Show that Matrix Multiplication is Associative

In summary, to prove that (AB)C = A(BC), we use the definition of matrix multiplication and show that the (i,j)-entry of (AB)C is equal to the (i,j)-entry of A(BC). This is done by breaking down the entries of each matrix and using a double summation to show the equality. By carefully following the steps of the definition, we can see that (AB)C and A(BC) are indeed equal.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

Show that (AB)C=A(BC)

I am just trying to do this to try to gain some experience with problems like this. I saw in my text that they did a similar example for distributivity using the definition of matrix multiplication, so I thought I could use that approach.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the (i,j)-entry of A be given by aij
Let the (i,j)-entry of B be given by bij
Let the (i,j)-entry of C be given by cij

Then the (i,j)-entry of (AB) is given by

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^na_{ik}b_{kj}[/tex]

Here is where I get lost. I was thinking of then writing that the (i,j)-entry of (AB)C would be given by

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^n(a_{ik}b_{kj})c_{kj}[/tex]but I don't think that this works...and I am not sure why or why not:redface:

Any hints?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the right idea, but your element of (AB)C is incorrect. Each entry in AB is going to be a summation, and then each entry in (AB)C should be a summation in which each term contains a summation (specifically, the piece from AB is going to be a summation). So your final equation for the (i,j)th entry of (AB)C should contain a double summation.

Just walk through the definition of matrix multiplication real carefully and you should be able to get it

1. What is matrix multiplication?

Matrix multiplication is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying two matrices to produce a third matrix. It is represented by the symbol "x" or by placing the matrices next to each other without an operator in between.

2. What does it mean for matrix multiplication to be associative?

Associativity means that the order in which the matrices are multiplied does not affect the final result. In other words, (AxB)xC is equal to AxBxC, where A, B, and C are matrices.

3. How can I show that matrix multiplication is associative?

To show that matrix multiplication is associative, you can use the associative property of multiplication, which states that (a x b) x c is equal to a x (b x c). You can also use numerical examples or algebraic proofs.

4. Why is it important to prove that matrix multiplication is associative?

Proving that matrix multiplication is associative is important because it allows us to rearrange the order in which we multiply matrices without changing the final result. This is especially useful in complex calculations and in computer algorithms.

5. Are there any exceptions to the associative property of matrix multiplication?

No, there are no exceptions to the associative property of matrix multiplication. It applies to all matrices, regardless of their size or values. However, it is important to note that the commutative property does not hold for matrix multiplication.