Separation of variables: Context of decelerating charged particle

In summary, the conversation discusses an attempt to rewrite acceleration in terms of dv/dt and integrating by separating variables, but it did not work. The speaker then realizes that their gamma factor is also a function of v and considers using integration by parts, but finds it too complicated. They receive help and successfully solve the problem by multiplying -m*gamma^3/alpha*dv/dt by v.
CricK0es
Homework Statement
I have attached an image of my problem. I realise that I need to use separation of variables to go from my LHS to my RHS; however, I’m unable to derive my RHS
Relevant Equations
*Attached in photo*
Attempted rewriting acceleration, a, in terms of dv/dt and then separating variables to integrate. This didn’t work...

So then I remembered that my gamma factor is also a function of v (!), but then I think I would be required to play around with integration by parts, which seems overly complicated.

Any help would be appreciated as I’m sure it’s straightforward but I’m really missing something here! Thank you

Attachments

• 1409C977-A824-4B95-ABAC-0A4A5362BF42.jpeg
    1409C977-A824-4B95-ABAC-0A4A5362BF42.jpeg
    40.1 KB · Views: 207
Physics news on Phys.org
The dependent variable is [itex]v^2[/itex]. (That is the only context in which [itex]\dots\,dt = \dots\,dv^2[/itex] makes sense.) Therefore try multiplying [tex]
-\frac{m\gamma^3}{\alpha} \frac{dv}{dt} = v[/tex] by [itex]v[/itex].

That’s perfect! I’ve never come across something where I’ve had to do it in that manner which is strange... But that makes a lot of sense. Thank you very much! I’ll post what I’ve done just to make sure I’ve got the right idea

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 196

1. What is the context of decelerating charged particles in separation of variables?

The context of decelerating charged particles in separation of variables is a mathematical technique used to solve differential equations that describe the motion of charged particles in an electric or magnetic field. This technique involves separating the variables in the equation and finding a solution for each variable separately.

2. How is separation of variables used to study the motion of decelerating charged particles?

Separation of variables is used to study the motion of decelerating charged particles by breaking down the complex equation into simpler equations that can be solved individually. This allows for a more manageable and accurate analysis of the particle's motion.

3. What are the key assumptions made in separation of variables for decelerating charged particles?

The key assumptions made in separation of variables for decelerating charged particles include a constant electric or magnetic field, no external forces acting on the particle, and a single charged particle in the system. These assumptions help simplify the equations and make the separation of variables technique applicable.

4. What are the limitations of using separation of variables for decelerating charged particles?

Some limitations of using separation of variables for decelerating charged particles include the need for certain assumptions to be made, such as a constant field, which may not always be accurate in real-world situations. Additionally, this technique may not be suitable for more complex systems with multiple particles or non-uniform fields.

5. How can separation of variables be applied to practical situations involving decelerating charged particles?

Separation of variables can be applied to practical situations involving decelerating charged particles by providing a mathematical model for predicting the motion of these particles in various electric or magnetic fields. This can be useful in fields such as particle physics, plasma physics, and astrophysics, where the behavior of charged particles is of interest.