Series Convergence: An=Ʃ(k)/[(n^2)+k] - Find Value

In summary, the given series converges, but its exact value cannot be calculated using elementary methods. It can be approximated using the Psi function, but this is not necessary for determining its convergence. Instead, comparison series can be used to determine the convergence of the series.
oneomega

Homework Statement

An=Ʃ(k)/[(n^2)+k]
the sum is k=0 to n, the question is, to which value does the this series converge to

Homework Equations

i know for sure that this series converges, but could not figure out the value to whch it converges

The Attempt at a Solution

i did the convergence test, mod(An+1/An).. the value is 1. what i do now?

Physics news on Phys.org
oneomega said:

Homework Statement

An=Ʃ(k)/[(n^2)+k]
the sum is k=0 to n, the question is, to which value does the this series converge to

Homework Equations

i know for sure that this series converges, but could not figure out the value to whch it converges

You want to use the squeeze theorem. Try and bracket that sum between two sums whose limit you can evaluate and whose limit turn out to be the same. Here's a hint. The k in the denominator is what's making it hard to evaluate.

actaully i don't want to find the limit of the fn. i want the sum of the series.

oneomega said:
actaully i don't want to find the limit of the fn. i want the sum of the series.

'converges' means you take the limit of the sums ##A_n## as n->infinity. There's no simple closed form expression for the sum. There is a simple expression for the limit of the sum. This isn't really the same as the usual infinite sum problem. ##A_n## isn't the partial sum of some series. The upper limit n is in the expression for the terms you are summing.

Last edited:
oneomega said:

Homework Statement

An=Ʃ(k)/[(n^2)+k]

Homework Equations

Using the "test"
[tex] \left|A_n + \frac{1}{A_n} \right| [/tex]
(which is what you WROTE) will get you nowhere. Even the correct test ##A_{n+1}/A_n## (written as A_{n+1}/A_n or A_(n+1)/A_n) will still get you nowhere: your problem is NOT to decide on convergence of an infinite series.

The summation cannot be performed in elementary terms: Maple gets the answer
[tex] \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{k}{n^2+k} = n+1+n^2 \Psi(n^2)-n^2 \Psi(n^2+n+1)[/tex]
where ##\Psi(x)## is the so-called "Psi function" or "di-Gamma function", defined as the logarithmic derivative of the Gamma function ##\Gamma(x)##:
[tex] \Psi(x) \equiv \frac{d \ln(\Gamma(x))}{dx} = \frac{\Gamma\, ^{\prime} (x)}{\Gamma(x)}.[/tex]

Last edited:
@ray wickson,
could you tell me an answer for this.

oneomega said:
@ray wickson,
could you tell me an answer for this.

Nobody is going to 'tell you an answer', you have to work on it. You really don't need any nonelementary functions for this. Just think about comparison series.

Related to Series Convergence: An=Ʃ(k)/[(n^2)+k] - Find Value

1. What is the formula for "Series Convergence: An=Ʃ(k)/[(n^2)+k] - Find Value"?

The formula for the series convergence is An=Ʃ(k)/[(n^2)+k]. This means that for each term in the series, the numerator is k and the denominator is (n^2)+k.

2. How do you find the value of the series convergence?

To find the value of the series convergence, you need to plug in the values of k and n and then add up all the terms in the series. This will give you the final value of the series.

3. What is the significance of the series convergence formula?

The series convergence formula is used to determine whether a series is convergent or divergent. A convergent series has a finite value while a divergent series has an infinite value.

4. Can you provide an example of using the series convergence formula?

For example, if we have the series An=Ʃ(k)/[(n^2)+k] and we want to find the value when n=3, we would have A3=Ʃ(k)/[(3^2)+k]. We would then plug in values for k (1, 2, 3, etc.) and add up all the terms to get the final value of the series.

5. How is series convergence used in real life?

Series convergence is used in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering to solve problems related to sequences and series. It is also used in financial modeling and analysis to calculate the present value of future cash flows.