Should I Retake Physics I at University?

In summary, the speaker is a senior at a university and is considering retaking General Physics I, which they took at a community college, at the university level. They received a B in the class and feel they learned the material, but are unsure if there would be an advantage to retaking it. They also ask if they should move on to Physics II or retake Physics I, and if Physics II is harder. The advice given is to only retake the class if the material was not learned well or if switching from algebra-based to calculus-based is necessary. It is suggested to look at the university's Physics I class, view the assignments and exams, and solve them to determine if retaking is necessary. The difficulty of Physics II
sheldonrocks97
Gold Member
I am a senior going to a university in the Fall and I was wondering if I should retake General Physics I, which I took at community college, at a university rather than moving on to General Physics II. I got a B in Physics I, so I did alright considering tests were 70% of our grade and Quizzes were 20%. I feel like I learned the material, but would there be an advantage to retaking it at university?

Should I move on to Physics II or Take Physics I again? Also, Is Physics II harder than Physics I?

Physics news on Phys.org
The only time I would recommend retaking a class is if you feel you did not learn the material well, or if the class you took was algebra-based and you need to switch to the calculus-based series.

Can't say if Physics II will be harder than Physics I for you - what's hard for one person can be easy for another.

Take a look at the Physics I class at your university. See if you can find the homework assignments, quizzes and exams (ask the professor if necessary). Try to solve them, especially the final homeworks and exams. If you're comfortable doing this, then don't retake the class.

1. Should I retake Physics I if I didn't do well in high school?

It depends on your goals and the requirements of your university. If you are pursuing a science or engineering degree, it may be beneficial to retake the course to strengthen your understanding and improve your overall GPA. However, if you are not planning on majoring in a related field, it may not be necessary to retake the course.

2. Will retaking Physics I affect my GPA?

Yes, if you retake the course and earn a higher grade, it will replace the previous grade in your GPA calculation. However, if you retake the course and earn a lower grade, both grades will be factored into your GPA, which may lower it.

3. Can I retake Physics I if I passed the course?

Most universities allow students to retake courses even if they have passed them. However, it is important to check with your university's policies and make sure you are not violating any academic rules.

4. Will retaking Physics I be beneficial for my future studies?

Retaking Physics I can be beneficial if you are planning on majoring in a science or engineering field. It can also be helpful if you struggled with the course and want to improve your understanding for future courses. However, if you are not planning on pursuing a related field, it may not make a significant impact.

5. Can I retake Physics I at a different university?

It is possible to retake Physics I at a different university, but you should check with your current university first. Some universities have restrictions on retaking courses at other institutions, and the credits may not transfer back to your current university.