Self Studying Proof Based Calculus

In summary, a person is seeking help with understanding proof-based calculus and mentions that they are using the textbook Apostol Calculus 1. Another person recommends an online course from MIT that uses the same textbook. They also suggest asking for help on forums related to the textbook.
joey674
Hello everyone. 'm studying proof based calculus in my spare time. I have already taking Multivariable calculus, Diff. Equations and Linear Algebra. I'm using the textbook Apostol Calculus 1, as it was recommended by these forums, but I'm having great difficulty on understanding some of the concepts. Is there any online courses that use this specific book that I can follow or something? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
i was going to recommend apostol. so if you have questions you might ask them here.

Likes joey674

1. What is "Self Studying Proof Based Calculus"?

"Self Studying Proof Based Calculus" is a method of learning calculus where the student takes on a more active role in their learning process. Instead of simply memorizing formulas and completing calculations, students are encouraged to understand the underlying concepts and principles through the use of proofs and logical reasoning.

2. Why is this method of learning calculus beneficial?

This method of learning calculus has several benefits. It helps students develop critical thinking skills, strengthens their understanding of calculus concepts, and prepares them for more advanced math courses. Additionally, it allows students to learn at their own pace and in a way that works best for them.

3. Do I need to have a strong math background to self study proof based calculus?

While having a strong math background can be helpful, it is not necessary to self study proof based calculus. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and precalculus concepts before diving into calculus.

4. What resources are available for self studying proof based calculus?

There are many resources available for self studying proof based calculus, including textbooks, online courses, video lectures, and practice problems. It is important to find resources that align with your learning style and goals.

5. Can I self study proof based calculus and still be successful in my academic or professional pursuits?

Absolutely! Self studying proof based calculus can be just as effective as taking a traditional course in terms of academic and professional success. It requires dedication and self-discipline, but the critical thinking and problem-solving skills gained from this method of learning can be valuable in any field.