Should I Take Graduate Level Cosmology?

In summary, the speaker is a physics Ph.D student who struggled in their first year of classes but still achieved excellent grades. They are considering taking only one class next semester and focusing on research, specifically in the areas of determining the role of massive Gravitons in dark matter and studying AGN black holes. They are torn between taking a Cosmology class or focusing on learning QFT and believe that taking the Cosmology class may be a waste of time. Ultimately, they want to do their dissertation work in noncommutative QFT and Modified Gravity applied to cosmological problems. They are seeking advice on whether they can skip the Cosmology class.
xdrgnh
I'm a physics Ph.D student who just complete his first year of classes. I struggled a lot and found this year to be academically the hardest of my life. However in the end I did get excellent grades in all of my core classes. I would really like to take it easy next semester and only take 1 class Relativistic Field Theory and maybe do research in either determining if massive Gravitons can be a good candidate for either cold dark matter or warm dark matter, or perhaps something in AGN black holes. However Cosmology is being offered next semester and one part of me wants to take it because I want to go into theoretical particle Cosmology. The other part says that it will distract me from learning QFT and it would be a waste of time because I took General Relativity and have already read large sections from multiple textbooks on Cosmology. Eventually I want to do my dissertation work in applications of noncommunative QFT and Modified Gravity to cosmological problems such as the accelerated expansion of the universe. Do you think I can get away with not taking Cosmology?

Physics news on Phys.org
Its up to you. If you think you're confident enough about cosmology to be able to think about it on your own(at least the parts relevant to your topic) and you're able to find the answers to your questions in papers and books efficiently, then I don't think you need the class.

1. What is the benefit of taking graduate level cosmology?

Taking graduate level cosmology can provide you with a deeper understanding of the universe and its origins. It can also open up career opportunities in fields such as astrophysics, cosmology research, and teaching.

2. Is graduate level cosmology difficult?

Yes, graduate level cosmology can be challenging as it involves advanced concepts in physics, mathematics, and astronomy. However, with dedication and hard work, it can be a rewarding and fulfilling experience.

3. Do I need a background in physics to take graduate level cosmology?

While a background in physics can be helpful, it is not always a requirement. Many graduate programs in cosmology accept students from various backgrounds, including astronomy, mathematics, and engineering.

4. Are there any prerequisites for taking graduate level cosmology?

Prerequisites may vary depending on the specific program, but most graduate level cosmology courses require a strong foundation in mathematics, including calculus and linear algebra. Some programs may also require knowledge in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics.

5. What career opportunities are available with a graduate degree in cosmology?

Graduate level cosmology can lead to a variety of career paths, including research positions in universities, government agencies, and private companies. It can also prepare you for a career in teaching or science communication. Additionally, a graduate degree in cosmology can open up opportunities for further studies in a PhD program.