Show Wolfram Alpha's answer is equivalent to my answer.

In summary, Wolfram Alpha's answer is equivalent to my answer as it provides a comprehensive and accurate solution to the given problem or question. It utilizes advanced algorithms and data sources to generate a detailed and reliable output that can be used for various purposes such as education, research, and data analysis. Its user-friendly interface and wide range of features make it a valuable tool for obtaining quick and precise answers. Overall, Wolfram Alpha's answer can be trusted and is a valuable resource for those seeking accurate information.
jlmccart03

Homework Statement

Integrate x2(2+x3)4dx.
Show that Wolfram Alpha's answer is equivalent to your answer.

Homework Equations

No equations besides knowing that the integral of xpower is 1/power+1 * xpower + 1

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have the answer to the integral by hand as (2+x3)5)/15 + C.
When I go to Wolfram Alpha it gives x15/15 + 2x12/3 + 8x9/3 + 16x6/3 + 16x3/3 + C

I really truly have no idea how these two are the same. I tried multiple types of manipulation to my answer, but I am completely lost on where basically every factor comes from besides the first x15/15.

Any help will be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is correct.

They expanded ##(2+x^3)^5## as ##x^{15} + 10 x^{12} + 40 x^9 + 80 x^6 + 80 x^3 + 32## (this can be found using Newton's binomium). Thus, after dividing both sides with 15, we get:

##\frac{(2+x^3)^5}{15} = x^{15} /15 + 2x^{12}/3 + 8x^9/3 + 16x^6/3 + 16x^3/3 + 32/15##

However, the constant in the primitive function does not matter (as we write ##+ c## anyway), so we can drop the ##32/15## safely.

Math_QED said:
Your answer is correct.

They expanded ##(2+x^3)^5## as ##x^{15} + 10 x^{12} + 40 x^9 + 80 x^6 + 80 x^3 + 32## (this can be found using Newton's binomium). Thus, after dividing both sides with 15, we get:

##\frac{(2+x^3)^5}{15} = x^{15} /15 + 2x^{12}/3 + 8x^9/3 + 16x^6/3 + 16x^3/3 + 32/15##

However, the constant in the solution of an indefinite integral does not matter, so we can drop the ##32/15## safely.
Ok, So they simply expanded the numerator using a thing called Newton's binomium? I will do some research on that, but I do not think we have ever learned what Newton's Binomium is. Thanks for explaining how this worked. I was completely lost on how it worked, but now it seemed relatively simple.

Math_QED said:
You could just have done the multiplications by hand using the distribiutivity property, but the Binomial theorem would be faster:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_theorem
OHHHHHHH that is what that is called. Ok, so I have done that before. Totally did not think of that as a solution. Thanks for the link, totally forgot that I could use that method.

Related to Show Wolfram Alpha's answer is equivalent to my answer.

1. How accurate is Wolfram Alpha's answer compared to my own answer?

Wolfram Alpha's answer is usually very accurate, as it uses advanced algorithms and extensive data sets to provide precise results. However, it is always important to double-check and verify the answer to ensure its accuracy.

2. Does Wolfram Alpha's answer take into account all relevant factors?

Wolfram Alpha's answer is based on the information and data it has access to. It takes into account all relevant factors that are included in its data sets. However, if a specific factor is not included in its data, the answer may not reflect its impact.

3. Can Wolfram Alpha's answer be used as a reliable source for academic or research purposes?

Wolfram Alpha's answer can be a useful starting point for academic or research purposes, but it should not be used as the sole source of information. It is always important to verify the answer and use other reputable sources to support the findings.

4. Can I trust Wolfram Alpha's answer over my own calculations?

Wolfram Alpha's answer is based on advanced algorithms and data sets, which may provide a more accurate result than your own calculations. However, it is always important to double-check and verify the answer to ensure its accuracy.

5. How does Wolfram Alpha handle complex or multi-step problems?

Wolfram Alpha is equipped to handle complex and multi-step problems by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable steps. It uses a combination of algorithms and data sets to provide a comprehensive and accurate solution to complex problems.