Show that four points lie on a plane

In summary, the conversation is about determining if four given points lie on the same plane and the method to do so is by using the dot product and cross product of the vectors formed by the points. The answer is found by setting the dot product equal to 0, which indicates that the points do lie on the same plane.
toupee

Homework Statement

(2; 0; 1); (-1; 2; 3); (3; 2; 2) and (3;-6;-3)

Homework Equations

PS→⋅(PR→×PQ→)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi all, I am just wondering if my calculations are correct, and in fact these points do not lie on a plane. My answer is = 50 and i am not confident. Can anyone help me please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It would be much easier to judge if what you are doing is correct if you actually showed us what you are doing.

Edit: Also, the points do lie in a plane - any solution not resulting in this is going to be wrong.

Last edited:
toupee said:
Hi all, I am just wondering if my calculations are correct, and in fact these points do not lie on a plane. My answer is = 50 and i am not confident. Can anyone help me please?

What is 50?

ehild

I have miss-read the question. All it is asking me to do, is prove that these points lie in the same plane. May i ask how?

If this is a homework problem or problem in a course you are taking there should be a description of how to determine this in your course literature. Have you tried applying that?

toupee said:
I have miss-read the question. All it is asking me to do, is prove that these points lie in the same plane. May i ask how?
You have the answer in your first post:
PS→⋅(PR→×PQ→)=0
(I assume the arrow after indicates "vector")

Any three points, such as P, Q, and R must lie in a plane so the two vectors PR and PQ lie in a plane and their cross product is perpendicular to the plane. The fourth point, S, lies in that same plane if and only the vector PS does also- and then its dot product with the perpendicular vector is 0.

Related to Show that four points lie on a plane

1. What does it mean for four points to lie on a plane?

When we say that four points lie on a plane, it means that these four points are coplanar, or that they all lie on the same flat surface. This surface is called a plane and can be imagined as a two-dimensional sheet or a tabletop.

2. How can you prove that four points lie on a plane?

To prove that four points lie on a plane, we can use the concept of collinearity, which means that the points lie on the same line. We can show that three of the four points are collinear, and then use the fact that any three points on a line lie on the same plane to prove that all four points lie on the same plane.

3. What is the minimum number of points needed to define a plane?

A plane can be defined by just three non-collinear points. This means that any three points that are not on the same line can be used to define a unique plane.

4. Can four non-collinear points ever not lie on a plane?

No, four non-collinear points will always lie on a plane. This is because a plane is a two-dimensional surface, and any four points in three-dimensional space will always lie on a two-dimensional surface.

5. What is the difference between a plane and a line?

A plane is a two-dimensional surface, while a line is a one-dimensional object. A plane can be thought of as a flat sheet, while a line can be thought of as a thin thread. Additionally, a plane is defined by at least three points, while a line is defined by just two points.