Second-Order Nonhomogeneous DE

In summary, the given equation is an inhomogeneous Cauchy-Euler ODE with boundary conditions. While undetermined coefficients cannot be used, the method of variation of parameters can be applied to find the particular solution. The homogeneous solutions can be obtained by using substitution.
ohgeecsea
The Equation:

x^2 (d^2y/dx^2) + 3x (dy/dx) - 3y = x

The boundary conditions:

y(x=1) = 0
y(x=2) = 1

It's been awhile since I took diffeq, but my research has led me to believe that this is not a Cauchy-Euler Equation since it is not equal to 0, it cannot be separated for separation of variables, it cannot be solved using reduction of order because I was not given one solution, and I cannot solve using Laplace transforms because I was not given initial values, just boundary conditions.

I considered dividing by x^2 or x, but that leaves me either with a constant (still not 0) or a term that has both x and y in it, which I wouldn't know how to solve either.

I just re-imaged my laptop so I do not currently have MATLAB, but if I did I would not be quite sure how to go about it. WolphramAlpha didn't read the equation correctly. I have flipped through a friend's differential equation book and that yielded nothing helpful.

It seems likely that this has a simple solution because this homework was intended as a review of diffeq, so I'm sure a large part of the problem is that I'm rusty and have overlooked something. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is an inhomogeneous Cauchy-Euler ODE !

As always with linear ODEs you can find the homogeneous solution to the ODE and add the particular solution to get the full solution.

Technically you can not use the Undetermined Coefficients method, it can only be used with constant coefficient ODEs.

But you can still guess the particular solution (guess Ax).

The rigorous way to solve it is to use substitution: x = exp(z)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy–Euler_equation

Related to Second-Order Nonhomogeneous DE

1. What is a Second-Order Nonhomogeneous DE?

A Second-Order Nonhomogeneous DE (differential equation) is a mathematical equation that involves a second derivative of a function, along with additional terms that are not related to the function or its derivatives. These additional terms are known as nonhomogeneous terms and can include constants, functions, or variables.

2. How is a Second-Order Nonhomogeneous DE solved?

To solve a Second-Order Nonhomogeneous DE, we use a variety of techniques such as the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, or Laplace transforms. These methods involve finding a particular solution that satisfies the nonhomogeneous terms and adding it to the general solution of the corresponding homogeneous equation.

3. What is the difference between a Second-Order Homogeneous and Nonhomogeneous DE?

A Second-Order Homogeneous DE only contains terms related to the function and its derivatives, while a Nonhomogeneous DE contains additional terms that are not related to the function or its derivatives. This means that the solution to a Homogeneous DE will only have a general solution, while the solution to a Nonhomogeneous DE will have a particular solution and a general solution.

4. Can a Second-Order Nonhomogeneous DE have multiple solutions?

Yes, a Second-Order Nonhomogeneous DE can have multiple solutions. This is because the particular solution and the general solution can vary depending on the method used to solve the equation. Additionally, the presence of arbitrary constants in the general solution can also result in multiple solutions.

5. What are some real-world applications of Second-Order Nonhomogeneous DEs?

Second-Order Nonhomogeneous DEs are commonly used in physics and engineering to model systems that involve forces, oscillations, or vibrations. Some examples include the motion of a pendulum, the behavior of an electrical circuit, or the displacement of a spring.