Should I take AP physics C with my current Situation?

In summary, a high school student is pondering whether to take AP Physics C for their senior year, even though they will not be taking calculus. The student is concerned about the difficulty of the class and their lack of calculus knowledge. They have considered self-studying calculus over the summer, but are worried about learning incorrect concepts. Others have advised them to take AP Physics 1 and 2 first before attempting AP Physics C. The student is seeking advice on how to effectively self-study for the class without risking their ability to take the course. Some suggestions include watching MIT's open courseware video lectures for calculus and using a calculus textbook with solutions available online.
Moe777
Hi. I've been pondering on this decision lately. I'm a Junior in high school and have been accepted to take AP physics C for senior year starting with my fall semester next school year. I really want to pursue a physics/ engineer related major, but here's the thing. I'm aware that AP physics C is a calculus based class, however, I will not be taking calculus at all for my senior year. I have to take pre- calc next year and it's not my choice on whether I do or don't. I want to know If it would be a good idea to take this class, or if I should just drop it. I told the teacher of the class prior to handing in the AP science application that I will not be taking calculus next year and that I will be taking pre calc. What he told me is that he teaches all of the calculus that you need to know for the class. However, from some people who have taken (or are taking the class), and friends of those taking the class, I have been told that he just skims through the calculus part to the point that the calculus and even the calculus AB have a hard time in the class. This really intimidated me especially since I will enter the class with no basic understanding of calculus. The other thing is that I am taking standard/ regents physics (I live in New York) and will be skipping AP physics 1 and 2 straight to C. Should I go for the class, even though I have no basic understanding in calculus and am currently in standard physics (which I am doing pretty well in by the way). Is there any type of preparation that I can do for the class, such as studying from an AP physics C Barron's book over the summer. I will try to talk to the teacher tomorrow about the pace of the class and how I will be able to handle it, but I will also work with the answers that I hopefully receive from here. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I will also be studying for the SAT that I will take in October, November, and maybe December, so self studying calculus/ ap physics c will not be the only thing that I do.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should assume that your friends are right and he only skims it. That's all my professor did with it and what every professor I've ever investigated about this has done. If you can't take basic derivatives and integrals (of polynomials, trig functions, using the chain rule), and understand how to min/max a function you'll be behind in Mechanics. If you go on to C:E&M, you'll be really behind if all you've taken previously is precalc and trig. You should at least be learning that as you're taking the class in a class all to itself. If you've at least taken trigonometry it may be doable, but studying the physics book shouldn't be what you do over the summer. You should be studying a calculus text and work through the limits and derivatives chapters and probably the first two sections of the books coverage of integration. Then it's probably more doable. If you can do algebra well, then you shouldn't need precalc to learn those things over the summer. Talk to your counselors about your options, but if they say you can't take calculus in the fall, definitely focus on that over the summer.

Real talk though, you probably should just take AP Physics 1 and 2 next year if you can. Calculus based Mechanics and E&M aren't easy for most people, and you should go into them well prepared with a good math background.

I agree with Cake, you should be self-studying calculus over the summer. If you can get derivatives down and a bit of integrals (which is doable over the summer), then you'll be alright.

Thanks guys. I've also been considering self studying calculus, but have been told that it's very risky because I might teach myself incorrect concepts and get into the habit of using those incorrect concepts. I don't have the choice to take ap physics 1 and I haven't been accepted to take ap physics 2, so I don't think I can take that either. I'm also pretty sure that I would have to take pre calc before taking calculus in my school. Just in case I can't choose to take calculus next year, how would I go about it then? How would I go about efficiently and effectively self studying for the class without doing anything that might be detrimental to my ability to take the course (such as self studying incorrect concepts or learning concepts incorrectly)?

Moe777 said:
Thanks guys. I've also been considering self studying calculus, but have been told that it's very risky because I might teach myself incorrect concepts and get into the habit of using those incorrect concepts. I don't have the choice to take ap physics 1 and I haven't been accepted to take ap physics 2, so I don't think I can take that either. I'm also pretty sure that I would have to take pre calc before taking calculus in my school. Just in case I can't choose to take calculus next year, how would I go about it then? How would I go about efficiently and effectively self studying for the class without doing anything that might be detrimental to my ability to take the course (such as self studying incorrect concepts or learning concepts incorrectly)?

Watch MIT's open courseware video lectures for their single variable calculus course, and if you get a calculus book, slader.com has solutions worked out for most of the major texts for free. So if you make a mistake you can correct yourself very easily by looking at the solutions. Just be diligent. My recommendation is Stewart's calculus book.

Likes Amrator
Thank you very much. I will definitely consider doing this.

1. Should I take AP physics C even if I struggle with math?

It ultimately depends on how much you are willing to put in the effort to improve your math skills. AP physics C requires a strong foundation in math, especially in calculus. If you are willing to put in the extra time and effort to improve your math skills, then taking AP physics C may be worth it. However, if you struggle with math and are not willing to put in the extra effort, it may be better to take a different physics course.

2. Will taking AP physics C benefit me in college?

AP physics C is a rigorous course that covers a lot of material and prepares students for college-level physics courses. If you plan on majoring in a science or engineering field in college, taking AP physics C can help you get ahead and potentially earn college credit. However, if you do not plan on pursuing a science or engineering major, it may not be necessary to take AP physics C.

3. How much time should I expect to dedicate to AP physics C?

The amount of time you should dedicate to AP physics C depends on your current understanding of the subject and your study habits. On average, students should expect to spend about 5-7 hours per week on homework and studying for this course. However, this may vary depending on your learning style and the difficulty of the material for you.

4. Is it better to take AP physics C in high school or in college?

It is generally better to take AP physics C in high school if you have the opportunity. This allows you to get a head start on college-level coursework and potentially earn college credit. Additionally, taking AP physics C in high school can help you build a strong foundation in physics, making it easier to understand more advanced concepts in college.

5. How can I determine if AP physics C is right for me?

You can determine if AP physics C is right for you by considering your interest in physics, your math skills, and your academic goals. If you have a strong interest in physics and are willing to put in the extra effort to improve your math skills, then AP physics C may be a good fit for you. It is also important to discuss with your teacher or academic advisor to get their input and determine if AP physics C aligns with your academic goals.