Semisimple rings with a unique maximal ideals

In summary, a semisimple ring is a ring that can be decomposed into a direct sum of simple rings, meaning it has no non-trivial two-sided ideals. A semisimple ring with a unique maximal ideal means that there is only one maximal ideal in the ring, implying that the ring is simple. This is different from a simple ring, which has no non-trivial two-sided ideals but can have multiple maximal ideals. Examples of semisimple rings with a unique maximal ideal include the field of real numbers, the field of complex numbers, and the ring of quaternions, as well as any division ring.
mahler1

Homework Statement

Determine all semisimple rings with a unique maximal ideal.

The Attempt at a Solution

If I call ##I## to the unique maximal ideal of ##R##, then ##I## can be seen as a simple ##R##-submodule, by hypothesis, there exists ##I' \subset R##, ##R-##submodule such that ##R=I \bigoplus I'##. I got stuck at this point, any suggestions would be appreciated.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

1. What is a semisimple ring?

A semisimple ring is a ring that can be decomposed into a direct sum of simple rings, meaning that it has no non-trivial two-sided ideals. This property is analogous to a semisimple group, which is a group without non-trivial normal subgroups.

2. What does it mean for a semisimple ring to have a unique maximal ideal?

A maximal ideal is an ideal that is not properly contained in any other ideal. A semisimple ring with a unique maximal ideal means that there is only one maximal ideal in the ring. This is significant because it implies that the ring is simple, and therefore has no non-trivial two-sided ideals.

3. How is a semisimple ring with a unique maximal ideal different from a simple ring?

A simple ring has no non-trivial two-sided ideals, while a semisimple ring with a unique maximal ideal has only one maximal ideal. This means that while both rings are simple, the latter has a unique maximal ideal that is not present in the former.

4. Can a semisimple ring have more than one maximal ideal?

Yes, a semisimple ring can have more than one maximal ideal. However, a semisimple ring with a unique maximal ideal is a special case where there is only one maximal ideal in the ring.

5. What are some examples of semisimple rings with a unique maximal ideal?

Some examples of semisimple rings with a unique maximal ideal include the field of real numbers, the field of complex numbers, and the ring of quaternions. In general, any division ring (a ring where every non-zero element has a multiplicative inverse) is a semisimple ring with a unique maximal ideal.