Should I read University Physics by Freeman & Young right no

In summary, the most important factor in preparing for college-level physics is having a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry. It is recommended to focus on strengthening these skills before starting either Calculus by Stewart or University physics. If confident in these skills, it is suggested to begin with calculus to avoid the added stress of learning limits and derivatives while applying them in physics. However, it is not advisable to rush through the material in two months, as taking the time to fully understand the concepts will be more beneficial in the long run.
Phys12
I just graduated from high school and will begin university physics classes in 2 months. Even though I got decent grades, I feel as though there are still some gaps in my knowledge.

I have Calculus by Stewart and University physics. Which one should I start reading and hope to complete in 2 months and get adequate background for college-level physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
From my experience in college level calculus and physics, the most common struggle students have is not with either subjects but with their algebra and trig. I would spend a significant time ensuring those skills are up to par. As a grader, it was a bit sad how often students would apply the concepts correctly but forget how to factor a trinomial or use the correct trig identity at the pivotal moment.

If you're confident in your algebra and trig skills, I would go for calculus first. Simply so you won't have to be learning about limits and derivatives at the same time you're applying them in physics. I would also forget the idea of "completing" either of those books in 2 books. Slow and thoughtful understanding will serve you better than a quick and pseudo understanding.

1. Should I wait until I am in college to read University Physics by Freeman & Young?

No, you do not have to wait until you are in college to read University Physics by Freeman & Young. The book can be used as a supplement to high school physics courses or as an introduction to physics for self-study.

2. Is University Physics by Freeman & Young suitable for beginners?

Yes, University Physics by Freeman & Young is suitable for beginners. The book is designed to provide a comprehensive understanding of physics concepts for students with little to no prior knowledge.

3. Do I need to have a strong math background to understand University Physics by Freeman & Young?

Yes, a strong math background is essential to understanding University Physics by Freeman & Young. The book uses mathematical equations and formulas to explain physics concepts, so a solid understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and calculus is necessary.

4. Can I use University Physics by Freeman & Young as a reference book?

Yes, University Physics by Freeman & Young can be used as a reference book. The book is organized in a way that makes it easy to find specific information and equations, making it a useful resource for students and professionals alike.

5. Is University Physics by Freeman & Young suitable for all branches of physics?

Yes, University Physics by Freeman & Young covers a wide range of topics and is suitable for all branches of physics. The book covers classical mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and modern physics, making it a comprehensive resource for anyone studying physics.