Semiconductor Voltage Output

In summary, the question is asking to calculate the CMOS inverter output voltage and current for three different input voltages, with given parameters for the MOSFETs. The lecturer's sample solution makes assumptions about the threshold and saturation voltages, which will be verified after the calculations are done.
DRealSeal
Hi all, this is my first post here. I'm hoping some input will help me verify what I am missing.

This is a question from an exam paper I'm doing for a module on introduction to semiconductor technology

Calculate the CMOS inverter output voltage Vout, and the corresponding inverter current,
for each of the following inverter input voltages:
Vin = 1V
Vin = 4V
Vin = Vout = Vinv (inverter switching voltage)
where the CMOS transistor parameters are as follows:
Vthpd= -Vthpu=0.7V, Wpd/Lpd=2, Wpu/Lpu=4, μn=2μp, Vdd=3.5V
Clearly state (and verify) all assumptions.

The issue is less with the question, more with the sample solution that the lecturer has given, where he provides some assumptions, which has confused my previous understanding:

Assume Vdspd ~ .3V, Vdspu = .3-3.5 = -3.2V
Vdsatpd = Vgspd-Vthpd = 2.1 - .7 = 1.4 => in linear operation (to be verified after calculation)
Vdsatpu = Vgspu-Vthpu = 2.1-3.5+.7 = -.7 => in satn operation (to be verified after calculation)

I'm confused as to where he obtained the value '2.1'. I understand everything else with regards to equating the linear or saturated I-V MOSFET equations and proceeding from there, but I think I'm missing something rather basic here... go easy lol...

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your post and for reaching out for input on your question. It's great that you are seeking clarification on the assumptions made in the sample solution provided by your lecturer. This shows that you are actively engaged in your studies and want to fully understand the material.

To answer your question about where the value of 2.1 came from, it is most likely the threshold voltage (Vth) of the MOSFET in the inverter circuit. The threshold voltage is the minimum voltage required at the gate to turn on the MOSFET and allow current to flow. In this case, the threshold voltage for both the p-type and n-type MOSFETs is 0.7V, as stated in the problem. However, in the sample solution, the threshold voltage is represented as a difference between the gate voltage (Vgs) and the threshold voltage (Vth), which is why the value of 2.1 is used (2.1 - 0.7 = 1.4). This is a common way to represent the threshold voltage in MOSFET equations.

Additionally, the assumptions made in the sample solution are necessary for solving the problem. The values for Vdspd and Vdspu are assumptions for the drain-source voltage of the p-type and n-type MOSFETs, respectively. These values will be verified after the calculations are done. The values for Vdsatpd and Vdsatpu are also assumptions for the saturation voltage of the p-type and n-type MOSFETs, respectively. These values will also be verified after the calculations are done.

I hope this helps clarify the assumptions made in the sample solution. Good luck with your studies and your exam!

What is a semiconductor voltage output?

A semiconductor voltage output is a type of electrical signal that is generated by a semiconductor device, such as a diode or transistor. It is a form of analog output that varies in voltage depending on the input signal or other factors.

How does a semiconductor voltage output work?

A semiconductor voltage output works by utilizing the properties of a semiconductor material, which can conduct or block the flow of electricity depending on its doping levels and other factors. By controlling these properties, the device can alter the voltage of the output signal.

What are some common applications of a semiconductor voltage output?

Semiconductor voltage outputs have a wide range of applications, including in electronic devices such as computers, sensors, and amplifiers. They are also commonly used in power supplies, communication systems, and control circuits.

What are the advantages of a semiconductor voltage output?

One of the main advantages of a semiconductor voltage output is its ability to convert signals quickly and with high precision. They are also relatively small in size and can operate in a wide range of temperatures, making them ideal for use in various electronic devices and systems.

What are the limitations of a semiconductor voltage output?

One limitation of a semiconductor voltage output is its susceptibility to noise and interference, which can affect the accuracy of the output signal. They also have a limited range of output voltage and may require external components to adjust the output level.