Shaft Shear Stress with strange shape

In summary, The conversation discusses a problem involving calculating the area of a cross-section for a mechanics textbook. The initial approximation method suggested is based on the centerline of the cross-section and involves some small errors. A more accurate method is demonstrated using semicircular portions and rectangular shapes. The accuracy of the rough approximation method is debated and the importance of working out the exact area is emphasized. The conversation ultimately concludes that the rough approximation method may be acceptable in an engineering context, but not in physics. One participant suggests that the attempt at the problem may be marked wrong due to its lack of accuracy, and suggests a different method to achieve a more accurate result. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of accuracy in engineering calculations.
member 392791

Hello,

I am having difficulty solving for the Area and wondering if this is correct.

Attachments

• 3.144 attempt 1.pdf
    317.3 KB · Views: 212
  • 3.144.pdf
    21 KB · Views: 220
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you applying some rough-and-ready "near enough is good enough" approximation involving the centreline of the cross-section?

Why don't you work it out more exactly? It doesn't seem all that difficult. (I'm finding trying to follow your rough approximation procedure to be more difficult.)

Each semicircular portion is the area of one circle minus the area of the smaller one, then halved. The rest is a handful of rectangular shapes.

mathematicians can point out a tiny error, but you are in an engineering subforum and here it won't be noticed http://physicsforums.bernhardtmediall.netdna-cdn.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The area enclosed by the midline can be calculated by taking the average of the outer and inner cross sectional areas.

Okay, how about now? The radius of the circles is the same for both parts, since you move over 0.2 inches, but the thickness of that part is 0.2 inches, so they negate each other

Attachments

• 3.144 attempt 2.pdf
    233.1 KB · Views: 237
Looks good.

Woopydalan said:
The radius of the circles is the same for both parts
No it isn't. Nor are they both semicircles.

But if you are just doing this roughly it may be okay to make that rough approximation. (This being engineering, not physics.)

Even physics doesn't operate with infinite precision.

As a check, I drafted the cross section in CAD and calculated the area to the outer edge and the area to the inner edge.

The CAD program got: Aouter = 22.9314 in^2; Ainner = 15.2777 in^2

Amidline = (22.9314+15.2777)/2 = 19.1046 in^2

Hand calculations: Aouter = 22.931 in^2; Ainner = 15.931 in^2; Amidline = 19.431 in^2

The problem is good to only 2 sig. figs. (The max. all. stress = 12 ksi)

%error in Amidline = (19.431 - 19.105)/19.105 = +1.7%

which is pretty good for a 5 minute calculation.

Unless you also work it out accurately, you can't know how good your rough method will approximate it. That's why I suggested that it be done just the once and accurately. (I won't say exactly, because I can see it would be difficult to work it out exactly.)

It is too easy for a rough approximation method to conceal small mistakes in principle.

Likes 1 person
I don't know what your standards are for 'rough approximation', but I think I have demonstrated the accuracy of the calculation.

This is only an approximate method for determining shear stress due to torsion anyway. There are several assumptions made to obtain the Bredt formula which are probably worth more than 1% or 2% of the stress values obtained. The big sign in the problem statement says 'neglecting the effect of stress concentrations'.

NascentOxygen said:
Why don't you work it out more exactly? It doesn't seem all that difficult.
Agreed. It is relatively easy to quickly compute almost the exact area enclosed by the midline. E.g., 5.5*4.8 - 2(0.5*pi*1.6^2) + 2[0.1(2*1.6)] = 18.9975. Since the exact area is 18.9971, the error in this quick calculation is +0.0021 %. Close enough. There is no need to start out with a +2.3 % error, just to compute this area.

Woopydalan said:
The radius of the circles is the same for both parts
NascentOxygen said:
No it isn't. Nor are they both semicircles.
Agreed.

Last edited:
Who knew I could stir up so much controversy with this problem...does that mean my attempt #2 is wrong?

Woopydalan said:
Who knew I could stir up so much controversy with this problem...does that mean my attempt #2 is wrong?
Not completely wrong, no. But basing inner area calculations on a radius of 1.5" when the radius is actually 1.7" is, for starters, going to put some marks in jeopardy.

unless your professor has given a clever justification for doing so, but which you have not alluded to.

Woopydalan said:
Does that mean my attempt #2 is wrong?
Woopydalan: There is a chance your answer could be marked wrong, because its accuracy is less than +/-0.2 %.

First, in most of these mechanics textbooks, when a given question provides values such as 15 N, then unless otherwise stated, they expect you to assume the given values are accurate. E.g., 15 N should be read as 15.00 N. Similarly, 1 mm should be read as 1.000 mm, not 1 mm +/-0.5 mm.

Secondly, most of the mechanics textbooks are expecting students to provide final answers accurate to +/-0.2 %. The way to do this is explained in item 1 in post 4551418.

Your attempt 2 is accurate to 2.1 %, which is 10.5 times less accuracy than is typically required to match the answer in the back of the book, or to match the answer in the lecturer's solution manual.

Last edited:

Related to Shaft Shear Stress with strange shape

1. What is shaft shear stress?

Shaft shear stress is the force per unit area that acts on a shaft when it is subjected to a shear load. It is a measurement of the internal resistance of a material to shearing forces.

2. How is shaft shear stress calculated?

Shaft shear stress is calculated by dividing the shear force acting on a shaft by the cross-sectional area of the shaft. It is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (Pa).

3. What does it mean for a shaft shear stress to have a "strange shape"?

A "strange shape" in the context of shaft shear stress refers to a non-circular or irregular shape of the shaft. This can occur due to changes in diameter, grooves, or other features along the length of the shaft.

4. How does a strange shape affect shaft shear stress?

A strange shape can affect shaft shear stress by creating areas of higher or lower stress concentration. This can lead to uneven distribution of forces and potentially weaken the shaft, making it more susceptible to failure.

5. How can shaft shear stress with a strange shape be minimized?

To minimize shaft shear stress with a strange shape, engineers can use various design techniques such as optimizing the shape and size of the shaft, adding fillets or chamfers to smooth out edges, or using materials with higher shear strength. Finite element analysis can also be performed to identify areas of high stress and make design modifications accordingly.