Should Unused Inputs in a Quad 2 Input NOR Gate IC be Tied to Ground or Vcc?

• Thread starter TheRedDevil18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gate Ic
In summary, when using a quad 2 input NOR gate IC, it is important to tie any unused inputs to either ground or Vcc to prevent excessive current draw and potential output oscillation. The key is to not let any CMOS inputs float, as this can cause noise and affect the current draw of the IC. It is recommended to tie the inputs to either ground or Vcc to ensure proper operation and minimal current draw.
TheRedDevil18
I have a quad 2 input NOR gate ic in which I am only using two of the four gates. I have read on the internet that unused inputs must be tied to ground. But if I tie these inputs to ground then I would get a one on the output. Will that draw excessive current ?, should I tie them to Vcc instead so my output is zero ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
TheRedDevil18 said:
I have a quad 2 input NOR gate ic in which I am only using two of the four gates. I have read on the internet that unused inputs must be tied to ground. But if I tie these inputs to ground then I would get a one on the output. Will that draw excessive current ?, should I tie them to Vcc instead so my output is zero ?
You can tie them either way -- the key is not to let any CMOS inputs float, since they can float to mid-rail, which draws excessive current in the input stage, and can make the output oscillate creating noise. Whether the (open) output pin is high or low doesn't affect the Idd current draw for the CMOS gate.

To build on what Berkeman said a properly operating logic gate IC will draw current based on what is hooked to the output. So if you hook nothing to the output, you will draw the least current that is possible.

Thanks guys

1. What is an IC unused input NOR gate?

An IC unused input NOR gate is a type of logic gate that has multiple input pins and one output pin. It follows the NOR logic, where the output is only low when all of the input pins are high. Unused inputs refer to the input pins that are not connected to any external circuit.

2. How does an IC unused input NOR gate work?

An IC unused input NOR gate works by using transistors to compare the voltage levels of the input pins. If all of the input pins are high, the output will be low. However, if any of the input pins are low, the output will be high.

3. What is the purpose of unused inputs in an IC unused input NOR gate?

The purpose of unused inputs in an IC unused input NOR gate is to provide flexibility in circuit design. These inputs can be left unconnected, used as a control input, or connected to a fixed voltage level to create different logic functions.

4. Can unused inputs in an IC unused input NOR gate affect the output?

In most cases, unused inputs in an IC unused input NOR gate will not affect the output. However, if the unused inputs are not connected to a fixed voltage level, they may cause unpredictable behavior and affect the output.

5. How can unused inputs in an IC unused input NOR gate be utilized?

Unused inputs in an IC unused input NOR gate can be utilized by connecting them to a fixed voltage level to create different logic functions, such as an inverter or a buffer. They can also be used as control inputs for more complex logic circuits.