Showing a limit exists using differentiability

In summary, if f:(a,b)→ℝ is differentiable on (a,b) and |f'(x)| < 1 for all x in (a,b), and an is a sequence in (a,b) that converges to a, then the limit as n goes to infinity of f(an) exists. This can be shown by applying the mean value theorem and using the fact that a convergent sequence in R is a Cauchy sequence, which implies that the sequence f(an) is also Cauchy and therefore has a limit.
B3NR4Y
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Assume f:(a,b)→ℝ is differentiable on (a,b) and that |f'(x)| < 1 for all x in (a,b). Let an
be a sequence in (a,b) so that an→a. Show that the limit as n goes to infinity of f(an) exists.

Homework Equations

We've learned about the mean value theorem, and all of that fun stuff.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to start so I brainstormed a couple of things I noticed[/B]
I know that since |f'(x)| is always less than one, any sequence of points will be bounded. Since they are bounded they are cauchy.
I also know that
## lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x+h) - f(x)}{h} ## exists for all x. I assume this should also mean that ## lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{f(a_n)-f(a)}{a_n - a} ## exists. I think with these two facts I can construct a proof but I don't know if either of the two are correct

Physics news on Phys.org
B3NR4Y said:

Homework Statement

Assume f:(a,b)→ℝ is differentiable on (a,b) and that |f'(x)| < 1 for all x in (a,b). Let an
be a sequence in (a,b) so that an→a. Show that the limit as n goes to infinity of f(an) exists.

Homework Equations

We've learned about the mean value theorem, and all of that fun stuff.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to start so I brainstormed a couple of things I noticed[/B]
I know that since |f'(x)| is always less than one, any sequence of points will be bounded. Since they are bounded they are cauchy.
I also know that
## lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x+h) - f(x)}{h} ## exists for all x. I assume this should also mean that ## lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{f(a_n)-f(a)}{a_n - a} ## exists. I think with these two facts I can construct a proof but I don't know if either of the two are correct
Hint:

Take two element of the sequence, ##a_n## and ##a_m##, and apply the mean value theorem for these two values.
That should give you an interesting upper bound for ## |f(a_n)-f(a_m)|##.

It is not true that a bounded sequence is Cauchy.
But, a convergent sequence is a Cauchy sequence, and in ℝ a Cauchy sequence has a limit. This, together with the upper bound for ## |f(a_n)-f(a_m)|## should lead to a solution.

Last edited:
Ok so applying the mean value theorem, there is an x in (am,an) so that ## \frac{f(a_m) - f(a_n)}{a_m - a_n} = f'(x) ## taking the absolute value of both sides, ## |f(a_m) - f(a_n)| < |a_m - a_n| ##. Since an is convergent, |am - an| is always less than some epsilon greater than zero (because it is a convergent sequence in R and therefore Cauchy), and so |f(am) - f(an)| is also always less than that epsilon. This is the definition of a cauchy sequence, so the sequence f(an) must have a limit.

Is this the right path?

B3NR4Y said:
Ok so applying the mean value theorem, there is an x in (am,an) so that ## \frac{f(a_m) - f(a_n)}{a_m - a_n} = f'(x) ## taking the absolute value of both sides, ## |f(a_m) - f(a_n)| < |a_m - a_n| ##. Since an is convergent, |am - an| is always less than some epsilon greater than zero (because it is a convergent sequence in R and therefore Cauchy), and so |f(am) - f(an)| is also always less than that epsilon. This is the definition of a cauchy sequence, so the sequence f(an) must have a limit.

Is this the right path?
Yes.
Essentially you have that ##(f(a_n))_n## is a Cauchy sequence, therefore convergent.

Maybe a remark: where you say "is always less than some epsilon", you should add "for n and m sufficiently large". But that is probably what you implicitely meant.

Likes B3NR4Y

1. How do you show a limit exists using differentiability?

To show that a limit exists using differentiability, we can use the definition of differentiability. This means proving that the derivative of the function at a point exists and is equal to the limit of the function as the input approaches that point.

2. What is the difference between a limit and a derivative?

A limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. It does not depend on the function being continuous or differentiable. A derivative, on the other hand, is a measure of how a function changes at a specific point and is defined as the slope of the tangent line at that point.

3. Why is differentiability important when showing a limit exists?

Differentiability is important in showing that a limit exists because it guarantees that the function is "smooth" at that point and has a well-defined slope. This makes it easier to calculate the limit and prove its existence.

4. Can a function be differentiable at a point but not have a limit at that point?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be differentiable at a point but not have a limit at that point. This can happen when the function has a sharp corner or a vertical tangent at that point, which makes it impossible to define a limit.

5. Are there any other methods for showing a limit exists besides using differentiability?

Yes, there are other methods for showing a limit exists, such as using the squeeze theorem, the epsilon-delta definition, or graphically analyzing the behavior of the function. However, using differentiability is often the most straightforward and efficient method.