What is the output of a logic gate when one input is not connected?

In summary, the output of a logic gate will be set at one of three states, depending on the logic family used.
r731
Hello,

I'm currently studying a course in digital logic. The course is included in my IT program. And I have not taken a course in electronics yet; I will later.

My question basically is: what is the output of a logic gate given that one input is neither connected to a high voltage nor connected to ground? (That is, the input is not connected to anything.) And why?

debounceSR_large.gif

Tomorrow I'm having a lab, where I will connect a mechanical switch to a latch.
Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
In general case the output will be set at high state or at low state or somewhere between these two states. It all be depend on the logic family you are actually be using. And this is why we should never leave unused inputs floating. And always use a pull-up or pull-down resistors.

The power supplies to the logic gates are implicit and so not usually shown. In this case the supplies are assumed to be GND = 0V and +6V. Since four gates, each with two inputs and one output, are all in each package, they can share the two power supply pins. That makes 3*4 + 2 = 14 pins on the IC.

The “>=1” gate is an OR gate, but it has an inverted output, so it is a NOR gate.
The circuit shown is an RS flipflop. If you follow the logic state through the circuit, then flip the switch and watch the new state develop, you will understand why this circuit is called a switch de-bounce circuit.

r731 said:
My question basically is: what is the output of a logic gate given that one input is neither connected to a high voltage nor connected to ground? (That is, the input is not connected to anything.) And why

It is generally considered a design error to leave logic inputs floating. Especially with CMOS gates, floating inputs can cause problems with increased power consumption and noise generation. Always tie off unused logic inputs. :smile:

The “green” light emitting diodes in the OP diagram may be a problem because they prevent the input voltage being pulled hard down to zero.
If the LEDs are included then there should be another pull-down resistor in parallel with each (Resistor–LED) pair.

1. What are logic gates and switches?

Logic gates and switches are electronic components that are used to control the flow of electricity and perform logical operations in computer circuits. They are the building blocks of digital systems and are essential for processing and storing information.

2. How do logic gates and switches work?

Logic gates and switches work by receiving input signals and producing an output signal based on their internal logic function. The output signal is determined by the combination of input signals and the type of logic gate or switch being used. For example, an AND gate outputs a signal only when both of its input signals are high.

3. What are the different types of logic gates and switches?

There are several types of logic gates and switches, including AND gates, OR gates, NOT gates, NAND gates, NOR gates, XOR gates, and XNOR gates. Each type has a unique logic function and can be combined to create more complex circuits.

4. What are logic gates and switches used for?

Logic gates and switches are used in a variety of electronic devices, including computers, smartphones, and appliances. They are also used in control systems, such as traffic lights and automated machines, to make decisions based on input signals.

5. How are logic gates and switches designed?

Logic gates and switches are designed using electronic components, such as transistors and diodes, to create a specific logic function. The design process involves understanding the desired logic operation and selecting the appropriate components and circuit configuration to achieve it.