Self study towards quantum mechanics, string theory etc.

In summary, the speaker is a PhD student in robotics with a strong interest in theoretical physics. They are looking for a rigorous understanding of the fundamentals to keep up with current research. They have a background in classical mechanics, optics, atomic physics, and basic electromagnetism, but feel there is a gap between undergraduate math and advanced physics concepts. They are seeking guidance on where to start, whether it be with Griffith's QM, studying the math first, or delving into general and special relativity. They have also checked out Gerard t'Hooft's website for self-study but are having trouble connecting the dots and finding a good starting point.
SaiHV
Hello, before I start off, I apologize for asking a question which I am sure has been asked hundreds of times before: but I felt there is just way too much information out there which is a little confusing, so I am here with the hope of getting some personalized suggestions.

I am currently a PhD student in engineering, robotics, to be specific. I've always had a lot of interest towards theoretical physics, although I wasn't really brave enough to start getting to it, but I've decided I have to start somewhere with self study. I don't really have any ideas of making it my career or anything like that. All I am looking for is a rigorous understanding of all the fundamentals that will let me keep up with and understand current research advances etc. As to my background, I am pretty comfortable with classical mechanics, optics, atomic physics, basics of electromagnetism (my undergraduate study was in electrical engineering), calculus (limits, differentiation, integration, ODEs, PDEs), vectors, matrices, linear algebra, Fourier analysis, Laplace and z transforms etc. My only knowledge in the advanced areas of physics comes from books like The Elegant Universe.

It just feels like there's a weird gap between undergraduate mathematics and the exotic sounding concepts like Riemannian geometry, group theory etc., on which most theoretical physics concepts seem to be based. It'd be really great if anyone can let me know what's the best step to start off with: do I just get something like Griffith's QM and wade through the theory? Do I start studying the math first and get a good grasp? Do I study general relativity and special relativity before QM? I have checked out Gerard t'Hooft's website for self-study, and although that gave me a good list of topics, I am having trouble connecting the dots for which one relates to what, and what is a good, not too over-ambitious choice for someone like me.

Thanks for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as reading Griffith's QM goes, you definitely have enough math for it, so give it a shot. And for special relativity, the last chapter of Griffiths' E&M gives a good intro as well.

Related to Self study towards quantum mechanics, string theory etc.

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of particles at a subatomic level. It describes the principles and laws that govern the behavior of matter and energy on a very small scale.

2. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to unify the four fundamental forces of nature (gravity, electromagnetism, strong and weak nuclear forces) by describing all particles as tiny vibrating strings. It is a complex mathematical theory that is still being studied and developed.

3. Why is self-study important for understanding quantum mechanics and string theory?

Self-study allows for a deeper and more thorough understanding of these complex theories. It allows individuals to learn at their own pace and focus on specific areas of interest. Also, since quantum mechanics and string theory are constantly evolving, self-study can help individuals stay updated on the latest developments.

4. What are the prerequisites for self-studying quantum mechanics and string theory?

A strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus and linear algebra, is necessary for studying quantum mechanics and string theory. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of classical mechanics and electromagnetism.

5. Are there any online resources or textbooks that you would recommend for self-studying quantum mechanics and string theory?

Yes, there are many online resources and textbooks available for self-studying these topics. Some popular resources include MIT OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and Coursera. Textbooks such as "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths and "String Theory and M-Theory: A Modern Introduction" by Katrin Becker, Melanie Becker, and John H. Schwarz are also highly recommended.