Set Operations: C U U' - Solving with a Simple Subset of the Universal Set

• Thread starter hikki_pop
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of a universal set and its complement, as well as the union of a subset with its complement. It is determined that the complement of the universal set is the empty set, and the union of a subset with the empty set is the subset itself. It is also clarified that a subset cannot be a subset of its complement.
hikki_pop
some help on sets!

can anyone tell me the answer to this??

if
U (universal set) = {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14}
C (just a simple subset of the universal set U)= {1,2,3,4,5}

then what would be the answer if:

C U U' ? (subset C union universal set complement)

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
That's easy: the "Universal set" is the set of everything (that we are using in sets) and the "complement" (of A) is "all that are not in A". Since everything is in the Universal set, its complement is the empty set.

Now: what is C union the empty set?

i think it would be... C U U'={1,2,3,4,5}, right? but... if the set of c is the subset of the universal set, wouldn't that mean that it's also part of the universal set complement??

No, it definitely would not. If A is a subset of B (for any set B, not just U), then A has no elements in common with B'. You can see why this is true using a few examples. Also, when you learn to use Venn Diagrams, you'll understand this better.

EDIT : Didn't realize this could be misinterpreted until it was pointed out. Yes, the opening sentence refers to A being a subset of U'.

Last edited:
hikki_pop said:
i think it would be... C U U'={1,2,3,4,5}, right? but... if the set of c is the subset of the universal set, wouldn't that mean that it's also part of the universal set complement??

Yes, C U U'= C. But the fact that c is a subset of the universal set specifically means it is NOT a subset of the complement. As I said before the complement of the universal set is the empty set. Gokul43201's "No, it definitely would not" was in reference to that.

Related to Set Operations: C U U' - Solving with a Simple Subset of the Universal Set

1. What does "C U U" mean?

"C U U" is a shortened version of the phrase "see you soon". It is commonly used in informal communication as a way to say goodbye.

2. How do I solve "C U U' - Solve Here!"?

"C U U' - Solve Here!" is not a problem or puzzle that can be solved. It is simply a phrase that indicates the speaker is leaving and will see the listener at a later time.

3. Is "C U U" a proper way to say goodbye?

"C U U" is a casual and informal way to say goodbye, and may not be appropriate in all situations. It is best used among friends or in informal settings.

4. Can I use "C U U" in professional or formal communication?

It is generally not recommended to use "C U U" in professional or formal communication. It is best to use more formal phrases such as "goodbye" or "take care".

5. Are there any other variations of "C U U"?

Yes, there are many variations of "C U U" including "C U later", "C U soon", and "C U around". These all convey a similar meaning of seeing the listener at a later time.