Should I study Physics and Computer Science as a double major?

In summary: By doing this, you would build up your programming skills while also learning the principles of physics. Additionally, if you pursue a PhD in physics, computer science would be a valuable skill to have, as many physics PhDs go on to work as software engineers.
matthew1
I'm starting university really soon and my course is BSc Honours Physics and Computer Science (http://www.qub.ie/home/StudyatQueens/CourseFinder/UCF2014-15/Physics/GF43/ ).
I'm able to switch to a single major in either of these subjects and I've been thinking it would be better for me to do that instead of doing the two and not missing half the modules in each subject.

But I cannot decide which of these to do :( I'm fascinated by Physics and that is the core reason of why I want to study it. I'm excited to study Computer Science and I know it pays really well (I've read some of the highest paying jobs are in Comp. Sci).

The MS for either of these subjects alone is a four year extended degree, just an extra year after the BSc. But I'm not sure if I'd be allowed to study for one in either subject because I may not have covered enough material in that subject in the previous three years. I really hope I'm making sense, I know this is an American site, but I'm from Ireland so things may be a bit different..

I've come here to get some advice on which subject I should take, because I'm torn between them. Or would you advise I just stick with the double major?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I majored in Physics and Engineering, but took a handful of programming classes. Coming into the workforce, I knew Verilog, Java, Assembly, C++, javascript, and HTML, and it was enough to allow me to do some work on basically any project at my workplace as a computer programmer, with the occasional need to learn something new. I like the pay and the ability to work when I want, where I want, as a Programmer, but I have been doing work lately that requires very little Math and no Physics, and it's been a bit of a let down. I am seriously looking at getting a PhD in Physics and doing a career shift. I will probably still program if I get the PhD, but the kind of projects I'd work on should be more interesting.

It's hard to know what will interest you more, but this is my experience. Good luck with the decision!

I would say, Yes, absolutely! Although I am influenced by one of my physics professors who believes everyone should double major in CS. A lot of physics research requires good coding skills, whether it is for data analysis or for computational work like simulations. Thus, CS is a very useful skill that is applied in physics. However, pursuing both Physics and CS at the same time will be rather difficult, so if you do this, you would have to pace yourself to prevent burnout.

Computer Science involves more than coding. In fact, actual coding is probably only a small part of a CS degree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_science

As a physicist, it would probably be more beneficial if you concentrated on studying numerical analysis and took classes where you were expected to write actual code to solve problems.

I would advise you to carefully consider your interests and career goals before making a decision on whether to pursue a double major in Physics and Computer Science. Both of these subjects require a significant amount of time and effort to excel in, and it is important to make sure that you have a genuine passion for both before committing to a double major.

If you are truly fascinated by Physics and have a strong desire to study it, then I would recommend sticking with the double major. Combining Physics and Computer Science can provide a unique and valuable skill set for future career opportunities, as many industries, such as technology and engineering, rely heavily on both of these fields.

However, if you find that your interest in Computer Science is primarily driven by the potential for higher-paying jobs, it may be worth considering switching to a single major in Physics. It is important to pursue a subject that you are genuinely passionate about, as this will lead to a more fulfilling and successful career in the long run.

Furthermore, I would recommend speaking with your academic advisor or professors in both departments to discuss your options and get a better understanding of the curriculum and potential career paths for each subject. They may also be able to provide insight into the requirements for pursuing a Master's degree in either subject.

Ultimately, the decision should be based on what you truly enjoy and where your strengths lie. It is important to remember that a degree is just one aspect of your education and career, and there are always opportunities to gain additional skills and knowledge through internships, research experiences, and continuing education. Good luck with your decision!

1. Why should I consider studying Physics and Computer Science as a double major?

Studying Physics and Computer Science as a double major can provide you with a unique and valuable skill set. Physics teaches problem-solving, critical thinking, and mathematical skills, while Computer Science teaches programming, data analysis, and problem-solving through technology. The combination of these two fields can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as research, data analysis, software development, and many more.

2. How do Physics and Computer Science complement each other?

Physics and Computer Science are highly complementary fields. Physics provides the fundamentals of how the physical world works and how to analyze complex systems, while Computer Science provides the tools and techniques to process, analyze, and model large amounts of data. The problem-solving skills learned in Physics can also be applied to programming and software development in Computer Science.

3. Will studying both majors require more time and effort?

Yes, pursuing a double major in Physics and Computer Science will require more time and effort than studying just one major. However, the knowledge and skills gained from both fields can greatly enhance your understanding and make you a more well-rounded and competitive candidate in the job market.

4. Are there any specific courses or prerequisites required for this double major?

The specific courses and prerequisites required for a double major in Physics and Computer Science may differ depending on the university or college. However, some common courses for this double major include calculus, physics principles, programming fundamentals, data structures, and algorithms. It is important to check with your university or college for their specific requirements.

5. What career opportunities are available with a double major in Physics and Computer Science?

A double major in Physics and Computer Science can open up a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as research, data science, software development, and engineering. Some specific job titles include data analyst, software engineer, research scientist, and computer systems analyst. The combination of skills and knowledge gained from both majors can make you a valuable asset in any field that requires problem-solving and data analysis.