Series Comparison Test for Divergence: sin(1/n) vs 1/(1+n)

In summary, the author is trying to find a way to compare test equations and suggests that the inequality ##\left(\frac{1}{1+n}\right)<sin\left(\frac{1}{n}\right)## holds for all sufficiently large values of ##n##. They also suggest that you can prove the same thing using different convergence tests.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

##\sum _{n=0}^{\infty }\:\sin \left(\frac{1}{n}\right)##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Can I try comparison test by
##\left(\frac{1}{1+n}\right)<sin\left(\frac{1}{n}\right)##

since ##\left(\frac{1}{1+n}\right)## diverges also ##sin\left(\frac{1}{n}\right)## diverges ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:

Homework Statement

##\sum _{n=0}^{\infty }\:\sin \left(\frac{1}{n}\right)##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Can I try comparison test by

since ##\left(\frac{1}{1+n}\right)## diverges also ##sin\left(\frac{1}{n}\right)## diverges ?

What do YOU think?

Ray Vickson said:
What do YOU think?
Its true

Arman777 said:
Its true

Right, and you should be able to explain why that is.

Ray Vickson said:
Right, and you should be able to explain why that is.
I already explained it ? Like how

Arman777 said:
I already explained it ?
No, you didn't explain it -- you just asserted the inequality with no explanation of why it must be true.
Arman777 said:

##\left(\frac{1}{1+n}\right)<sin\left(\frac{1}{n}\right)## well I am not sure...I put some numbers and tested.

I thought the number ##\frac{1}{n}## and its relationship with ##\sin \left(\frac{1}{n}\right)##

Then suddenly I thought ##\frac{1}{\:n+1}##

I don't know how to do an exact prove in this case.

Arman777 said:
##\left(\frac{1}{1+n}\right)<sin\left(\frac{1}{n}\right)## well I am not sure...I put some numbers and tested.

I thought the number ##\frac{1}{n}## and its relationship with ##\sin \left(\frac{1}{n}\right)##

I don't know how to do an exact prove in this case.

It actually does not matter for small values of ##n##. As long as you have ##\sin (1/n) > k/n## for all sufficiently large ##n## and for some positive constant ##k##, that is really all you need.

Anyway, that is not really what I was referring to. I was referring to your assertion that ##a_n > b_n > 0## and ##\sum b_n## divergent implies that ##\sum a_n## is also divergent.

Arman777 said:
Which is that ##\sin \frac 1n < \frac 1n##.

So you have ##\frac 1{n+1} < \frac 1n##.

You have two quantities that are less than ##1/n##. It's not clear that you can conclude that one is less than the other, i.e., ##\frac 1{n+1} < \sin \frac 1n.##

I put some numbers and tested.
This can suggest that perhaps you're on the right track, but as you know, you need to show it for the general case. But it could also be that you're doing things the hard way. Perhaps a different convergence test would work here. You need to experiment with different ideas to learn what works and what doesn't and to develop your intuition in solving these problems.

Yeah I know it was a long shot..theres also limit test which works but It doesn't come to my mind

1. What is a Series Comparison Test?

A Series Comparison Test is a method used in mathematics and science to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. It involves comparing a given series to a known series with known convergence properties.

2. How does the Series Comparison Test work?

The Series Comparison Test works by comparing the given series to a known series with known convergence properties. If the known series converges, and the given series is smaller than the known series, then the given series also converges. If the known series diverges, and the given series is larger than the known series, then the given series also diverges.

3. What is the difference between the series comparison test and the integral test?

The series comparison test and the integral test are both methods used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. However, the series comparison test involves comparing a given series to a known series, while the integral test involves comparing a given series to a known integral.

4. Is the Series Comparison Test always accurate?

No, the Series Comparison Test is not always accurate. It can only determine the convergence or divergence of a series based on the comparison to a known series. If there is no known series to compare to, then the Series Comparison Test cannot be used.

5. When should the Series Comparison Test be used?

The Series Comparison Test should be used when trying to determine the convergence or divergence of a series with unknown properties. It is also useful when trying to compare the convergence or divergence of multiple series to each other.