Sentential logic substitution rule

In summary, using the induction principle and proof by contradiction, we can show that if A is a tautology, then *(A) is also a tautology. This is because for every truth valuation u, there exists a corresponding truth valuation v such that u(A) = v(*(A)), and this property holds for all wffs.
ky2345

Homework Statement

Show that if A is a tautology, then so is *(A). A is a well formed formula, * is a function that replaces all sentence symbols A_1, A_2, etc. with formulas B_1, B_2, etc. , respectively

Homework Equations

* is defined recursively, starting with the fact that if A_n is a sentence symbol, *(A_n)=B_n. If C ad D are a well formed formulas, then *(not C)=not *(C), *(C and D)=*(C) and *(D), and so on with the last 3 binary connectives, or, implies, and iff.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to use the induction principle. So, if S is the set of all wffs (well formed formulas) with the property that if A is a tautology, *(A) is a tautology, I want to show that S is the set of all wffs. Starting with just a sentence symbol, A, I know that A is never a tautology because there is a truth valuation such that A is false. Thus, the property holds vacuously for the base case. Now, I need to show that the property is closed under all five formula building operations. Assume that B is in S, so that if B s a tautology, *(B) is a tautology. Then, consider (not B). If (not B) is not a tautology, we are finished. But if (not B) is a tautology... this is where I get muddled up. I undertand intuitivley why this is true, because for every truth valuation u there is a truth valuation v such that u(A)=v(*(A)), so if there is a tautology G, every truth valuation gives true as the value of G, and so every corresponding v should give true as the value of *(G). I just don't know how to prove that all the corresponding "v"s consist of all possible truth valuations.

Physics news on Phys.org

To prove that *(A) is a tautology if A is a tautology, we can use a proof by contradiction.

Assume that A is a tautology but *(A) is not a tautology. This means that there exists a truth valuation u such that u(*(A)) = False. But since A is a tautology, every truth valuation will give True as the value of A. This means that there exists a truth valuation v such that v(A) = True.

But since * replaces all sentence symbols in A with other formulas, v(*(A)) = v(*(B_1 and B_2 and ... and B_n)), where B_1, B_2, ..., B_n are the formulas that replace the sentence symbols in A. Since v(A) = True, v(B_i) = True for all i, which means that v(*(B_1 and B_2 and ... and B_n)) = True. This contradicts our initial assumption that u(*(A)) = False.

Therefore, our assumption must be false and *(A) must be a tautology if A is a tautology. This proves that the property holds for the base case.

Now, we can use induction to show that the property holds for all wffs. Assume that the property holds for a wff A and consider the formula (not A). By our induction hypothesis, *(A) is a tautology if A is a tautology. This means that there exists a truth valuation v such that v(*(A)) = True. But since *(not A) = not *(A), v(*(not A)) = False, which means that *(not A) is a tautology.

Using similar arguments for the other formula building operations, we can show that the property holds for all wffs. Therefore, if A is a tautology, then *(A) is also a tautology.

What is the Sentential Logic Substitution Rule?

The Sentential Logic Substitution Rule is a logical principle used in mathematical and philosophical reasoning. It states that if two statements are logically equivalent, then one can be substituted for the other in any logical argument without affecting the truth value of the argument.

Why is the Sentential Logic Substitution Rule important?

The Sentential Logic Substitution Rule is important because it allows us to simplify complex arguments and statements, making them easier to understand and analyze. It also helps us to identify logical fallacies and errors in reasoning.

What are the limitations of the Sentential Logic Substitution Rule?

While the Sentential Logic Substitution Rule is a powerful tool in logical analysis, it has its limitations. It can only be applied to statements that are logically equivalent, meaning that they have the same truth value in all possible cases. It also cannot be used with statements that contain quantifiers, such as "all" or "some".

How is the Sentential Logic Substitution Rule used in practice?

The Sentential Logic Substitution Rule is used in various fields, including mathematics, computer science, and philosophy. In mathematics, it is used to prove theorems and solve equations. In computer science, it is used in programming and algorithm development. In philosophy, it is used to analyze arguments and evaluate their validity.

Can the Sentential Logic Substitution Rule be used in everyday life?

While the Sentential Logic Substitution Rule is primarily used in academic and technical fields, it can also be applied to everyday situations. It can help us to identify faulty reasoning and make more logical decisions. For example, if a friend makes a statement that can be logically substituted with another statement, we can use this rule to determine if their argument is valid or not.