Shear stress calculation question

In summary, the equation for calculating the area of a link in tension is A= π r2, and for calculating the area of a link in compression, A= tot - Area of pin.
tsukuba

Homework Statement

I've been working on this question for a while but can't get anywhere.
I was able to calculate Force BD and Force CE
Now I am not sure how they calculated the area of section BD
the math isn't making much sense to me
link.jpg

Homework Equations

σ = P / A
A= π r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing A= pi x r2 but I don't get the value of 160 x 10-3 mm2

Physics news on Phys.org
The link is not the pin, for which you calculated the area. The link is one of the 4 vertical pieces attaching the bar ABC to the web of the inverted T section under it. The dimensions of each link are 36 mm x 8 mm, according to the problem statement, and there are four links: two attached at point B and two attached at point C. Remember, the 16mm dia. hole for the pin can't be included in the net area of the link.

The solution is quite explicit about describing the area. See the line which states, "Net area of one link for tension = ..."

I am so confused with the math though. It taking the width of the link and multiplying it by the difference of the length and the diameter.
I would think it as 0.008 x 0.036 - 0.016

tsukuba said:
I am so confused with the math though. It taking the width of the link and multiplying it by the difference of the length and the diameter.
I would think it as 0.008 x 0.036 - 0.016

If you draw a sketch of the cross section of the link, and then draw a hole punched thru the link, it should be clear why you calculate the net area of the link in this manner.

It also helps to carry units. Your calculation is A = 0.008 m x 0.036 m - 0.016 m, which when simplified is A = 0.000288 m2 - 0.016 m, which makes no sense. You can't subtract meters from square meters and obtain anything meaningful.

This is why parentheses are used in the solution: A = 0.008 * (0.036 - 0.016); you do the subtraction inside the parentheses before you multiply by the thickness of the link.

Last edited:
how come for the second part they just do 8mmx 36mm and don't subtract the 16mm

tsukuba said:
how come for the second part they just do 8mmx 36mm and don't subtract the 16mm

When the link is in tension, the pins are trying to pull out of the ends of each link, so you use the area of the link less the area of the pin in order to calculate the tensile stress.

When the link is in compression, the pins are bearing on the central portion of each link, so you use the total area of the link without subtracting the area of the pin.

Once again, Thank you very much!
you are of great help

Related to Shear stress calculation question

What is shear stress?

Shear stress is a type of stress that occurs when two forces act parallel to each other but in opposite directions, causing one part of an object to slide past another part.

How is shear stress calculated?

Shear stress is calculated by dividing the force acting on the object by the area over which the force is applied. It is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (N/m^2).

What factors affect shear stress?

The magnitude of shear stress is affected by the amount of force applied, the length of the object, and the area over which the force is distributed. Additionally, the type of material and its properties, such as viscosity, can also affect shear stress.

What are some real-world applications of shear stress calculation?

Shear stress calculation is important in many engineering fields, including civil engineering, mechanical engineering, and materials science. It is used to design and analyze structures such as bridges, buildings, and dams, as well as to understand the behavior of fluids and other materials under stress.

What are some common formulas for shear stress calculation?

One common formula for calculating shear stress is the shear stress equation, which is force divided by area. Other formulas may be used depending on the specific application, such as the shear stress in a beam or the shear stress in a fluid flow.