Show that the metric tensor is independent of coordinate choice

In summary, this problem appears to be related to the chain rule for derivatives of linear operators. I need to use some property of the relalation between the coordinate systems to prove that g_{hk} is independent of the choice of the underlying rectangular coordinate system.
PrecPoint
Homework Statement
Let [itex]\overline{x^j}, \overline{\overline{x^j}} [/itex] denote the coordinates of an arbitrary point P of [itex]E_n[/itex] referred to two distinct rectangular coordinate systems. An arbitrary curvlinear system in [itex]E_n[/itex] is related to the two rectangular systems according to:
Relevant Equations
[itex]\overline{x^j}=\overline{x^j}(x^h),\qquad \overline{\overline{x^j}}=\overline{\overline{x^j}}(x^h)[/itex]

Show that:

[tex]\frac{\partial{\overline{x^j}}}{\partial{x^h}} \frac{\partial{\overline{x^j}}}{\partial{x^k}}=\frac{\partial{\overline{\overline{x^j}}}}{\partial{x^h}} \frac{\partial{\overline{\overline{x^j}}}}{\partial{x^k}}[/tex]
I need to use some property of the relalation between the coordinate systems to prove that [itex]g_{hk}[/itex] is independent of the choice of the underlying rectangular coordinate system.

I will try to borrow an idea from basic linear algebra. I expect any transformation between the rectangular systems to be orthogonal and hence should be able to use orthogonality. To illustrate my idea, I expect something along these lines (in linear algebra pseudocode):

[tex]\overline{\overline{x}}=A\overline{x},\quad A^TA=I,\quad (AJ)^T(AJ)=J^TA^TAJ=J^TJ[/tex]

Lets try:

[tex]\overline{x}^j=\frac{\partial{\overline{x^j}}}{\partial{\overline{\overline{x^m}}}}\overline{\overline{x^m}}[/tex]

Now the part where I get stuck

[tex]\frac{\partial{\overline{x^j}}}{\partial{x^h}}=\frac{\partial{^2\overline{x^j}}}{\partial{x^h}\partial{\overline{\overline{x^m}}}}\overline{\overline{x^m}}+\frac{\partial{\overline{x^j}}}{\partial{\overline{\overline{x^m}}}}\frac{\partial{\overline{\overline{x^m}}}}{\partial{x^h}}[/tex]

And likewise for the other factor. But a) I am very unsure of the derivates (this is my first tensor problem) and b) there is no easy identity- or delta quantity to be found. I suspect I am on the wrong track :(

Edit: btw, this is not a homework problem, but posted here anyway since there were no other suitable place to be found. The problem is from the book on Tensors by Lovelock and Rund

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Suggestions:

Use ##\overline{\overline{x}}=A\overline{x}## to show that ##\large \frac{\partial{\overline{\overline{x^j}}}}{\partial{\overline{x^r}}}## is a particular matrix element of ##A##.

Use the chain rule to express ##\large \frac{\partial{\overline{\overline{x^j}}}}{\partial{x^h}} ## in terms of partial derivatives of ##\overline{\overline{x^j}}## with respect to the ##\overline{x^r}##'s and the partial derivatives of the ##\overline{x^r}##'s with repsect to ##x^h##

Likes PrecPoint
Thank you very much TSny!

Using your suggestions I first thought about "matrix A" which should be:

[tex]A_{jr}=\frac{\partial\overline{\overline{x^j}}}{\partial{\overline{x^r}}}[/tex]

Now, using my analogy [itex]A^TA=I[/itex] (the transformation is orthogonal) we note that:

[tex]\frac{\partial\overline{\overline{x^j}}}{\partial{\overline{x^r}}}\frac{\partial\overline{\overline{x^j}}}{\partial{\overline{x^t}}}=\delta_{rt}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial\overline{\overline{x^j}}}{\partial{x^h}}=
\frac{\partial\overline{\overline{x^j}}}{\partial{\overline{x^r}}}\frac{\partial\overline{x^r}}{\partial{{x^h}}},\quad \frac{\partial\overline{\overline{x^j}}}{\partial{x^k}}=
\frac{\partial\overline{\overline{x^j}}}{\partial{\overline{x^t}}}\frac{\partial\overline{x^t}}{\partial{{x^k}}}
[/tex]

Applying this to the RHS of the original statement:

[tex]\frac{\partial\overline{\overline{x^j}}}{\partial{x^h}}\frac{\partial\overline{\overline{x^j}}}{\partial{x^k}}=\frac{\partial\overline{\overline{x^j}}}{\partial{\overline{x^r}}}\frac{\partial\overline{x^r}}{\partial{x^h}}\frac{\partial\overline{\overline{x^j}}}{\partial{\overline{x^t}}}\frac{\partial\overline{x^t}}{\partial{x^k}}=\delta_{rt}\frac{\partial\overline{x^r}}{\partial{x^h}}\frac{\partial\overline{x^t}}{\partial{x^k}}=\frac{\partial\overline{x^t}}{\partial{x^h}}\frac{\partial\overline{x^t}}{\partial{x^k}}[/tex]

Which is what we wanted.

Looks good!

1. How is the metric tensor defined?

The metric tensor is a mathematical object that describes the distance between two points in a given space. In other words, it measures the geometric properties of a space, such as the length of curves or the angle between vectors.

2. What does it mean for the metric tensor to be independent of coordinate choice?

When we say that the metric tensor is independent of coordinate choice, it means that the numerical values of the components of the tensor do not change when we switch to a different coordinate system. This is a fundamental property of the metric tensor and is crucial for its use in physics and mathematics.

3. How is the independence of the metric tensor proven?

The independence of the metric tensor can be proven mathematically by using the transformation laws for tensors. These laws show that the components of the metric tensor transform in a specific way when we switch to a different coordinate system, which ultimately leads to the conclusion that the tensor is indeed independent of coordinate choice.

4. Why is it important for the metric tensor to be independent of coordinate choice?

The independence of the metric tensor is important because it allows us to use it in different coordinate systems without having to worry about making changes to its numerical values. This makes it a powerful tool for solving problems in physics and mathematics, as it simplifies calculations and makes them more general.

5. Are there any exceptions to the independence of the metric tensor?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the independence of the metric tensor. In certain cases, such as in non-Euclidean spaces or when dealing with curved spacetime in general relativity, the metric tensor may depend on the coordinate system. However, these exceptions are typically well-defined and do not affect the overall independence of the tensor.