Sets and functions, theoretical calc homework?

In summary, the conversation discusses proving two statements involving subsets of a universal set U. The first statement is that if U is the union of A and B and the intersection of A and B is not empty, then A is equal to the complement of B in U. The second statement is that the complement of the intersection of B and C in A is equal to the union of the complements of B and C in A. The conversation also mentions having trouble proving these statements and seeking a step-by-step solution.
concon

Homework Statement

Let A,B, and C be subsets of universal set U. Prove the following
A. If U=A union B and intersection of A and B is not an empty set, then A= U\B
B. A\(B intersection C) = (A\B) union (A\C)

Homework Equations

no relevant equations required

The Attempt at a Solution

A.
So I know A union B = {x: (xεA) or (xεB)}
But I am having trouble on where to go from there. Intuitively I can see that the claim is true, but how do I prove this? step by step please

B.
I know that B intersection C= : {x: (xεB) and (xεC)}
A\B = {x: (xεA) and ~(xεB)}
A\C = {x: (xεA) and ~(xεC)}
Same problem as part a how do I prove this?

Physics news on Phys.org
concon said:

Homework Statement

Let A,B, and C be subsets of universal set U. Prove the following
A. If U=A union B and intersection of A and B is not an empty set, then A= U\B
B. A\(B intersection C) = (A\B) union (A\C)

Homework Equations

no relevant equations required

The Attempt at a Solution

A.
So I know A union B = {x: (xεA) or (xεB)}
But I am having trouble on where to go from there. Intuitively I can see that the claim is true, but how do I prove this? step by step please

B.
I know that B intersection C= : {x: (xεB) and (xεC)}
A\B = {x: (xεA) and ~(xεB)}
A\C = {x: (xεA) and ~(xεC)}
Same problem as part a how do I prove this?
Hello concon,

Welcome to PF !

We don't do step by step solutions here at PF, if that's what you're asking for.

It looks to me that A is not true.

In general, to show that two sets are equal, i.e. D = E, show that D is a subset of E and E is a subset of D.
To show that set D is a subset of E:
Let xεD. Then show that it follows that xεE .
etc.

1. What are sets and functions in theoretical calculus?

Sets are collections of distinct objects, while functions are mathematical relationships between inputs and outputs. In theoretical calculus, sets are used to define the domain and range of a function, and functions are used to model and analyze mathematical concepts.

2. How are sets and functions related in theoretical calculus?

Sets and functions are closely related in theoretical calculus. Functions are typically defined on sets, and the properties of sets often influence the behavior of functions. Additionally, sets can be used to represent the domain and range of a function.

3. What is the difference between a set and a function?

A set is a collection of objects, while a function is a mathematical relationship between inputs and outputs. Sets do not have any specific structure, while functions have specific rules and properties that govern their behavior.

4. How are sets and functions commonly used in real-world applications?

Sets and functions are used in a wide range of real-world applications, from modeling economic systems to analyzing weather patterns. For example, sets can be used to define the possible outcomes of a statistical experiment, while functions can be used to model the growth of a population over time.

5. What are some common operations on sets and functions in theoretical calculus?

In theoretical calculus, some common operations on sets include union, intersection, and complement. For functions, common operations include composition, inversion, and differentiation. These operations allow for the manipulation and analysis of sets and functions to solve complex mathematical problems.