Show that two quantified statements are logically equivalent

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalent
In summary: It is always a good idea to start this way: What does it mean, if one side were wrong? Can the other still be true?If one side were wrong, then the other side would have to be wrong as well. If one side were false, then the other side would have to be false as well.No, it doesn't. If one side were false, then the other side would still have to be true.Yes, it does.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Show that ##\forall x(P(x) \land Q(x)) \equiv \forall xP(x) \land \forall xQ(x)##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Based on my work from propositional logic, to show that two expressions are logically equivalent, then we have to show that ##\forall x(P(x) \land Q(x)) \Longleftrightarrow \forall xP(x) \land \forall xQ(x)## is a tautology; that is, it is always true. It is always true if they have the same truth values for all x in the domain. For propositional logic, it was a matter of listing out the finite combinations of truth values and showing that they are always the same. However, with predicate logic, we are dealing with an infinite domain of discourse, so we can't just list them off. How should I proceed then?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
Show that ##\forall (P(x) \land Q(x)) \equiv \forall P(x) \land \forall Q(x)##

What variable does ##\forall## quantify? Did you mean ##( \forall x, P(x) \land Q(x)\ ) \equiv (\forall x, P(x))\land(\forall x, Q(x)) ##.

What assumptions and theorems have you studied in proposition logic ? "Universal generalization", "Existential instantiation" etc. ?

Stephen Tashi said:
What variable does ##\forall## quantify? Did you mean ##( \forall x, P(x) \land Q(x)\ ) \equiv (\forall x, P(x))\land(\forall x, Q(x)) ##.

What assumptions and theorems have you studied in proposition logic ? "Universal generalization", "Existential instantiation" etc. ?
I fixed the errors in the original post.

I was thinking that maybe I could use universal generalization to show that, if the LHS is true, then ##P(a) \land Q(a)## is true for all a in the domain. Then by universal generalization, we would have the RHS. However, I don't see how this establishes that the biconditional is a tautology, which is necessary to show that they are logically equivalent.

Mr Davis 97 said:
However, I don't see how this establishes that the biconditional is a tautology, which is necessary to show that they are logically equivalent.

A biconditional is just two conditionals. Show each separately.

Stephen Tashi said:
A biconditional is just two conditionals. Show each separately.
If I show that LHS implies the RHS, and that the RHS implies the LHS, then I would show that one being true implies that the other is true. But in order for it to be a tautology, don't you have to also show that if one is false than the other must be false as well?

Mr Davis 97 said:
If I show that LHS implies the RHS, and that the RHS implies the LHS, then I would show that one being true implies that the other is true. But in order for it to be a tautology, don't you have to also show that if one is false than the other must be false as well?

That will depend on how your text materials define the relation "##\equiv##".

Is there a theorem or definition in your materials that says: ## ( ( A \implies B) \land (B \implies A) ) \implies A \equiv B## ?

Likes Mr Davis 97
Mr Davis 97 said:
But in order for it to be a tautology, don't you have to also show that if one is false than the other must be false as well?
It is always a good idea to start this way: What does it mean, if one side were wrong? Can the other still be true?
And then the other way around.

Likes Mr Davis 97

1. What does it mean for two quantified statements to be logically equivalent?

Two quantified statements are said to be logically equivalent when they have the same truth value for all possible interpretations of their variables. This means that they will always have either both true or both false as their truth values, regardless of the specific values assigned to their variables.

2. How can I show that two quantified statements are logically equivalent?

To show that two quantified statements are logically equivalent, you can use logical equivalences and rules of inference to transform one statement into the other. If the transformed statements have the same form and truth values, then the original statements are logically equivalent.

3. Can two quantified statements with different variable names be logically equivalent?

Yes, two quantified statements with different variable names can still be logically equivalent. As long as the statements have the same form and truth values, the specific names assigned to the variables do not affect their logical equivalence.

4. Are all logically equivalent statements also logically valid?

No, not all logically equivalent statements are also logically valid. Logical equivalence only means that two statements have the same truth values, while logical validity refers to the argument's structure and whether it is logically sound.

5. Why is it important to show that two quantified statements are logically equivalent?

Showing that two quantified statements are logically equivalent helps us better understand the relationship between different statements and their logical equivalence. It also allows us to simplify complex statements and make logical deductions based on the equivalences between different statements.