SHM - Ultrasonic Transducers

In summary, the problem deals with an ultrasonic transducer that is driven back and forth in simple harmonic motion at a frequency of 0.8 MHz by an electromagnetic coil. The maximum restoring force that can be applied without breaking the transducer is 34,000 N. To determine the maximum oscillation amplitude that won't rupture the transducer, we can equate the maximum kinetic energy of the system to the restoring force, which results in an amplitude of 4.384e-3m. However, this may not be the correct interpretation of the problem. Another approach is to use the equation for SHM, x = Acos(wt), and compute the maximum acceleration to determine the amplitude. Further clarification or information may be
wayveon

Homework Statement

An ultrasonic transducer, of the type used in medical ultrasound imaging, is a very thin disk (m = 0.14 g) driven back and forth in SHM at 0.8 MHz by an electromagnetic coil.

(a) The maximum restoring force that can be applied to the disk without breaking it is 34,000 N. What is the maximum oscillation amplitude that won't rupture the disk? (in micrometers)

(b) What is the disk's maximum speed at this amplitude? (in m/s)

Homework Equations

Kinetic Energy - (1/2)(m)(v^2)
Vmax = (2pi)(f)(A)

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't sure whether I should be interpreting this as as spring or not, since we haven't gotten to magnets yet. So i just though, simple harmonic system have constant total energy curves, and interpreted the maximum kinetic energy of the system as being equivalent of the restoring force.

KE = (1/2)(m)(Vmax^2)

34000N = (1/2)(0.00014kg)[[2pi(0.8E6 Hz)(A)]^2]

A = sqrt( [(34000*2)/0.00014kg] / [[2pi(0.8E6 Hz)]^2] ) = 4.384e-3m, which isn't right for a. Oddly, I can see that if i don't do the square root and instead just divide the resulting quantity by two, I get the correct answer. Makes me suspect that the original solution was programmed wrong, simply slip of a ^ to a *, but I doubt myself.
Where am I going wrong with interpreting this problem? I've looked at other solutions, e.g. this one, but I haven't seen some of the other equations before frankly.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
wayveon said:
So i just though, simple harmonic system have constant total energy curves, and interpreted the maximum kinetic energy of the system as being equivalent of the restoring force.

This makes no sense to me, equating k.e. to restoring force. Instead:

SHM is x = Acos(wt), right?
So compute d2x/dt2 which reveals max. acceleration. Then, Fmax = m*amax which will give you A.

1. What is SHM?

SHM stands for "Simple Harmonic Motion". It is a type of motion where an object oscillates back and forth along a straight line, with its acceleration proportional to its displacement and always directed towards the center point of the motion.

2. What are Ultrasonic Transducers?

Ultrasonic transducers are devices that convert electrical energy into high-frequency sound waves and vice versa. They are used in various applications such as medical imaging, non-destructive testing, and distance sensing.

3. How do Ultrasonic Transducers work?

Ultrasonic transducers work by using a piezoelectric material, such as quartz or ceramics, to convert electrical energy into mechanical vibrations. These vibrations create sound waves in the ultrasonic frequency range, which can be used for various purposes.

4. What are the different types of Ultrasonic Transducers?

There are mainly two types of ultrasonic transducers: piezoelectric transducers and magnetostrictive transducers. Piezoelectric transducers use the piezoelectric effect to generate sound waves, while magnetostrictive transducers use the magnetostrictive effect.

5. What are the applications of SHM - Ultrasonic Transducers?

SHM - Ultrasonic Transducers have a wide range of applications, including medical imaging, industrial process control, distance sensing, and non-destructive testing. They are also used in cleaning and welding processes, as well as in underwater communication and navigation systems.