Logic: proof that [p -> (q ^ r)] <=> [(p ^ -q) -> r]

In summary, the conversation discusses the logical equivalence of [p -> (q v r)] and [(p ^ -q) -> r], with the use of symbols such as "or," "and," and "negation of q." The individual has used truth tables to prove the equivalence, but someone suggests using axioms and rules of inference as an alternative method. The individual acknowledges this as a potentially easier method for more complex proofs.
member 587159
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown.
I'm preparing for college on my own. I need to proof that:

[p -> (q v r)] and [(p ^ -q) -> r] are logically equivalent.

with
1) v "or"
2) ^ "and"
3) -q "negation of q"

I did this using truth tables and this perfectly shows that those 2 statements are logically equivalent. Can someone confirm that this is the way of proving this? Is there an easier way? Keep in mind that I learned this matter myself so I will most likely not understand difficult answers :)

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Math_QED said:

with
1) v "or"
2) ^ "and"
3) -q "negation of q"

I did this using truth tables and this perfectly shows that those 2 statements are logically equivalent. Can someone confirm that this is the way of proving this? Is there an easier way?
Sounds good to me. Using truth tables is probably the easiest way to go.
Math_QED said:
Keep in mind that I learned this matter myself so I will most likely not understand difficult answers :)

Thanks in advance.

Likes member 587159
Math_QED said:

with
1) v "or"
2) ^ "and"
3) -q "negation of q"

I did this using truth tables and this perfectly shows that those 2 statements are logically equivalent. Can someone confirm that this is the way of proving this? Is there a simpler or easier way? Keep in mind that I learned this matter myself so I will most likely not understand difficult answers :)

Thanks in advance.

Well, truth tables are a perfectly good way to establish tautologies in classical propositional logic. An alternative that is useful for understanding proof theory is to establish it using axioms and rules of inference. There are lots of different ways to axiomatize propositional logic, but here's one way:

Axioms:
  1. [itex]A \rightarrow (B \rightarrow A)[/itex]
  2. [itex](A \rightarrow (B \rightarrow C)) \rightarrow ((A \rightarrow B) \rightarrow (A \rightarrow C))[/itex]
  3. [itex]A \rightarrow (A \vee B)[/itex]
  4. [itex]B \rightarrow (A \vee B)[/itex]
  5. [itex](A \rightarrow C) \rightarrow ((B \rightarrow C) \rightarrow ((A \vee B) \rightarrow C))[/itex]
  6. [itex]A \rightarrow (B \rightarrow (A \wedge B))[/itex]
  7. [itex](A \rightarrow (B \rightarrow C)) \rightarrow ((A \wedge B) \rightarrow C)[/itex]
  8. [itex]A \rightarrow (\neg A \rightarrow B)[/itex]
  9. [itex](\neg (\neg A)) \rightarrow A[/itex]
  10. [itex](A \leftrightarrow B) \rightarrow (A \rightarrow B)[/itex]
  11. [itex](A \leftrightarrow B) \rightarrow (B \rightarrow A)[/itex]
Rule of inference: (Modus ponens is the name of this rule)

From [itex]A[/itex], and [itex]A \rightarrow B[/itex], conclude [itex]B[/itex].​

With this style of deduction, a proof consists of a sequence of statements such that every statement is either a substitution instance of an axiom (that is, replace each propositional variable by a full boolean expression), or follows from previous statements by modus ponens.

For example: To prove the trivial fact [itex](A \wedge B) \rightarrow A[/itex]:
  1. [itex]A \rightarrow (B \rightarrow A)[/itex] (Axiom 1)
  2. [itex](A \rightarrow (B \rightarrow A)) \rightarrow ((A \wedge B) \rightarrow A)[/itex] (Axiom 7 with [itex]C[/itex] replaced by [itex]A[/itex])
  3. [itex](A \wedge B) \rightarrow A[/itex] (By Modus Ponens from 1 and 2)

Likes member 587159
stevendaryl said:
Well, truth tables are a perfectly good way to establish tautologies in classical propositional logic. An alternative that is useful for understanding proof theory is to establish it using axioms and rules of inference. There are lots of different ways to axiomatize propositional logic, but here's one way:

Axioms:
  1. [itex]A \rightarrow (B \rightarrow A)[/itex]
  2. [itex](A \rightarrow (B \rightarrow C)) \rightarrow ((A \rightarrow B) \rightarrow (A \rightarrow C))[/itex]
  3. [itex]A \rightarrow (A \vee B)[/itex]
  4. [itex]B \rightarrow (A \vee B)[/itex]
  5. [itex](A \rightarrow C) \rightarrow ((B \rightarrow C) \rightarrow ((A \vee B) \rightarrow C))[/itex]
  6. [itex]A \rightarrow (B \rightarrow (A \wedge B))[/itex]
  7. [itex](A \rightarrow (B \rightarrow C)) \rightarrow ((A \wedge B) \rightarrow C)[/itex]
  8. [itex]A \rightarrow (\neg A \rightarrow B)[/itex]
  9. [itex](\neg (\neg A)) \rightarrow A[/itex]
  10. [itex](A \leftrightarrow B) \rightarrow (A \rightarrow B)[/itex]
  11. [itex](A \leftrightarrow B) \rightarrow (B \rightarrow A)[/itex]
Rule of inference: (Modus ponens is the name of this rule)

From [itex]A[/itex], and [itex]A \rightarrow B[/itex], conclude [itex]B[/itex].​

With this style of deduction, a proof consists of a sequence of statements such that every statement is either a substitution instance of an axiom (that is, replace each propositional variable by a full boolean expression), or follows from previous statements by modus ponens.

For example: To prove the trivial fact [itex](A \wedge B) \rightarrow A[/itex]:
  1. [itex]A \rightarrow (B \rightarrow A)[/itex] (Axiom 1)
  2. [itex](A \rightarrow (B \rightarrow A)) \rightarrow ((A \wedge B) \rightarrow A)[/itex] (Axiom 7 with [itex]C[/itex] replaced by [itex]A[/itex])
  3. [itex](A \wedge B) \rightarrow A[/itex] (By Modus Ponens from 1 and 2)

Thanks for the answer. I think this might be more useful when you need to prove more difficult things, other than the expression I initially listed above. Truth tables can become very large when you have a large expression so I suppose that this is easier to use then (with some practise of course)

1. What is the meaning of "p -> (q ^ r)"?

"p -> (q ^ r)" means that if p is true, then both q and r must also be true.

2. How is the proof of "p -> (q ^ r)" different from the proof of "[(p ^ -q) -> r]"?

The proof of "p -> (q ^ r)" involves showing that if p is true, then both q and r are true. On the other hand, the proof of "[(p ^ -q) -> r]" involves showing that if both p and -q (not q) are true, then r must also be true.

3. What does the "<=>" symbol mean in the statement?

The "<=>" symbol represents a bi-conditional or if and only if statement. It means that the statement on the left side of the symbol is true if and only if the statement on the right side is also true.

4. How can I use this proof in real life?

This proof is commonly used in mathematics and computer science to show the logical equivalence of different statements. In real life, it can be used to analyze and understand complex arguments and to determine whether certain statements are logically equivalent.

5. Is this proof always applicable?

Yes, this proof is applicable in any situation where logical equivalency needs to be proven between two statements. However, it is important to note that the statements must follow the rules of logic in order for the proof to be valid.