seals.

What are some possible solutions for sealing helium at higher temperatures?

One possible solution is to use materials that have a high melting point and can withstand the high temperatures without breaking down. Examples of these materials include metals such as tungsten and ceramics like alumina. Another solution is to use specialized sealing techniques, such as welding or brazing, which can create strong bonds between materials and prevent helium from escaping.

What are the limitations of using conventional seals for higher temperature helium containment?

Conventional seals, such as O-rings and gaskets, may not be suitable for containing helium at higher temperatures due to their limited temperature range. These seals are often made of rubber or other organic materials, which can degrade or melt at high temperatures. They also rely on compression to create a seal, which may not be effective at higher temperatures when materials may expand or deform.

Are there any new technologies being developed for sealing helium at higher temperatures?

Yes, there are ongoing research and development efforts to develop new technologies for sealing helium at higher temperatures. These include the use of advanced materials, such as carbon nanotubes or graphene, which have high strength and thermal stability. Other approaches involve the use of novel sealing techniques, such as cold welding or ion implantation, which can create strong and durable seals even at high temperatures.